Running protection

Options

Replies

• Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of America and couldn't leave it. My freedom to own guns makes me feel safer:)

QFT. :):drinker:

OP, I don't have an answer as I'm currently residing in Japan and can't carry anything here--but once I'm back in America I'll be looking into the same thing. I want a flashbang holster, but I don't think it'd work with workout gear. Maybe this is something to pitch to holster manufacturers? Definitely a good idea!!!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your typical running clothing is, but there are some nice Inside Waist Band holsters out there. The issue is still the weight. I carry one of those when doing outdoors running / walking most times. My daughter uses a holster that clips to a sport bra when she's out running. Good luck...
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    The best thing I've seen so far are the compression shorts with the holster built in. My boyfriend would love for me to carry while I run, but I just don't think I would be comfortable with it. If I had to run in the early morning like you I might change my mind, though. Good luck!
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My husband said to recommend an ankle holster and balance the other ankle with a running weight.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    most petty criminals dont even carry guns, its just too hard for them to get. its only the really serious ones that have guns and they arent going to worry about runners.
    Unfortunately that's not true. I personally know two people who were held up at two different locations with guns, by petty criminals. One was even pistol whipped. These people literally had their lives threatened for a few dollars.

But like you said, that's not the point of this thread.

the 5.11 stuff is cool, if a bit pricey. IMO pepper spray may be a better option for you while running. Especially if it's dark... you don't need to be nearly as accurate with that stuff and it will stop just about anyone from doing whatever they had planned to do long enough for you to beat a hasty retreat. It's also lightweight, compact, and easy to carry. Not as effective as a pistol, but in this case worth considering.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Hi, OP! I work on amilitary base, and of course a lot of the soldiers have personal weapons. I had to go ask someone...several of them wear dri-fit shirts or biker shorts with a gun pocket thingy sewn into it. Another guy wears a holster that looks more like a fitted vest with pockets to carry his ipod, and keys and it has regulation reflective tape sewn into it. One of the female soldiers, though, said the dri-fit shirt's pocket was too high and her breasts got in the way. She recommended something called a Belly Band, especially if you have a very defined waist, in relation to your hips.

Hope this helps...
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi, OP! I work on amilitary base, and of course a lot of the soldiers have personal weapons. I had to go ask someone...several of them wear dri-fit shirts or biker shorts with a gun pocket thingy sewn into it. Another guy wears a holster that looks more like a fitted vest with pockets to carry his ipod, and keys and it has regulation reflective tape sewn into it. One of the female soldiers, though, said the dri-fit shirt's pocket was too high and her breasts got in the way. She recommended something called a Belly Band, especially if you have a very defined waist, in relation to your hips.

Hope this helps...

Yes! Thank you so much!!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Shoulder holster over t-shirt and under over shirt. I have used this in the past and it worked about as well as anything. I have carried a Glock 9 and 40 this way.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    How likely is it that a firearm could be accidentally discharged?

How likely is it your firearm might fall off if not secured properly whilst running? Who might find it??

How likely are you to ever NEED it? How likely are you to be disarmed before you get the chance to use it?

I live in England, and whilst guns are illegal for the average person, of course the bad guys have them.

Whilst we don't have the choice to carry things that are specifically engineered to kill people, we can choose *where* we run.

If you REALLY REALLY HAVE to carry a gun whilst running, I'd say spend the $$$'s, buy a correct and well fitted holster/people-killing carrying device holder and live with the discomfort if it means you feel 'safe'.

I'd also wear a knuckleduster too....you know, just incase. and perhaps a flicknife inside one of your socks..just to be REALLY safe.
  • staticstasis
    Options
    I don't own a gun, and never will so I have no idea what kind of holster you should use.

I am also petite (5'0) and run in the early morning, and all I carry with me is my phone, and my keys. I keep my keys threaded between my fingers and hold my mini flashlight (which I'm considering subbing for a laser pointer) under my thumb just in case, even though the most threat I face in my area at 6am is raccoons and skunks.

