How often do you do over your calorie budget?

Options
Almost once a week. :sad:

Replies

• naturenurture
    naturenurture Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I regularly go over 2-3 times a week, and the rest of the time I'm at my goal or under. I think that average intake over time is more important than your calorie deficit on any given day.

I also set up my account to lose 1 lb/week when really I'd be happy with 0.5 lb/week loss. That gives me a little extra wiggle room with my calories, so I don't worry too much about going slightly over.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Some weeks not at all, yet others multiple times. Really depends ... I start everyday with the goal of staying in my limits, some days I make it, some days I don't. Most days I actually do. That is why my weight loss has been pretty steady. I, like everyone else, have periods of time when I do not do great with my plan. My goal is to pick myself up, dust my self off, and get back at it.

I think, as a whole, most of us vacillate back and forth on being too hard on ourselves and not being hard enough. Being too hard often results in giving up, strangely enough being too easy on ourselves also results with giving up. So we need to find a balance, and that is my mantra. Find your balance, your balance is yours, not mine. Eat less than you burn, and exercise. It is an easy formula actually. Please be happy with progress!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Almost once a week. :sad:

Stop crying...your calorie goal is a huge deficit from a maintenance level of calories. Even if you go over, you're most likely at a calorie deficit..just a bit smaller one. If your goal is set to lose 2 Lbs per week, that's a whopping 800 - 1000 calorie deficit that's built into that goal...if it's 1 Lb per week, that's still a 500 calorie deficit...i.e. you could go 500 calories over your goal and still just be at a maintenance level of calories.

Calm down...the sky is not falling...
  • tiff375
    Options
    Unfortunately it seems like every other day... Hopefully when I will get on track and the next time someone asks this question...I'll say never :smile:
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Never. I'm constantly under. Trying to get there.
    Thanks, exercise!
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    Usually Saturdays, if there's drinking & going out. Sundays possibly too as I frequently don't log...not that I necessarily seem to overeat. I'm losing though which is all that matters to me. It's all about the weekly deficit imo.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    For the most part I struggle to get up to my calories, but about once a month I will go over...
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Not very often. I was probably very close/over two weeks ago when I had to go to a wedding because I had to do a lot of estimating on their food. It's a bit difficult for me to overeat since I'm in college and paying for my own food, so there's only so much food in the house that has to last my roommate and me a week, and food's getting too expensive.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Never. Well unless I'm treating myself to boost my metabolism or around the holidays. (I am recovering ED so I set days where I physically don't count) I don't count during holidays, but I am mindful, same with birthdays, and weddings. I probably don't go over during those times because when I don't count I don't eat much. But its okay if you go over sometimes.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    As a rule I care more about my weekly total and being +/- 300 of my WEEKLY goal. Yesterday I was over by just about the same amount that I was under by the day before.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Go over it at all? Probably 3 times a week. I always shoot to be within 50 calories of it, under or over, so it's just as likely that I might be 13 calories over as it that I might be 19 calories under. But I don't consider myself as going "over" my goal unless it's by more than 100 calories. And that still happens once every other week or so.
  • chantelrenae
    chantelrenae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just the weekends as I don't typically track my foods. During the week my routines keep my eating under control.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Me and the red bar of death are getting to be BFF's.
  • armymom5
    Options
    Usually on the weekends. Saturday is tough for me. I don't track and I like to have fun. But in my opinion, that's normal life and I'm going to stay that way :)
  • amie709
    Options
    The week before my period-all the time. But the rest of the time I'm usually under!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Frequently on weekends. Because eating is fuuuuunnn!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Never. I'm constantly under. Trying to get there.
    Thanks, exercise!

Me too.
    I remember well, the days when it was the other way around though. Shudder.

Because of work, my activity has increased this past week & it's due to go up even more, come October 1st. I'm having a great deal of trouble adjusting to the increased amount of calories (using a fitbit) because for the longest time, I found it too easy to meet my caloric goal.

Since carbs are out for me, I'm trying to get my additional calories while staying within my carb budget (less than 25 g per day, all from fresh veggies, leafy and otherwise), Since I've cut out fruit & grains, it's become too easy to stay at a deep deficit :blushing:
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Very rarely
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Too often lately but I'm refocused this week so it's getting better every day.

You don't have to be perfect every day, as long as your good and bad days balance out, you should still see a loss. I keep a calorie history offline (I know, I'm a geek) and the week before my last loss, I was over my calories 3 out of the 7 days and under or right on track the rest of the week so my weekly average was pretty much right at goal.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Several times a week, unless I'm just not hungry. But I think of my goal as the bottom of a range, so if I'm within 200 I'm not really over it in my head. I go over my unofficial range maybe once a month.