Best for a busty, skinny-fat girl looking to tone up? :)

Options
I am 31, 5’5, 120 pounds, 34D.

I want to tone my body without my breasts diminishing.

I have 5 days to work with, about an hour a day.

What size weights should I lift? I have been lifting the lightest ones but I just read that lifting light weights is pretty much the same as cardio and I need to get heavier weights, with less reps. How many reps?

How much cardio is too much? How much is not enough?

Thank you :)

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as toning. It's called muscles :wink:
    Which are gained by lifting heavy (as in as heavy as you can) so drop the pink weights ^_^

Maybe look into New rules of lifting, Starting Strength or StrongLifts. I prefer StrongLifts but its a matter of personal choice. You don't need cardio, that is also a personal choice.

As for your boobs, sadly you cannot spot reduce meaning that they might go down or not, every body reacts differently. Your BF% will go down and we never really know what goes down first.

Sorry I'm not really sugar coating this but that's how it is :flowerforyou:
  • sjbowles82
    Options
    Thanks! :)

I don’t want to overdo it and hurt myself though… right now I am lifting 2kg (4.4 pound) weights and even they hurt.

What do you think I should move up to?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'll second what the other poster said. There is no 'toning'. There is big or small muscle covered by varying degrees of fat. The best way to change the look of your body is to lift.

What are you doing with 2kg weights that makes it hurt?

The most significant changes I saw in my physique and mental outlook came from lifting. I began with starting strength but the new rules of lifting for women is also a great place to start. You will see a ton of benefits from it.

I would suggest a bit of research. This site is an awesome place to begin http://www.stumptuous.com. Get under a bar and start teaching yourself.
  • sjbowles82
    Options

With the dumbbells I do curls, lateral raises, front raises and French presses.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between hurting because you're accumulating lactic acid and fatiguing the muscle, and hurting because you are doing damage to yourself.

Lifting hurts, or you're not using enough weight. No getting around it. It should burn. It should not feel like sharp, tearing, or cramping pain.

With 2kg weights and those exercises, you're not doing anything but fatiguing the muscle unless you've got a previous injury or are using the worst form ever. You should be lifting as much weight as you can for relatively low reps and still keep good form.

Seconding the rec for New rules of lifting, Starting Strength or StrongLifts.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

With the dumbbells I do curls, lateral raises, front raises and French presses.

Are you doing a ton of reps? I can't think of what else it could be that may be causing pain. That weight is like lifting a purse. Where does it hurt? Is it muscular or joint related?
  • sjbowles82
    Options
    Sorry guys, hurt was probably the wrong word. What I mean is I can really feel it when I lift something as small as 2kg weights. I do 10 reps, 3 or 4 sets and my arms are killing me afterwards. It’s that good, exercise-y burn but still aching. I am concerned if I switch to a heavier weight I just won’t be able to do it? Apart from a bit of tuck shop up the top, my arms are stick thin.

I am using the form my previous personal trainer showed me some years ago.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into something that involves compound lifts. A good beginner program like Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, or New Rules of Lifting for Women will give you a well rounded lifting routine and also advise you on how to figure out a good starting weight.

If you're doing 40 reps with a weight, it's too light.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You're gonna need heavier weights than that. I didn't "tone up" till I started working with weights in the 80-130 lbs range.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    From when I worked with a trainer- lift a weight that's heavy enough that you can't do more than 8 or 10 reps.
    It should be HARD to complete the last 2-3 reps, but keep good form! I never grab anything less than 15 lb in each hand personally and I rarely lift; it's not like I'm that strong. See how many reps you can do with 10 lb weights, to start. I use heavier weights for exercises that target big muscle groups like squats, lunges, and bicep curls, but I stay lighter (~15 lb) for things like overhead shoulder presses because I find those more challenging!

If you lose fat, it's extremely likely that your boobs will get a little smaller. Sad truth!
    Make sure you're using good form- watch trainer YouTube videos if you're not sure. f it's really your first time lifting, consider a few appointments with a personal trainer to make sure you're doing everything right.
  • Jit7
    Jit7 Posts: 75
    Options
    Here is a link to the Stronglifts for women page

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I'm new to this myself but there are many women seeing great results on this. Take it at your pace. I am only one week in so can't really comment on my results but it's well worth a read on some of the discussions.
  • sjbowles82
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your help!!!

I think I am going to try the 10lb weights as albertine58 suggested and see how I go. :)

Do you think 5 days is overdoing it? I often find I become bored and run out of things to do… do you think 3 days would be enough (rest Tuesday and Thursday)?
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your help!!!

I think I am going to try the 10lb weights as albertine58 suggested and see how I go. :)

Do you think 5 days is overdoing it? I often find I become bored and run out of things to do… do you think 3 days would be enough (rest Tuesday and Thursday)?

Yes, you need to give your body time to recover and repair from your workout, especially once you start using a heavier weight. 3 days should be fine.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    What made you choose the exercises you have listed? What will they do that squatting or military/overhead press won't do. If you do more compound work you should be able to lift heavier.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Forget the exercises that work only small muscles (biceps, triceps, inner thighs etc.). Monday Wednesday and Friday, find a program that you like (Stronglifts, NROLFW, Starting Strength) and follow that. If none of those appeal to you, find another program that concentrates on compound lifts. These exercises will work your large and small muscles at the same time. Tuesdays and Thursdays do your cardio.