Became a vegetarian today, help!

Options

Replies

• BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I don't know or really care what anyone says about what is healthiest, as it is constantly changing. Over the years, various things have been considered great and healthy, only to later be ditched as unhealthy and evil, and vice versa. We can say, "well, now we KNOW this..." but that's what we said before, too. How will the future look? Things will undoubtedly change again, and again, and again. So I am indifferent to it all from that aspect.

I know people who thrive on meat. I can't and wouldn't argue that it's unhealthy.

Look at my screen name here... I used to love the **** out of bacon. I lost over 100lbs and still felt like complete crap. My wife is a longtime vegetarian, and I decided that I'd give it a shot for a couple weeks just to see how it would go - maybe I'd feel better... Maybe I'd hate the food. Who knows?

That was in February. I haven't eaten meat since, and I limit my intake of dairy and eggs as well (I generally don't buy it often, but if I eat out I won't avoid it without a very compelling alternative). Why did I stick with it? Simply, I feel better. Way better... I didn't expect it would work, and was sorta hoping it wouldn't.. I really loved bacon... REALLY loved bacon.... Now, some would call this anecdotal evidence that a vegetarian diet is "healthier" but I wouldn't. I'd just say, I feel better, so I'm sticking with it. Why would I go back to eating meat? I like the taste, but I like feeling better more. Now, if anyone feels good eating meat, then just stick with it. For all you know, going vegetarian will make you feel worse. If eating meat made me feel good, I would be slaughtering every pig and cow in sight myself.

Anyhow, here's a tip for the OP and anyone else who wants to try vegetarian or vegan food - for WHATEVER reason: Isa Chandra Moskowitz. http://www.theppk.com/ has recipes for you.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    OP: If you are in or around LA, you can look up my sister, for meal ideas, cooking classes and daily vegan "bento boxes".
    http://www.veganicscatering.com/
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Hi guys!

So I've been contemplating for a long while veganism an becoming a vegetarian and such. I truly believe vegans live healthier lifestyles

I am posting this for any tips and advice someone might have for me!

Thanks!

Not from the evidence I gather, I ran an IT department for a very large organisation payroll over £25 million per month, and when compiling reports of those taking the most sick days those I knew to be Vegetarians and Vegans without fail topped the list, even above the ones I knew to be Alcoholics and some with chronic disabilities.

So I would like to know your reasoning for the above statement
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the switch. it takes some getting used to. You also have to branch out and try a bunch of new things to ensure you're getting a balanced diet. Too often "I guess I'll just have fries" is the answer to the question of what's for dinner. If you can cook your own meals, you'll be better off in the long run. There are countless upon countless websites with good recipes out there. There are also a plethora of meat stand in that are tasty and have a good amount of protein (I personally love seitan, it's versitile and can be incorporated in many dishes, low calorie and a solid amount of protein per serving).

Vegan is harder. I did that for a long while and gave the whole thing up for a bit. I've been struggling to get back into it. Sometimes I find myself eating fish in a pinch and eggs are really hard to avoid ... and being vegan also means reading every single label on every single prepackaged item that you will ever purchase. There are things you don't think are milk or dairy based but they are http://voices.yahoo.com/what-look-dairy-free-362663.html has a decent list of things you want to be able to spot on site if you're going vegan. It's hard. But, I felt better vegan than I did at any other point in my life. I strive for that again.

So best of luck. feel free to add me and maybe we can help eachother stay on track :)
  • Meganisaface
    Meganisaface Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As long as you give yourself the time you need to create healthy meals, it is VERY easy to be Vegan/Vegetarian. A lot of the trouble you'll encounter comes from other's "oppinions", all that matters is what you think and what is best for you. (And of course the animals!!) Also, eating out. This WILL be a bit more difficult as a vegetarian (even more so as a Vegan) It is not impossible. But it is worth it! You'll feel great! I've done all of the above, and even threw in Gluten free/No GMO's. It is very hard work, don't get me wrong. But you are worth it.

Good luck! add me if you like, I know some great websites and recipes!

