Searching for food.

Options
Does anyone else get frustrated with the search feature here on MFP? Am I the only one who feels the search results are bad? I hate having to wade through a list of irrelevant things. Anyone have any tips for reducing the frustration / improving search results?

For example: I search "zucchini" and I get:
-Chocolate Zucchini Bread
-Zucchini Bread with Walnuts
-Archer Farms Mediterranean Style Veggies
etc etc.

"Fresh Zucchini Small" is the FIFTEENTH item in the search list. It makes no sense.

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Usually if its a veggie or something like that I just search for generic zucchini, there aren't nearly as many things to look through when I do that.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You just need to be more specific... like zucchini raw would of probably popped up to the top.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    For any raw fruit or veggie, include the word "raw" in the search and look for the one without any asterisk.
  • Heather_MXP
    Heather_MXP Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wonder if MFP would consider making 2 databases... one for specific, singular food items, and one for prepared things / recipes / restaurant items...
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I see no issue just search "zucchini raw" ... how is that difficult?
    If you have a foodscale and are doing it by weight just search "zucchini raw usda 100g"

I see no issues with the database.
  • Heather_MXP
    Heather_MXP Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    How many people who are dieting actually measure out 100g of zucchini? Vs. how many people just buy a zucchini, cut it up, and cook it?
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think it's generally a good habit to measure vegetables and other foods. Some foods can vary a fair amount of calories depending on size. Once you measure a lot of the same vegetable, it gets easier to eye an estimate though.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'll be the first to admit that I weigh my zucchini, because that's how I know how many calories to log for it. How do you know how much to log if you're not measuring?

Anyhoo...when searching, as others have said, search for zucchini, raw. Also try to select items that do not have an asterisk (*) as those were added by MFP or you and are generally more accurate.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    How many people who are dieting actually measure out 100g of zucchini? Vs. how many people just buy a zucchini, cut it up, and cook it?
    I weigh all my food ..... you would be surprised how much you actually overestimate...

And by the way they use 100g serving sizes to be convenient . So say i am eating a zucchini that is 256g i would plug in 2.56 servings of 100g
    It makes it incredibly easy to log this way.
    43359607.png[/url]
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my food ..... you would be surprised how much you actually overestimate...

And by the way they use 100g serving sizes to be convenient . So say i am eating a zucchini that is 256g i would plug in 2.56 servings of 100g
    It makes it incredibly easy to log this way.

I'm with tessy, I weigh everything. What is a 'small' zucchini? Different countries and regions mean fruit and vegetable sizes vary a tonne. With a zucchini, granted even 50g out either way isn't a huge amount of calories, but if it was a potato, it'd make a difference.

I use the word 'raw' or search 'usda' along with whatever I'm searching. It's not so tough, actually this site makes it so so easy. Sure the database is a bit overrun with things, but I'd always rather that than having to source all my own info because what I wanted was never there; even if it takes a minute, what I want to find is always there.
  • karlajotj
    karlajotj Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If I didn't weight my food, I know I'd go way over on my calories. Lesson I learned - If I don't weigh or log my food, I gain weight.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get frustrated with the search feature here on MFP? Am I the only one who feels the search results are bad? I hate having to wade through a list of irrelevant things. Anyone have any tips for reducing the frustration / improving search results?

etc etc.

"Fresh Zucchini Small" is the FIFTEENTH item in the search list. It makes no sense.
    Go really basic and search "squash" instead - you'll usually find an entry without an asterisk that shows it's an MFP database entry rather than member submitted, and they have pretty complete nutritional info, as well as weight & measure options. In this case, you'll find "Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw" or a few options for cooking methods. Click the drop down menu for the amount and you get everything from cups to grams, so it makes it easier to accurately enter what you're eating.

I'm finding that a lot of things are plural, so rather than searching for a russet potato, I search potatoes, and then find the options for Potatoes - Russet, and so forth - same for pears, bananas, blueberries, onions, etc.

Hope that helps.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If you think that's bad, I dare you to type in "grilled chicken sandwich". Brace yourself for a ****-storm.
  • Beachcrazy57
    Beachcrazy57 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One of the important ingredients not included in the database is salt. I have been adding recipes and there is no listing for "salt". There's one for black pepper but not salt. I think it's very important to add salt to my recipes because I'm trying to watch my sodium count. Any suggestions or help is most appreciated. :smile:
  • PostToasties
    Options
    If you want fresh raw zucchini, that is what you might start searching, seeing that there are so many out there. Be a LITTLE specific in a search, but not too specific.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    You just need to be more specific... like zucchini raw would of probably popped up to the top.
    this
  • PostToasties
    Options
    I just searched iodized salt and a bunch of salts came up to choose from.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If it's produce, I usually search USDA then whatever it is. And I also go by weight. I mean wtf is a small apple? Apparently what I consider small is actually very large...
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

etc etc.

Of course if you just look for " zucchini " you get everything that is related to the word. If you use " fresh zucchini " , " raw zucchini ", " fresh zucchini USDA " for example, you will get much more exact results.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Counting without measuring?

Good Luck with that.