Pronators...

Options
Which shoe do you love?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a running store. The right shoe for me may not be the right shoe for you.
  • SeeShayRun
    Options
    I did. I was fitted in lunarglide4 and have heard they aren't the best for pronation. I was jw what some other runners love. :)
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Where did you get fitted? If it was at a running store, they should have suggested a shoe that was appropriate for pronation. If they put you in the wrong shoe, I would suggest going somewhere else for a second opinion.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    New Balance 860 V3

But I agree that you should get checked even at another store. It took trying 3 pairs of shoes, and being video recorded running for 30 seconds wearing each one before the person helping me was satisfied with the support.
  • SeeShayRun
    Options
    I did get fitted at a running store. They did video gait analysis and this is what they recommended. I've been having it band issues though so I'm thinking of checking into another shoe.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I solved my pronation (is that a word? lol) by getting into Chi Running. I used to overpronate but last time I was fitted for shoes at my LRS they said I longer pronate.

To answer your question I am wearing Brooks Pure Cadences.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have moderate pronation and run in Saucony Progrid Omni 9 shoes. They are comfortable and I've never run into problems with shin splints, etc.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    If that's the shoe they fitted you with after they did the video analysis then they must be correct.

Was that the ONLY shoe option they gave you? When I go to my running store they give me at least 4 options to try -- all different brands but the same type of shoe. If you just got the shoes you might be able to bring them back to the store and either return them or ask them why it was recommended for your specific gait since you heard it's the wrong shoe.

The running store KNOWS shoes and feet. I'm guessing they fit you properly.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I pimp out the Brooks Adrenaline to anyone I can. Love those shoes. Also heard good things about the Saucony Omni for overpronation.

Regarding stretches, check this link: http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/itbs-iliotibial-band-syndrome
  • LoraF83
    Options
    If that's the shoe they fitted you with after they did the video analysis then they must be correct.

Was that the ONLY shoe option they gave you? When I go to my running store they give me at least 4 options to try -- all different brands but the same type of shoe. If you just got the shoes you might be able to bring them back to the store and either return them or ask them why it was recommended for your specific gait since you heard it's the wrong shoe.

The running store KNOWS shoes and feet. I'm guessing they fit you properly.

This.

If you're still having issues, it could be a form problem, not a shoe problem.

Check out goodformrunning.com or look into Chi running.
  • SeeShayRun
    Options
    Cool! Thanks peeps!!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I did get fitted at a running store. They did video gait analysis and this is what they recommended. I've been having it band issues though so I'm thinking of checking into another shoe.

I mostly wear Brooks Ravenna for my light over pronation. I also have a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires that work well.

For the IT band - get a foam roller and start rolling the IT band daily.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Thumbs up to LoraF83 for the Chi mention - worked great to keep you from overstriding, focusing on cadence. It's amazing how much speed you can pick up from a higher volume of slightly shorter strides.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    We all pronate. It's part of the natural shock absorbtion for your body when walking or running. Over pronation or under pronation (supination) can lead to problems. I assume you mean you overpronate, given the shoes they recommended.

Yes, it's possible even with the analysis that those are not the best shoe for you. IT band pain can be caused by several things, of which overpronation is only one. The cliche "we are all an experiment of one" does come into play with both shoes and IT band issues.

have you tried stretching the IT band, rolling it and other treatments? Have you reviewed your exercise logs to determine if the IT band may be an overuse issue?

you could also get a pair of inserts that will reduce pronation a bit more and see if that makes a difference either way. It would be another data point that would cost less than a new pair of shoes.

Good luck!
  • Khanivore
    Options
    I'm a mild pronator. It's more on my left. My right foot is almost neutral! :) Anyway, I rotate two shoes so my feet are not too used to one movement pattern every single run! I rotate between Asics Kayano 13 and Suacony Mirage 3. Before the Saucony I was using the Asics and some Nike running shoes. However, I wanted to develop more of a mid foot striking pattern so i moved to the Saucony which are only 4mm heel drop. What a difference. I'm not sure my pronation now comes in to it as I am not heel striking.
  • KurtK1970
    KurtK1970 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    After *completely* messing up my left foot this spring when I attempted to start a running program while wearing cheap Walmart hiking boots, the doctor and physical therapists told me that I was a pretty major pronator. Once I was finally able to walk again (yeah, it was THAT bad), I went to a very good shoe store that specializes in running shoes. I told them what happened, they looked at my foot and my stride, and they had me try on some Saucony Omni 12 shoes. I fell in love with them the moment I tried them on, and I've been running more and more and my foot feels perfectly fine.
    I love my Sauconys. :)
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I used to wear Asics exclusively, but kept getting blisters. Now I am in Brooks Adrenaline. Love the Brooks. I wear a stability shoe. When I was fitted, they gave me several shoes to try on that were stability shoes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I underpronate and wear Brooks Ghost.

Your IT band issues may have zip to do with your shoes and more to do with weak muscles in that area (inner thighs and glutes) Do a lot of rolling and stretching and exercises to strengthen those muscles like side leg lifts, squats, etc.
  • SeeShayRun
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the input! I got a foam roller this morning so I'll try that before switching shoes! :)
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I pimp out the Brooks Adrenaline to anyone I can. Love those shoes. Also heard good things about the Saucony Omni for overpronation.

Regarding stretches, check this link: http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/itbs-iliotibial-band-syndrome

Same here. I LOVE my Adrenalines! I was fitted at a running store after seeing a PT for an ankle injury. I also wear Brooks Pure Cadence for daily shoes, and they're awesome. 100% recommend checking out Brooks shoes.