Oh, and going steadily into the switch is better. Don't want to shock the body too much. I reccomend eating what you've already got in the fridge but not buying anymore meat products.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow! I love your response so much. Thank you so much! I will have to check out that book. Part of me feels like I'm already living that way. Before I made the switch I hardly ever ate meat. And I never drink milk or eat cheese, so switching to soy milk was no problem for me. I love candy! Haha so I will most likely fill that 10 with some chocolate! Hehe ;)
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised so many people are defensive on this issue.
    When you say this "I just truly believe vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters", what do you expect?
    My sister is vegan, has been for nearly 20 years. She's healthy, but she's also a vegan chef so she's cooking all the time and aware of her macros. We live on opposite sides of the US now but for a few years we lived in the same city and I was vegetarian, but not healthy. I eat whatever I want now and am healthy.
    My opinion/obersvation is most vegan's conviction comes from animal welfare. I "became" vegetarian during a time my work responsibilities took my "inside" commercial chicken, turkey, and hog farms and processing plants. I try not to think about that anymore. Chicken wings and Carolina BBQ won't kill you.
    agreed. people who practice this for animal welfare, thats great. thats your belief.

And if I do I because my belief is they live simple lives, then it bothers people? Lol, why does it matter what my belief is? People on here who dot even know me personably are commenting like they're offended by my opinion. I think it may be a personal issue.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

So I've been contemplating for a long while veganism an becoming a vegetarian and such. I truly believe vegans live healthier lifestyles and finally yesterday I made the commitment to change my lifestyle.
    I am a meat lover, I'll admit, but yesterday I was skinning some fresh chicken and it was absolutely disgusting. Now I know when meat is prepared for me already, then it will still look appetizing, but I am choosing to say no to meat. I just truly believe vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters and I want to be healthy ad young looking for as long as possible that I should be!
    I would eventually like to completely be vegan, but I do realize that the transition is quite difficult and more time and thought consuming, but that Is y ultimate goal.

Although today wa day 1, and Ido love meat, I did not eat a lot of it anyhow before I made the switch.

Thanks!

Well done. I went on a wholefoods plant-based (vegan) regime about seven or eight weeks ago and its been fantastic.
    My tip for you is to bookmark and check out http://www.nutritionfacts.org
    It is extremely well researched, evidence-based and independent.
    There are two introductory videos that are in excess of one hour in length - but very worthwhile.
    "Uprooting the leading causes of death" and "More than an apple a day" - they're at the bottom of the home screen.
    Check them out.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Good luck with you decision

Personally I would do the research,tips first, get the house in order(food out, food in etc) and take it from there

Not a vegeterian, not sure why people react so badly too them.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Sorry I quickly through this post together, I don't have w documet that says they are healthier just my personal opinion. Also, obviously it depends what exactly you put into your body, I've just noticed people who have cut meat out d their diets for years tend to look much much younger in old age, and that and other reasons is why I made the seitch
    Your opinion is considered wrong

Yes, wrong. Do a bit of research away from the vegan/vegetarian sources.
  • vnstallionsmith
    Options
    Check out the www.Engine2Diet.com and then the video on Netflix. Very informative. Though I am not a Vegan or a Vegetarian, I am actually a hunter, Rip actually makes it fairly easy to adapt to this lifestyle. My wife and I did this for a month and did feel much better and healthier; I just refuse to give up meat. We did decrease the amounts of meat we eat on a permanent basis though. Add the fact that the Doctor Esselstyn from the Gerson Miracle (also on Netflix) is Rip's father who has done years of research. Good job and good luck on your endeavor. Now a little chuckle for you, "Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter."
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Aww hope I continue to age well then as I've been vegetarian for 18 years! If you enjoy meat then I don't really see any reason to cut it out altogether. Why not just limit it and eat healthier cuts? I'm always anaemic and if my diets not spot on I usually feel bad (and it usually isnt) I find it hard to get enough protein without consuming lots of carbs and I wish I could stomach a nice plate of chicken or fish with lots of veggies as I honestly think it would do me the world of good. You really need to do more research before you jump into this or you could make yourself poorly. I think you can be a healthy vegetarian but it takes a lot of work. I'm here because I wasn't a healthy vegetarian and now I've cut out most of the meat substitutes because they are covered in breadcrumbs/high in fat I find myself bored with my diet often and consuming less varied foods.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    please document the statement that "vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters..."

Once I heard on the radio, "Vegetarians have better sex lives."
    It was on the radio so that means it's true.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

So I've been contemplating for a long while veganism an becoming a vegetarian and such. I truly believe vegans live healthier lifestyles and finally yesterday I made the commitment to change my lifestyle.
    I am a meat lover, I'll admit, but yesterday I was skinning some fresh chicken and it was absolutely disgusting. Now I know when meat is prepared for me already, then it will still look appetizing, but I am choosing to say no to meat. I just truly believe vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters and I want to be healthy ad young looking for as long as possible that I should be!
    I would eventually like to completely be vegan, but I do realize that the transition is quite difficult and more time and thought consuming, but that Is y ultimate goal.

