Neeeeeeeeeeerd Girl

Options
I've been on MFP for a long time, but just re-started last week. I'm a nerd girl looking to be a healthy nerd girl. At the very least I had to curb my happy-eating after starting a new relationship last year. We've been together almost a year and I think maybe it's time I rein it in. :)

Anyway, I've lost 3 pounds so far this past week and a half and I'm feeling great, even when I feel hungry! Given that I used to eat all the time regardless of if I was hungry, I forgot what hungry felt like. I'm enjoying being a math nerd and counting my calories and exercise, too.

I used to run more often - a couple of years ago I did 2 5Ks in a year (which, given my sedentary lifestyle and hatred of running as a child/adolescent, was shocking). I hurt my knee this year and am working on getting it back up to run-able. I'd love to run a marathon one day. But I find it really hard to get motivated to run at this weight. I just feel like I'm dragging so much body weight that it's hard not to feel my feet hit the ground hard, and feel the jiggles all over when they do. So I'm hoping to use calorie deficit to slim down a little until I feel like I'm not lugging around a huge middle and will be more motivated to run. Right now I'm walking to start anyway because of my knee.

I'm an omni-nerd, into sci-fi, fantasy, and gaming (video & board). I'm a cosplayer at Dragon*Con every year, and I'd really like to bring my weight down so I feel more comfortable in my costumes (see my pics for one of me as Black Canary from Smallville - I built that costume and spent the whole time feeling fat; waste of hours and hours of my life...)

Basically, I want to get healthy and active again so I can survive the zombie apocalypse when it comes.

Replies

• BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    in for surviving the zombie apocalypse.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    WB SlytherinPref! You can do this! On another note: zombie apocalypse? Do tell!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Also in for Zombie survival. It's one of my goals on my profile :P
  • mpizzle421
    mpizzle421 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Zombies eat fat. True story.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    In for zombies!

Also, to recommend www.nerdfitness.com - he has ideas for non-running exercise!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    In for survival!
    In for nerds!
    In for Illinois!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    hi! I read your intro and here's a couple of MFP groups that you may like to join.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/19-mfp-gamers
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3566-the-geek-squid
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Zombies eat fat. True story.

is this true? I am adding this to my list of motivation!!!!!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just started again after having my son, so I am similar to you in when I originally started.

I am also a geek (my husband's endearment for me is his little geek lol) and I am so jealous you get to go to dragon con! I always wanted to go as a Wheel of Time character and only a select few would know who I was. :-) I would love to see pictures of your costumes. I love Smallville too.

P.S. I am all in for getting fit so I can kick some zombie butt in a zombie apocalypse! Otherwise I won't be able to learn the katana.
  • SlytherinPrefect
    SlytherinPrefect Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! I think my weapon of choice in the Zombiepocalypse will be a crossbow. :D
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Sci-Fi nerds?! I'm in!! :D I would also love to cosplay but I am wayyyy too insecure to do it yet.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I love me some D*C. Too busy to go this year, but I already have my pass for next year. I plan to actually be in shape enough next year to pull off Riker.
  • SlytherinPrefect
    Options
    That's funny, I've got my tickets too and I hope to be in shape enough to pull of T'Pol. :) Unless I grow my hair out between now and then. We'll see.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Fluffy or not, you looked adorable in that costume!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    <---definite nerd/geek girl here checking in. add me if you'd like :) and WELCOME!
  • MrsRosenow
    MrsRosenow Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sent you a request but wanted to say hi here too :)
    Do try Zombie Run 5K app :)
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Fellow nerd reporting for duty! I just posted in another nerd thread and I'm lazy so I'll just copy and paste my nerdy interests that I listed there:

Sherlock
    Doctor Who
    Firefly
    Comic books (I'm reading Sandman and Before Watchmen currently)
    Sci Fi and fantasy
    BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS OMG ALL THE BOOKS GET ME A BOOK (p.s. I saw a fitting quote on tumblr recently: I like my men how I like my books: well-read and leather bound. Hahaha!)
    Video games: Pokemon, Okami, Katamari Damacy, Mario, Zelda, God of War, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania, Castle Crashers, Minecraft...this list goes on)
    A Song of Ice and Fire
    Harry Potter
    Hunger Games
    Supernatural
    Rennaisance Fair (I climbed the rock climbing wall at my local renn. faire WHILE WEARING A CORSET AND SKIRT, and made it to the top on my first try. Thank you, push-ups and planks!)

I have a nerdy/geeky tumblr blog as well:http://www.tumblr.com/blog/cantando-gato

p.s. It's good that you ENJOY counting calories. I hate it because often it's a reminder of how many carbs I shouldn't have eaten. Also I'm a lazy logger. But at least I stick to healthy foods mainly...Anywho welcome back to MFP! I myself just became active again after being MIA for a few months!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I love me some D*C. Too busy to go this year, but I already have my pass for next year. I plan to actually be in shape enough next year to pull off Riker.
    Wait... "booty-face" Riker or "Brawny Man / Interstellar Giggilo" Riker?
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    First off that is an amazing costume. You made it look exactly like the one from Smallville and you look great in it. I LOVED SMALLVILLE! I own all the seasons. I'm a huge nerd myself and I'm into anything and everything a typical nerd would love. so feel free to add me. :D
  • SlytherinPrefect
    Options
    OK, you guys are the awesomest. Thanks for all the compliments! I will definitely look into the resources you sent me; keep an eye out for updates. My boyfriend does the Zombie Run app, I haven't gotten past the first introductory bit because I hurt my knee right after I found the app. So maybe when I'm actually running more often and safely, I'll try it again, because it seemed fun!