counting calories in a recipe?

Options
I am making turkey meatloaf tonight using 2lbs ground turkey Jenni-o 99% lean, 1 packet of mccormicks lower sodium meatloaf seasoning, 2 eggs 1/2 cup 2% milk and 1/4 cup regular bread crumbs .. I tried using the recipe analyzer but I really just don't understand it.. I don't know exactly how many servings the meatloaf all together is or what the serving size is.. can someone help?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Enter all the ingredients as you listed them here, and then pick a serving size - with 2lbs of meat, you could roughly figure 4oz per person, which would be about 8 servings. Once you get it cooked and served, if you find the servings to be different, you can always go back to the recipe and change the number of servings on it, save it, and then enter it into your diary.

I do that all the time when I'm not sure how many servings there will be. And I'm not always exact with serving sizes, but get pretty close, and its workin' for me.
  • shannak612
    Options
    thank you!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Another option is to put in all the ingredients and put an estimated serving size for starters (i.e. 32 for the 2 lbs of meat). When done cooking weigh the meatloaf and set the serving size to the weight in ounces. That way your serving size will always equal the weight of your slice (i.e. four ounces equals four servings). I do this all time for my bread recipes = brainless.
  • morschjodo
    morschjodo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Since it is meatloaf you could separate the meatloaf into muffin tins and you have perfect portions as leftovers also! We used 1 1/2 lb turkey last time and that made 12 flat topped "muffins" It also cooks a little quicker!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Go to >food>recipe and make your recipe into a recipe. It will give you the total calories and you can save it for another day.