Although today wa day 1, and Ido love meat, I did not eat a lot of it anyhow before I made the switch.

Thanks!

Be sure to checkout the plethora of cauliflower recipes here on the boards. My favorite is the cauliflower hot wings. DELISH!!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a repeat of info, I got sick of reading all the negative comments. Good luck with your journey but something I would caution you on is the excess of sodium in the processed "veggie" options.

A tip for you if you enjoy brownies, use a can of low sodium black beans pureed until smooth and mix with the dry brownie mix. This gives you a hit of protein, fiber and yummy deliciousness.
  • eelyakk
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since August of 2012. I lost a lot of weight in the start, but, after the first few months, I just kinda flatlined. I feel better after I quit eating meat. But you really need to watch your protein and fat levers. Don't only go to the frozen vegetarian food section at the grocery store. If you have to go out to eat, there are more and more places offering vegetarian options. Even Burger King has veggie burgers.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I became a vegetarian, because my bowel can't digest meat (funnily enough chicken is way worse then red meat for me) at the moment and I need to be meat free for at least a year, before I could try to reintroduce it. So far I seem to be doing okay with it, although my protein levels are low (allergy to soy cuts out varies things there) I am working on that.

Anyway, there was a BBC documentary of 'How to live to be a 100' and in that they introduced a community of 7th day Adventists, who had a higher then average life expectancy and aged better then the average American and one of the defining differences was that they ate a vegetarian diet, exercised moderately, and didn't smoke or drink. Since it wasn't a scientific study, you can't conclude that it is necessarily better for you. Having said that, give it a go and see where it goes. If you don't feel right with it, you can always pick up a steak. It's not like once you make that decision it is unchangeable. Good luck :-)

'they ate a vegetarian diet, exercised moderately, and didn't smoke or drink' ....my guess is that 'exercised moderately and didn't smoke or drink' contributed more to their longevity and health than vegetarianism. It's a matter of choice and if you want to be vegetarian/vegan for medical or ethical reasons....fine and good luck. But it IS only a personal opinion that vegetarians live longer or look better - there is no scientific proof of this.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Vegan here! Was a vegetarian for 16 years before that.
    I've never had the flu, my blood pressure is spot on as are my blood glucose levels. Before going from vegetarian to vegan I suffered with a few spots on my face, since going vegan my skin is fantastic! I'm 33 next but still get asked for ID...
    While living in Taiwan I had a full heart and vascular MOT (it's super cheap over there) the surgeon told me that by looking at my heart function through the various tests and exercises that I was involved in, he said that there is pretty much zero chance of me ever developing heart disease.
    I (until 2012) threw javelin and swam for my county (which sticks a finger up at the morons that say vegans are weak)

Most importantly, I feel I can sleep at night knowing that I am not contributing to suffering and have less of a negative impact on the earth by being vegan.

PS - These kind of threads tend to escalate quickly in to a big pile of bollocks due to the "we're meant to eat meat" brigade.

Each to their own :)

If you need any vegetarian meal ideas let me know.

Alexis
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I just have to say this. Vegetarians/vegans are not inherently healthier than omnivores. You can be vegan and eat oreos, pop tarts, chips, breads, cakes, biscuits, etc. You still have to make healthy choices. Meat/animal by-products don't immediately make a person unhealthy. I've met plenty of obese vegetarians and fit and healthy meat eaters. It's all about the food choices you make, not just the diet you choose to follow.

POP TARTS ARE NOT VEGAN? ONLY THE UNFROSTED VERSION AND OREO? HAHAHA DEFO NOT VEGAN THAT S$#T HAS WHEY
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Thanks!

Interestingly enough I have family in Virginia that have eaten meat their entire lives. My "Granny Grimes" Lived 3 days short of 103, her son, grandson, and great grandson looked like brothers and most of the family lives, and works past 70. Add to that they have smoked since second or third grade I hardly say it is the meat that makes a difference. Maybe working on the farm and not eating as much processed foods make a difference. I will never forget the first time i saw a mold cured ham in the barn outback...or going out in the morning with my 82 year "granny" to get eggs for breakfast from the henhouse....I am not against the vegan lifestyle at all since everyone has a choice. I believe the backlash happens because you said "I truly believe vegans live healthier lifestyles" without any evidence.