jillian michaels???

Options
missmcal23
missmcal23 Posts: 6 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Today I thought to myself 'I know, lets stick ripped in 30 week 1 on'. I hate to admit that I am a couch potato. But I am. Which is why I got so bleedimg heavy! But I digres. Do I put week one on, and I literally cannot believe how unfit and out of shape I am
I even cried about 15 mins through because I felt sick. I got to about 25 mins of the way through before I physically couldnt do anymore. I am sweaty, exhausted, out of breath and my face is like a tomato. I feel totally disgusted with myself to say the least.

Are there any newbies to exercise out there giving any if jillians workouts a go? Is this worth persevering for someone new to exercise?

Replies

• deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It is worth it!
    It is very hard for someone who isn't much of an exerciser!
    Work up to it, start doing circuit 1! the next day add the second circuit! do as much as you physically can!
    Eventually you will be able to finish the entire level, but it is going to be hard!
    I have done it 3 times already and i still suffer, huff and puff for the entire 20 mins!
    But this is it ,... it is ONLY 20 mins!
    It takes more time to cook rice than to do a level of ripped in 30!

I lost 3 pants sizes and 1 dress size so far on Ripped in 30 and 30 day shred alone!
    On my first round, I dropped so many inches even my mother did not recognize me!
    Good luck!
  • lkeverett1
    lkeverett1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first tried Jullian Michael's 30 day shred. I didn't even make it thru the warm up, I was huffing and puffing . The next try I thought I was going to throw up and laid down on the couch three different times. I decided I would do as much as I could do on each exercise and make it through the DVD. Each time I was able to do the exercises longer and put more into it. I kept trying and now I am able to make it all the way through and really put a lot of effort into and I actually feel good when I am finished (mentally and physically). I think persistence in the key.:happy:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! Put it this way...if you don't keep doing it, you'll be no better than you are today and you'll continue to be disgusted with yourself. BUT if you keep popping that DVD in and getting up off the couch, with time and practice that routine is going to be easy as pie!

Welcome to that area we like to call "outside of your comfort zone". It's a necessary trip for anyone new to exercise. Trust me, I get it1 I used to HATE getting sweaty - mostly because that also involved me getting crazy overheated and uncomfortable andt that's just no fun. BUT it didn't make me give up. And I guarantee, in time, this condition won't be so uncomfortable for you.

Concidentally, I saw a great motivation quote meme the other day that fits this situation nicely.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to become great."
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    As bored as I get of these "30 day" programs.... I did 30day shred (well most of it) and it did work... it isn't how much of it you can do but how much effort you put into it. Keep trying! It gets better and eventually you'll be able to do everything! And the results are worth it :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're heavy and don't work out ever, it's going to be a challenge when you put on a workout DVD. But here's the thing: it's going to be a challenge when you do ANY exercise. You want to start working out? Then do it. Don't say it's too hard. Get a little better every day, even if you still can't do the whole thing yet. Do your DVD until you can kick its *kitten*! Go for walks. Get active now instead of giving up because you're tired. And believe me, even though I'm in pretty decent shape, sometimes I work out and am just like "Blech, I want to quit right now." It's tiring, and it's HARD. But don't let that stop you from getting what you want.
  • missmcal23
    missmcal23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Its just so hard making yourself push through it when its so easy to just not bother and give up! I think I expect too mmuchtoo soon haha! But I have seen plenty of wonderful before and after pics on here. Which is what helped motivate me to do it. Plus I love jillian shes a fab motivator. How many times have you guys done the ripped in 30? Have you tried any of her other dvds?
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    So if a person could only get one of her DVDs, which would you all recommend? I'm normally not a fan of exercise videos, but if they actually work it's worth a try!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    So if a person could only get one of her DVDs, which would you all recommend? I'm normally not a fan of exercise videos, but if they actually work it's worth a try!

If you're more of a beginner, I'd say 30 Day Shred. It seems to be the one that people are most likely to stick with and get the most results. I personally hated Ripped in 30.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's worth it. Do it. A month from now you won't regret it and will probably be feeling a lot better after each workout than you did today. Today is the day you could start changing your life.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options

If you're more of a beginner, I'd say 30 Day Shred. It seems to be the one that people are most likely to stick with and get the most results. I personally hated Ripped in 30.

