Does MFP work as well as Weight Watchers?

Options
Im thinking about joining soon and id love some opinions. Thanks!

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I know little about WW but in favour of MFP it is totally free and if you can be honest with yourself then it should be every bit as good.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    IMO weight watchers is similar to calorie counting, but without the Math. Both work on calorie deficit. I prefer MFP as there are no gimmicks, no points, no free food, just good old fashioned calories in vs calories out.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    When I did WW my daily calories worked out to be about 1100. Oh and it was expensive.

No thanks.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Both teach you to count. Both establish a deficit.

I've seen far more people do WW, lose weight, quit, eat regular food again, gain wait... go back to WW.

While on MFP, I see people fitting real food into their daily lives without the need for meetings, continue to lose, and manage it.

WW, in my opinion, sets you up for failure. Why not just use this?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I found MFP better.

It's free and this
    I've seen far more people do WW, lose weight, quit, eat regular food again, gain wait... go back to WW.

While on MFP, I see people fitting real food into their daily lives without the need for meetings, continue to lose, and manage it.

WW, in my opinion, sets you up for failure.
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    MFP is the only place I have ever lost weight, because I wasn't restricted to how I should eat.
  • cmb67
    cmb67 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did WW, and my experience was not positive, though I know many people love it. I think it depends on what you're looking for. The weekly meetings and weigh-ins do make you accountable, but if you're going to be accountable to yourself, I think MFP is just as effective. The group I joined was a lot of "long-timers" who were there for the social aspect, and not as much for weight loss encouragement. I find I get plenty of encouragement from my MFP friends. That said, I did get a few hints on low-cal foods @ WW, but I think you could do the same on your own, just browsing the supermarket and checking labels.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They're virtually the same thing. The difference is how you count your calories -- points or straightforward. So, yes. it works as well as WW. But I have an easier time doing WW for some reason. It's all in my mind, I know, but it's easier for me.

I bought a Points calculator (the old program, not the new one) and I track here instead of paying WW.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I haven't done WW myself, so am basing this on what others have told me. From what I have seen, if you know absolutely NOTHING about counting calories, watching macro intake, etc. etc., WW is a decent place to start if you're willing to spend the money, etc. The meetings hold you accountable because you are paying for it.

With that said, I don't find it's sustainable. My mom has been on it for a couple years and it definitely helped her lose the weight she gained when she quit smoking, but I can see her struggling to stay committed to it.

MFP is free, and you have to be committed on your own to stick with it because no one is going to hold you accountable except for you (or if you have an awesome group of friends, they may to a certain extent). Using MFP has been a huge help to me.

Both have their benefits/drawbacks, but if you're looking for long term sustainability, I'd vote for MFP :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Options

You're supposed to eat regular food on WW. What do you think people were eating that wasn't regular food?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    No idea, but it's cheaper.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options

I do both, although I've only been on MFP for a couple of weeks but itt's given me a bit of a push as I'd come to a bit of a stop in my weight loss. It's helping me keep me on track better as I'm logging on a few times a day whereas WW is only once a week. I've found that the PPs roughly co-incide with my 1200 daily calories so I've stopped counting the points. I'm carrying on with the weight watchers though as it does help getting weighed "in public" every week :smile:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    It works better than WW if you set everything up correctly and utilize the proper tools (mainly a food scale IMO).
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    People on MFP can count higher a higher number.

Because you know 2,000 calories is harder to count than 88 pts or w/e the random marketing equivalent is... The only reason why WW exists because it's an easier idea to sell and copyright.
  • sadiedrake
    Options
    I was always a WW girl - until I wasn't!!
    Now MFP and wouldn't go back. All the time I did WW I yo-yo'd, losing and gaining the same 3 stone. i would go 'on plan', lose the weight and then as soon as I went 'off plan' I'd put it all back on again.

This has been the only time I have lost weight (although slower), but have no urge whatsover to go 'off plan' as I never restrict myself. Far healthier for me
  • walzllw
    walzllw Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    MFP is by far the better option. I have done WW several times and never kept the weight off. By using MFP I have changed my lifestyle, learned what foods have more calories and it doesn't seem as rigid. I wouldn't even bother with WW.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Anything will work if you are committed to it.
    MFP is working very well for me. I love it and recommend it to anyone that asks. The price is right, but I would pay for it...........it works that well for me.
  • sadiedrake
    Options

You're supposed to eat regular food on WW. What do you think people were eating that wasn't regular food?

'Diet' food and WW products - food that was convenient. I make 'All' my meals from scratch now, I don't rely on WW products and I don't eat 'junk' just to make up my points as I was told to. If I was 3 points under on my day I would always have a curly wurly or a 'diet' chocolate bar, full of artificial sweetners - 'free' soda was encourages as a drink.
  • rml_16
    Options

'Diet' food and WW products - food that was convenient. I make 'All' my meals from scratch now, I don't rely on WW products and I don't eat 'junk' just to make up my points as I was told to. If I was 3 points under on my day I would always have a curly wurly or a 'diet' chocolate bar, full of artificial sweetners - 'free' soda was encourages as a drink.
    That's a choice and people on MFP make the same choice. I have done WW for years. I've maybe tried a WW meal once or twice, but I never made a habit of it. I ate real, regular food, the same things I eat on MFP.

If people actually properly follow WW (the Good Health Guidelines included), it's impossible to do the program eating mostly WW products and "diet" foods.

The problem is people don't pay attention to things like the GHGs, which teach a lot about proper nutrition and making better food choices.

You may have CHOSEN to eat and drink those things, but they are not essential to the program by any means. In fact, the marketing behind WW is you can eat whatever you want in moderation. Just like here.

And it's just as easy to go "off program" from calorie counting as it is to go off program doing WW.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've never tried WW, so I can't compare, but MFP is free, and I like free.

Oh, and I've found MFP to be quite effective, so I think it's worth a shot. :flowerforyou: