Sugar Goal on MFP... unrealistic?

Options
Morning! I'm new to logging calories on here, and doing my best to stay honest with it. I've noticed that I'm always grossly above my daily sugar goal. I logged a plum and an apple as snacks (10+13 = 33) and that's already above my daily goal of 24. How in the world can I keep under the daily goal if I can't even have two pieces of fruit.

I'm not a breakfast person, and I have been having a meal replacement shake in the morning, but add that to my log, and I am already double my sugar before even having a real meal.

I'll probably lose the shake... but does anyone else have any input on this? Do I really have to limit my fruit intake to only 1 piece per day?

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think so, especially if you do like fruit. That said there have been many studies showing controlling your sugar intake helps not only with weight control but any predisposition for diabetes as well.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Totally unrealistic if you eat fruit. It lumps all kinds of sugars into one place. I just got rid of sugar tracking completely.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    The sugar goal mfp gives is the recommended maximum grams of "added" sugars per day (so not including sugar in fruits, veggies, milk, etc.). Your logged food contains entries for all sugars. The 2 will never jive. If you have a medical reason to worry about it, follow whatever medical advice you were given. Otherwise, understand it's a dumb goal to have listed because there is no recommended level for total sugar consumption (including sugar in fruits, veggies, milk, etc.).
  • Doingit145
    Options
    I just started using MFP on Monday and noticed the issue with the sugar. I drink a lot of green smoothies, but never knew how much sugar I was digesting on a daily basis. For me, I modified the way I make the smoothie. For instance, today I had a cup of spinach, 1/2 banana, 1/2 small pear and water and this smoothie was 170 calories with 14 grams of sugar. My overall sugar intake as it stands with all my meals for today is a -6, but I will be exercising this evening so that negative will turn into a positive. I don't think its unrealistic, just makes you make better choices or exercise to counter-act the sugar.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a related medical condition (e.g. diabetes) substitute "unrealistic" for "completely unnecessary."
  • Kaleilani1234
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies! Okay, so I was wondering if it was an "added sugar" type of thing. I will continue to limit the fruit intake but I think a couple of pieces a day can only be a good thing!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar anymore. I track prot/fat/carbs/fiber/potassium.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My friend at work says "I didn't get fat eating fruit." LOL I had the same question a week or so ago and it appears to be a very common newbie question. I turned off the sugar tracking and turned on calcium instead. Since I have no medical issues with sugar, I don't see the point in freaking myself out about it.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Its a goal set for refined sugar not natural. It is so unrealistic. I wouldn't pay much attention to is.
  • Kaleilani1234
    Options
    Guess I just proved my newbie status! Thanks again for all your replies. Makes me feel much better.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    For me this was a huge eye opener when I started using MFP. So many foods have added sugar that you really don't think about having sugar in them.

Over time, I've gone from having my sugar go over by 44g by midday to having several days a week that I do not go over, and most days I go over 8g-11g, something like that. I don't panic over that at all...I also don't panic if I have a lot of fruit one day and/or treat myself to ice cream (within my calorie and fat goals) and my sugar is over by 50g ONCE IN A WHILE.

JMHO!

Some say don't watch it at all, but for me I don't think that would be a very good idea because I have a huge sweet tooth and get enough from my daily fruit or kids size Clif bar - I don't need to overlook tons of added sugar in other foods. I like being well aware of the sugar I'm consuming.
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Totally unrealistic if you eat fruit. It lumps all kinds of sugars into one place. I just got rid of sugar tracking completely.

I too got rid of the sugar tracking. To me, it was impossible to have low calories, and have low sugar.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies! Okay, so I was wondering if it was an "added sugar" type of thing. I will continue to limit the fruit intake but I think a couple of pieces a day can only be a good thing!

No need to limit your fruit intake as long as you're within budget. Much better to be eating fruit than a lot of other foods.
  • dancinmama
    dancinmama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar either...I'm eating my fruit!
  • AprilP24
    AprilP24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    SOOOOO glad I read this... I was about to cry over the same issue! I've been back on MFP for 3 days now and each day by lunch I've been over my sugar goal. I was logging my lunch while eating some lowfat yogurt at my desk and stopped mid-spoonful when I saw the sugar number... dropped my spoon and literally emptied the yogurt into my trash can, disgusted with myself.... they need to realize that people on here are serious and sensitve! LOL! They should explain the whole sugar thing A LOT better. Now I want my yogurt back!
  • kidtachyon
    kidtachyon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I log everything but only pay attention to 2 things: total calories consumed and trying to eat clean. I don't worry about any figures other than calories.
  • Justsimply67
    Options
    I've only been doing this for a minute... But I do watch my sugar numbers. It helps me to watch where I'm getting my sugar from. I just look over my food for the day and if the number is higher than recommended due to fruit I don't worry about it.