Thinking about increasing daily calories... suggestions

Options
Looking for some feedback/suggestion from the MFP community on breaking plateau. Currently my profile is set with a goal to lose about 10 pounds. I'm currently between 150-155. But would say my true weight (weighed in the morning is at 150).

I would really just be happy with breaking the 150 mark! It's been over a year and a half since I've been below 150!!! This is the first time I’m actually trying to correct my diet, rather than just increasing fitness. Right now my profile goal is set to intake only 1,200 calories. With working out only 3 times a week and with the types of food I've been eating - do you think it would be ok and healthy to increase my calories up to 1,500 AND still be able to lose weight to meet my goal? I would like to be at 145 lbs. by end of October. That's 5 lbs. in a little over a month time frame.

Feel free to look at my food journal - I've only started tracking my food over the last week, but have started cleaning up my eating habits over 2 weeks ago.

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You need to open up your food diary to the public, we can't read it.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I can say from my experience that I was able to lose as much weight with my calories set at 1600 as I was at 1200 and I didn't feel quite as hungry. The only thing is you may not lose for a little while as your body readjusts to the increased calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you aren't already logging your exercise and eating back the earned calories, then, yes, I would go ahead and do so. MFP gives you a goal with the assumption that you'll eat more when you exercise.
  • sarfran27
    Options
    Try it, see how your body responds. Experiment with your own body, that's the only way you'll find what works for you. Play around with your intake until you find a SUSTAINABLE way to reach your goals.

Good luck!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    change your MFP goal to lose 1 lb a week and eat that amount. Exercise and eat back most or all of your fitness cals too and you will hit 145 by the end of Oct.
  • mush_mellow
    mush_mellow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input... I think I will increase my intake slightly. On my workout days - I try not to consume back the burned calories. I just see that as pointless (but that's only my opinion). My body is tired, and I am super moody lately - I don't think 1200 calories a day for the next month is wise move for me. If it's possible to lose weight still at 1500 calories a day, than I'll do that. :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Go to the Scooby Workshop website..just google it.. and use the calorie calculator. It works. I used that..but only I subtract 500 calories because I want to eat back exercise calories to make sure I work out.

I'm loisng eating 1600 calories a day..plus another 600 I earn from exercise on the days I work out. I am thrilled I can eat so much and I'm losing.

There is great advice on there... i think you lose at a slower rate closer you get to goal..