Opinions of guns aside, I think it would be pretty impractical weight distribution wise. If I lived in a dangerous neighbourhood, I'd carry a pocket-knife with a switch-blade like trigger in my pocket of my running jacket. You might want to check with local law enforcement on laws regarding that.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Shoulder holster worked best for me. I wore it over a t-shirt and under an over shirt. If it flops around then secure it with an ace bandage.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Greetings randrews0623,
    I definitely don't want to start a political debate, just wanted some information from others out there like me. I am a female under 5 feet tall and I'm pretty obsessed with running. Because of my husband's work schedule, my job and our son, I have to run early in the morning. Most days I run alone but some days I run with others. My question is if anyone on here carries while they run? I found some running holsters but am leery of purchasing something expensive ($50) to have it be uncomfortable or just not practical. Anyone have any advice or recommendations?

I respect anyone who does not carry. I respect anyone who does. Please don't preach if you don't like guns, just ignore and move on as I'm sure neither of us will change our minds;) I'm not out to shoot for no reason, I just want to be safe. I carry pepper spray but due to some terrible events in my family background, would feel safer to have a weapon when I'm running alone. Obviously, I have a permit. Thanks in advance!

I imagine a gun would be quite heavy and cumbersome to carry - and quite possibly noticeable. Have you thought about carrying a small can of capsicum spray/mace instead?
    kind regards,

Ben
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    When I am not able to run at a time that feels safe to me (light out and a well-populated trail), I use a treadmill. I just don't think it's worth it to run outside when you feel that the threat is sufficient to need a weapon. I'm not trying to convince you not to carry a gun, but how is it worth it, psychologically, to do that?
    I agree
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Omg with all the opinions about firearms... If you do not see a reason to own or carry, great God bless you, but unless you think a person who chooses to do so could change your mind, please do not voice you opinion in attempts to change our minds. Better to have and not need, than need and not have..

To OP, belly band or a fanny pack is a good option, ankle holster is another. Jealous of Kel-tec
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Mace ... When running, your adrenaline is already pumping, add a gun to that ... eh ... not a very good idea, IMO ... Go to your local hunting/sporting store and get some bear mace ... Sadly, if you live in NJ (like me), you'll have to settle for the jogger's mace, still works though ... My ex knows this all too well, lol ... He bought it for me and I wanted to test it ... long story short, I accidentally maced him ... Oops ... :D ... I felt so bad, but I couldn't stop laughing ...

ETA: I have nothing against guns, members of my family are hunters (Yay, deer meat ... yum!), but from a practicality standpoint, the mace is a better option, since you have it on your wrist for the duration of your run; where as the gun, you have to stop and grab ...
  • Littlestandrews
    Options
    How likely is it that a firearm could be accidentally discharged?

How likely is it your firearm might fall off if not secured properly whilst running? Who might find it??

How likely are you to ever NEED it? How likely are you to be disarmed before you get the chance to use it?

I live in England, and whilst guns are illegal for the average person, of course the bad guys have them.

Whilst we don't have the choice to carry things that are specifically engineered to kill people, we can choose *where* we run.

If you REALLY REALLY HAVE to carry a gun whilst running, I'd say spend the $$$'s, buy a correct and well fitted holster/people-killing carrying device holder and live with the discomfort if it means you feel 'safe'.

I'd also wear a knuckleduster too....you know, just incase. and perhaps a flicknife inside one of your socks..just to be REALLY safe.

You mad bro?
    You must've missed the part where I didn't ask for your opinion on gun control. I specifically said I wasn't trying to start a debate. I just wanted the opinions of people who already carry while running.
  • Littlestandrews
    Options
    Omg with all the opinions about firearms... If you do not see a reason to own or carry, great God bless you, but unless you think a person who chooses to do so could change your mind, please do not voice you opinion in attempts to change our minds. Better to have and not need, than need and not have..

To OP, belly band or a fanny pack is a good option, ankle holster is another. Jealous of Kel-tec

This! Thanks:)
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Can you borrow a neighbor's dog? I chatted with a nice lady last month who "borrows" her neighbor's Rottweiler for her morning runs in a bad area of town. She's loving it, the Rottie has a blast, and her neighbor loves it because he doesn't have to exercise the dog. I have two Airedales, both big male brutes, and no one bothers me...it's more like the "parting of the sea" when we go out for walks. Just an idea...be safe!
  • brokenhonu
    brokenhonu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    have you looked at this http://bellybandccw.com
This discussion has been closed.