13»

Replies

• liftingheavy1
    Options
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    War is never a good option, but it is sometimes the "least bad" option. It's not the case all that often though.

I doubt the public can avoid war, but I think the proliferation of nuclear weapons will. Think about it, when was the last time that two nuclear powers were openly at war with each other (not by proxy)...
    Affect? Would never make it to US soil.
    This might be a discussion I don't want to start, but if around 100 A.D. you would have told a Roman citizen that in the future Rome would fall and various Germanic tribes would rule western Europe, he would have laughed until he soiled himself.

Rome didn't have a moat the size of the ocean. Now if we are talking invasion from down south that would be a different story.

Or north I've seen the way those French Canadians look at us all shifty eyed and such...they've had their eye on our fine beaver pelts for quite some time.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    It is good for absolutely nothing.

Say it again.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    War is never a good option, but it is sometimes the "least bad" option. It's not the case all that often though.

I doubt the public can avoid war, but I think the proliferation of nuclear weapons will. Think about it, when was the last time that two nuclear powers were openly at war with each other (not by proxy)...
    This might be a discussion I don't want to start, but if around 100 A.D. you would have told a Roman citizen that in the future Rome would fall and various Germanic tribes would rule western Europe, he would have laughed until he soiled himself.

Rome didn't have a moat the size of the ocean. Now if we are talking invasion from down south that would be a different story.

Or north I've seen the way those French Canadians look at us all shifty eyed and such...they've had their eye on our fine beaver pelts for quite some time.

Didn't even think of them, was thinking of a Brazilian invasion. I can see it now, tying the war prisoners down and covering them with maple syrup and making us lick it off each other!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Arguably, the US is worse off.

Back then, the Mediterranean might as well have been an ocean. After the empire split in two, the core of the western Roman empire was the italic peninsula which has a single, short and very mountainous land border.

The US has two long and flat land borders. Canada and Mexico are both friendly towards the US, but even most Germanic tribes were friendly towards the Roman empire as long as they weren't forced to be a part of it.
    I can see it now, tying the war prisoners down and covering them with maple syrup and making us lick it off each other!
    Mounties turn into berserkers when cornered.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    twinketta, this thread will not end well.

Political discussions are definitely against site guidelines. You make a political statement in your post, it's going to go badly.

That said - who in the world would want war? What kind of a question is this?

Of course, nobody wants a war.

I am asking as to how we could change things in our personal opinions. What it would mean for us?

How it would affect your general life?

What do YOU think?

I think a lot of wars and allegiances with one country to another are fundamentally because of oil. Even water is a big issue in a lot of countries.

My take on things is that as we have so massively progressed with technology that we could find a way to fuel all the systems that require oil with a different method. This is a very simplistic view I know I am just trying to keep it short.

Hopefully, this would affect my life in a good way as energy, fuel costs, production costs etc would be less and natural resources will not diminish. Investment that is currently made into weaponry can be used in other more productive ways.

I feel the reason to avoid war is that it is a major cause of economic depression. Many countries are bankrupt or teetering on bankruptcy. The world can not continue to fund wars. Of course, apart from the huge loss of life war causes.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to toss my hat into the ring here.
    War is bad.
    Period.
    It is also not going to be stopped by the 99% WANTING it to be stopped.
    Because there are very bad people who WANT to cause death and, the only way to stop these bad people is to arrest or kill them.

It is like avoiding a fight. I can resolve NEVER to start another fight again in my life but, if some guy comes up to me and starts to punch me in the face, then I have no choice but to strike back.
    9-11 was an attack. That started a war which led to Afganistan.
    Was it avoidable? That is hard to say. It might have been possible to simply wait for Bin Laden to get comfortable and then kill him.
    And then you have SO many civil wars going on around the world. If ONE side wants a war, then there will be a war because the other side MUST defend themselfs.

Then we get on the subject of America.
    To think that it will never happen here is, in a word, stupid.
    America HAS been attacked before and the Atlantic and Pacific "moats" are not going to stop that.
    Do you think that wars only happen in third world hell holes? Think again.
    Our own political parties hate each other. and they are in Washington.
    The Democrats and the Republicans have developed an attitude of "If you are not with us, you are against us" and that can lead to VERY dangerous thought processes.

I suggest everyone go to the web site.
    shtfschool.com
    Forget the entire survival aspect of it and concentrate on what actually happened.
    Bosnia is not some mud hut country. It is a developed nation and war happened.
    And it was all internal.

Rant over.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Political discussions are definitely against site guidelines. You make a political statement in your post, it's going to go badly.

a) People who collude in 'Military Industrial Complex' and psychopaths, although they may be one and the same : /
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    +1 for obscure "Seinfeld" reference. LEVEL UP: You have acheived "Elaine dancing prowess":

/treesloth takes a bow, not an easy thing to do while hanging upside down from a tree branch.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    War would not make me happy and such like.

But sometimes it's a necessary evil and such like.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I am asking as to how we could change things in our personal opinions. What it would mean for us?

What do YOU think?

she thinks it's fun to create threads guaranteed to create as much drama in the fewest number of pages as possible.

But her MO is a little predictable by now. :yawn:

Twinketta, don't you have anything better to do? Do you enjoy creating internet turmoil? I cannot imagine how much fun it would be to know you in real life.
  • rml_16
    Options

What do YOU think?

she thinks it's fun to create threads guaranteed to create as much drama in the fewest number of pages as possible.

But her MO is a little predictable by now. :yawn:

Twinketta, don't you have anything better to do? Do you enjoy creating internet turmoil? I cannot imagine how much fun it would be to know you in real life.

And such like.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    War. Huh. Good God. What is it good for?
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Theoretically speaking, if you can find:

1 Abundant food sources
    2 Endless free energy (or cheap enough that no one cares)
    3 Perfect Recycling of resources (iron, water, lead, Helium)

then I think many wars would be prevented.

This^....and this^
  • rml_16
    Options
    War. Huh. Good God. What is it good for?
    And such like.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    This post is being locked for being against the following Community Guideline:

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to continue this discussion, I suggest moving it to a group page.

Thank you, and enjoy your stay on MyFitnessPal

_Ben
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.