Can this Chick Fil A salad really have just 180 calories?

Options
Hi,

I travel a lot for work and have to eat fast food sometimes. I like Chick Fil A and have ordered this salad several times as a healthy option: It's the Grilled Market Salad and they say it has just 180 calories (w/o dressing). Here is a link to their website about it:

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Menu-Detail/ChickfilA-Grilled-Market-Salad#?details=desc

ChickfilA-Grilled-Market-Salad.png

My concern is that the salad is very filling and tasty and I just don't see any way it can have 180 calories as large as it is. It comes in a bowl about 8"x8"x2" deep and it takes me at least 15 minutes just to sit there and eat it all (I'm a 6'0" 185 pound man). It even has a little bit of bleu cheese in it.

Can this really be accurate based on the amount and type of ingredients in the salad or should I just assume they're probably underestimating by 30+ %?

I don't put anything on the salad except their light italian dressing which only adds 25 calories (allegedly).

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i think if they got busted making a false claim they would be in a world of trouble. i doubt it is worth it just to advertise a 250cal salad as 180cals
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't know about chik-fil-a but at burger king, the calorie count for salads according to the instore nutrition info chart i saw didn't include the items added to the salad such as dressing, nuts and even the chicken.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you look on the website, it says that the nuts and the granola are not included in the 180 calories. I can see how vegetables, a small amount of fruit, chicken and a little blue cheese would be 180. MFP has several entries for this salad. The salad w/ the nut blend, granola, and FF honey mustard comes in at 420.
  • ehimass
    ehimass Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know about chik-fil-a but at burger king, the calorie count for salads according to the instore nutrition info chart i saw didn't include the items added to the salad such as dressing, nuts and even the chicken.

You're right, the supplied nutrition information does not include the depicted nuts and granola, but I don't put those on the salad anyway (they come in separate plastic packages). The chicken is listed in the ingredients so I have to assume that they've accounted for it in the calorie count, especially considering they also list the salad as having 25g protein.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Yup, the site says the nuts and granola aren't part of the nutritional info

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Salad-Detail/ChickfilA-Grilled-Market-Salad

Eta: Oh now I see you commented on that...so yeah, I'd have to assume the info is correct. It's always the fine print!
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you're leaving off those extras, yeah, I think it would come in around 180. You could try putting the ingredients into MFP separately (guestimating ounces of cheese and chicken) and see how it comes out.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I love that salad and am surprised at the 180 calorie claim as well. Granted I know the dressing, and other add-ons are extra calories, but that salad is very filling even without the extras.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    uhhh chick fil a and I have a strained relationship. Mostly cause it was at one point in time when I was at 400lbs; it was my go to restaurant. Good to see the salads are legit though :)
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    That salad looks great! I've never been to a Chick Fil A, but I'll have to get one of these the next time I'm out and about in search of a quick meal.