Right on, thanks!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Its just so hard making yourself push through it when its so easy to just not bother and give up! I think I expect too mmuchtoo soon haha! But I have seen plenty of wonderful before and after pics on here. Which is what helped motivate me to do it. Plus I love jillian shes a fab motivator. How many times have you guys done the ripped in 30? Have you tried any of her other dvds?

I love all her DVDs, she is pretty awesome at what she does. 30 Day Shred to me is the best for people just starting out. In 30DS each level is only 25-27minutes long. And since you say that you were only able to get through 25minutes of Ripped in 30( which I believe has 30-35 minute routines) than you can do this. I her workouts are short but intense. Just think about it like this "Its only 25 minutes" 25 minutes out of your 24hr day and I saw results within the first week. Some people put on water weight in the beginning especially those new to exercise. DO NOT BE ALARMED keep at it and by the end of week 2 or 3 you will be very proud of what you have done and you will see results. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any JM DVD's, but if you feel any workout is beyond your level of fitness, then you need to either modify it or switch to something lighter. Increase intensity as you become more fit. If all you can do is walk then that is completely fine. Walking is great exercise and is exponentially better than sitting on the couch!

Always push yourself, but never push so far that you burn out and quit or injure yourself. Be sure to give yourself time for recovery. If you are overly sore (some soreness should be expected, especially at first), then take a rest day.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Ripped in 30 and I thought it was tough... until I popped in Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism! Now THAT is a tough DVD. So now I happily pop in RI30 because even though its tough and I'm sweating and panting by the end.... at least I can make it to the end!!!!!
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Right on, thanks!

as a dude, i have tried both. i prefer the way the Ripped is set up. and you get 4 routines instead of 3. but ya, harder than the shred. a lot more sweating involved in the ripped. i am only to the 3rd routine and my thighs were screaming.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start with 30 day shred! It is a bit easier than ripped in 30!
    Usually people start with the 30DS and then 'evolve' to Ripped in 30!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I've been on this fitness thing for almost 2 years now, and Jillian still manages to kick my butt. It sounds so easy--a 30-minute workout--but she packs a lot in. And as a beginner, that sounds like a great choice. I started with 30DS (b/c no one could see me in my living room), then moved on to the gym, and now I'm training for a Half Marathon. You can get there--just start with week one, count your calories, and move at your own pace.

Side note: My favorite is Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. Also Shred It With Weights if you want to purchase a kettlebell or larger dumbbell.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I've been on this fitness thing for almost 2 years now, and Jillian still manages to kick my butt. It sounds so easy--a 30-minute workout--but she packs a lot in. And as a beginner, that sounds like a great choice. I started with 30DS (b/c no one could see me in my living room), then moved on to the gym, and now I'm training for a Half Marathon. You can get there--just start with week one, count your calories, and move at your own pace.

Side note: My favorite is Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. Also Shred It With Weights if you want to purchase a kettlebell or larger dumbbell.

Warning! - Do NOT attempt to learn proper kettlebell form using Shred it with Weights.... Jillian certainly didn't
  • KayLasMack
    KayLasMack Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This sounds like something I would love to try. When core secrets came out about 6 or 7 years ago, I stuck with that workout and lost about 74lbs in 8 months. I tried core secrets again about a week ago and must say I wasn't challenged anymore. I"ve been looking for a new home workout and I think I'll give this a try:happy:
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Her videos are designed to push you. There is no slacking with JM. I LOVE her workouts but now I just do her yoga as I am a gym junkie. Her videos are worth it. And the fact you did 25 minutes is amazing!! Better than doing nothing.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I started 30 day shred And today I finished day 9 in the 10 days since I started. I was very out of shape. I was only aloud to do waking or swimming for 30 mins when going through some medical issues and then I had a very painful pregnancy and basically couldn't get off the couch. When I first tried 30ds I would stop for a couple seconds and feel like I couldn't continue, but I did. I pushed myself to finish (but had to take a few breaks and do some modified moves). Now almost done level 1 it is so much easier. I know when I start level 2 I will feel like I am dying again, but it is worth it to feel better about yourself and get in some exercise!

A lot of people seem to do Ripped after Shred so maybe do shred first. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.