Liquid Calories

Options
innocentabandon
innocentabandon Posts: 3
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Honestly, here's where I get annoyed. I'm 22--college age. All my friends drink basically, and I don't just mean drink--it's a friggin ton. So here I am minding my own business, trying to be healthy, but constantly thrown into situations where I want to participate. Like tonight, in order to have my mug of Angry Orchard I will have to cheat my weight loss goals. But after a day of grueling second interviews, I kind of want to just relax. So then the dilemma becomes do I skip dinner? Of course not. I have no time for exercise today either. It's just frustrating, because when I drink I put on weight. And none of my friends seem to be suffering this same problem. How do those *kitten* do it?

Replies

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Honestly, here's where I get annoyed. I'm 22--college age. All my friends drink basically, and I don't just mean drink--it's a friggin ton. So here I am minding my own business, trying to be healthy, but constantly thrown into situations where I want to participate. Like tonight, in order to have my mug of Angry Orchard I will have to cheat my weight loss goals. But after a day of grueling second interviews, I kind of want to just relax. So then the dilemma becomes do I skip dinner? Of course not. I have no time for exercise today either. It's just frustrating, because when I drink I put on weight. And none of my friends seem to be suffering this same problem. How do those *kitten* do it?

It comes down to... what do you want more?
    It's typically pretty hard to offset a lot of alcohol (especially beer). Most people also like you said, don't just have "a drink" they have "a bunch".

As far as your friends... it's hard to say. They might not be eating all that much, they might actually be gaining but you just haven't noticed yet,etc.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it would help to view your calories on a weekly basis rather than daily. Eat a little less throughout the week and that way a Friday/Saturday night with a couple of beers will not hinder your overall goals so much.

The key is moderation and control. Know what caloric allowance you have made for that night and stick to it. A friend of mine on here has lost heaps of fat and has a beer every single night! It can be done.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I always try to fit it into my cals.. I work full time, go to college full time, and when I'm off on weekends I want a drink darn it.
    I also have to remind myself going over by 200-400 cals one night isn't going to make me gain my weight all back!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I like Angry Orchard too... sure is high in calories though, isn't it?

You could try drinking hard liquor mixed with diet soda or soda water instead.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you could just make up for it tomorrow.

its not like the intake is locked in for the day and the next day doesnt count?

go over by 500 today, exercise more tomorrow and be under by 500. crisis averted.
  • yask989
    Options

It comes down to... what do you want more?
    It's typically pretty hard to offset a lot of alcohol (especially beer). Most people also like you said, don't just have "a drink" they have "a bunch".

As far as your friends... it's hard to say. They might not be eating all that much, they might actually be gaining but you just haven't noticed yet,etc.

Definitely agree with medic, try to find a balance and gradually works towards it..Also, I went to a party and drink hard university..I've learned after many lbs that just bc your friends drink a ton doesn't mean you have to drink a ton too, have one drink if you feel like you have to and enjoy it. Best of luck with your fitness goals!
  • ny135
    ny135 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm in the same boat. My roommate weighs 108, drinks a ton and doesn't work out, but I've noticed she doesn't eat much. What I do is pick one day a week I participate in the drinking (on a bad week two) . Oh and if you like Angry Orchids you should try Angry Balls. It's my new favorite, it's Angry Orchids and Fireball... delicious
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    As said up thread - moderation is key.

I am older than you, so the peer pressure to drink alcohol isn't there, but I do like wine.

Over the summer I was drinking most days - and the calories sure do add up. So since the start o f September me and my husband pledged to only drink on the weekend.(it starts Friday evening ha ha!)

I have no idea what Angry Orchid is (I am in the UK), but not all drinks are equal calorie wise. I like wine and good beers - but they are calorific. If I am being really tight with calories I will get a gin with a diet tonic water - only about 70 calories, for a large glass

Your friends may drink loads, but you don't have to do the same.

Good luck with the healthy lifestyle.

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If you see other people drinking as much as you while you gain weight and they don't, the most likely reason is that they eat less and/or exercise more than you do.

You can go out and have fun while drinking in moderation. Try having a glass of water in between each alcoholic beverage.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I drink when I want to, then make sure I work my *kitten* off in the gym...win win right? I dont drink everyday, I had to stop that...but Fridays and Saturdays...do as you please...and drinking a ton to some people is not what it is to others. I easily finish 30 or more beers on my Saturdays...I drink from 10am till I go to bed...3 or 4am...so that is a lot of liquid calories in a day....I lost 95 lbs total. Did it this way before joining here and did it ever since.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Why not have vodka in a pint diet coke? It'll contain calories from a shot of vodka (50?) and take ages to drink. Do that all night.
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know a 30-something year old woman who parties hard on weekends and drinks her *kitten* off at least once a week. She then compensates for that by working out in the gym for 5 hrs a day 2x a wk and 3 hrs a day 3x a wk, all cardio. She is 5'5 and weighs 90 lbs. Craziest shiz I ever heard.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    spirits and diet mixer are the best option I can think of. Everything else is loaded with calories.

On weight watchers you can save up calories through the week, between weigh day and the next weigh day.

Only thing is: don't weigh yourself the morning after drinking. Incredibly disheartening. :p
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I know a 30-something year old woman who parties hard on weekends and drinks her *kitten* off at least once a week. She then compensates for that by working out in the gym for 5 hrs a day 2x a wk and 3 hrs a day 3x a wk, all cardio. She is 5'5 and weighs 90 lbs. Craziest shiz I ever heard.

That's daft. I'd rather drink/eat less.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Everyone thinks their friends have some trick and they're the odd one out. It's not a trick.

You consume more than you expend and they don't.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    How do those *kitten* do it?

They are consuming less calories (or just as many), as they burn in a day.
    You need to increase your activity level.
    Maybe if you want to have a night of drinking, go on a long *kitten* hike that day, or the following.
    Burn more = consume more.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    You could make new friends that don't drink.
  • innocentabandon
    Options
    Thanks guys. You all had interesting advice. I have been working on limiting what I drink so that definitely helps. I will keep at it. But seriously, being so health-conscious all the time sucks. It makes me feel crazy when no one else I know even cares...
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to keep a drink tally on the inside of my wrist with a pen... my friends thought I was showing off how much I could drink.... the next day I ran a mile for every mark.... hangover or not.... I drank mostly light beer (around 110 calories) so it pretty much leveled out.

The hardest part is making yourself do it and committing to some sort of system you are young now but trust me weight creeps up around 23-25 range its like one day BAM you wake up and you are fat... sure it didnt really come on overnight but it sure does feel like it!

Now, at 27 my general rule is if I plan on drinking AT ALL I have to workout during the day and control my eating within reason.... a lot of my activities involve working out and drinking... For instance I joined a running group that meets at a brewery before and after runs on Tuesday and a roller derby league that practices two nights a week and goes out after on Thursday nights....
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie, I am glad that I was not as health/ calorie conscious when I was your age. Recently when I was with my college friends, at one of their weddings we were talking about how much we used to consume. Probably drinking 6-12 beers plus shots plus terribly unhealthy food after the bars. And we would go out a minimum of 3 nights a week. I am surprised I did not weight 300 + pounds the way I treated my body. Anyways, now that you know the proper way to live a healthy lifestyle I can understand how conflicted you are. Make the choice that you feel good about, just don't let something like counting calories make you miss out on some great times and awesome memories. I'm sure you could still go out and have fun without getting too drunk, or you could always be the awesome friend that volunteers to DD. Good luck, and Have Fun! My college years were some of the best I've had so far.:drinker:
This discussion has been closed.