Birthday Celebrations

Options
My birthday is on Saturday and I am hoping to put mfp away for just a couple hours in the evening. At some point the next morning I will still log the burgers, wings and beer that my friends helped me shove into my face, but I won't worry about tracking bite-for-bite, and put the phone away for one night. I plan to front load a calorie burn (say 800-900) beforehand to make room, and take it easy on the intake Sunday (maybe a fast day).

I feel a little hypocritical, because when responding to posts about weekly cheat days I usually revert to "You wouldn't celebrate a smoke-free milestone by having a cigarette" or "this is a lifestyle change and you can't get those calories back once you cheat". Then again, I don't expect this to be a weekly (or even monthly) event.

Suggestions or comments from people who have a consistent weight loss (or just positive fitness) track record are welcome. Anything that will save a few calories or keep me from overdoing it while still allowing me to have a stress free time.

Yes the "Guyet" beer commercials are now in my head.

Replies

• bsmock
    bsmock Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Birthdays are definitely worth celebrating!!! My advice to you........Get a really good workout prior to the festivities. Eat light throughout the day and then, JUST RELAX!! While I was on vacation I didn't log bite for bite and yes I had a few beers and other drinks!! It didn't take one day to put on the extra weight and it will certainly not hurt for ONE day to be a little lax. You have done so well, don't stress yourself out. ENJOY your birthday!! They only come once a year!!! ;)
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! My birthday is on the 5th and I've already planned myself a treat for that day. I'm having a little of my favorites and even a little cake. My plan is to get in some good exercise first and eat light for the rest of the day.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    happy birthday!

one cheat day wont break you. as long as you can control it. is there anyway you could make the food healthier? it could benefit your friends too :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday :drinker: The important part is not to starve yourself before you go out with your friends. Make sure you have a filling healthy snack before so can avoid over doing it.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My birthday is tomorrow, too! :) The big 3-0.

Edited to add that I am visiting theme parks and such tomorrow, and I plan on cheating. I owe it to myself. I've done so well lately. 2 days aren't going to ruin everything I've done. And you can only eat so much food in one day. Especially after eating so little, it'll be hard to eat a lot.
  • tonytedesco
    tonytedesco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Samantha! Wish I was still celebrating my big 3-0! heck.. I would settle for the 4-0 lol. Enjoy the theme parks!
  • angelinarun
    Options
    Welcome to your 30's - its a great decade!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

I understand how you feel, and I think you have the right idea about working out (and maybe lighter eating) as a preemptive strike! ;-)

I've got a heckuva month coming up...4 day road trip on which I'll marry my fiancé, followed by Halloween and my 37th birthday at the beginning of November. Lots of temptation in the next several weeks but I fully intend on logging faithfully and only going over my calories by a small margin.

We can do this!!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This is different from if you have quit smoking, unless food is an addiction for you. One cigarette could trigger an ex-smoker to start up again, but hopefully you've learned enough on your journey to have an indulgence once and a while without feeling any guilt, or be thrown totally off the rails.
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    I celebrate my own bday with complete godless abandon but don't really celebrate others'... Unless it's a particularly wild party in which case I say bottoms up. You only live once. You can make up for it later.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Too funny Tony. I beat ya to it by a day. Except for me, nothing standing in between today and 50 YIKES!

Have a great one tomorrow bud. See ya on the feed. :drinker:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The way I handle it is to allow myself to indulge but not TOO much. I went to Oktoberfest pub crawl a few weeks ago (day long event) and had a couple beers and a mixed drink (malibu and diet), had a glass or two of water in between, said no thanks to my friends when they tried to talk me into more drinks, avoided the apps that didn't really appeal to me (not worth the calories), had a nice lunch and didn't even feel the need for dinner when I got home. And we did a lot of walking around too.

The worst problem I have with events like that is if I get a good enough buzz going, my inhibitons are lowered enough so that temptations get the better of me. So I try to take it slow with the alcohol consumption. And the whole not wanting to drink and drive thing is a fantastic reason to say no for anyone trying to pressure me to drink more.

You've obviously started developing better eating habits so why let that go altogether? Go ahead and have a burger, some wings and beer but there's no need to totally stuff yourself because it's your birthday. Getting a good workout in before hand and eating light that day (but not too light - need to support that good workout) is a good idea but I don't like the idea of fasting the next day. You can still eat, just keep it on the lighter side for a few days. Your body doesn't work on a 24 hour clock - spreading out your overage over the week works just fine.

On the other hand, it's your b-day so go crazy if you want. Just make sure you make peace with whatever you decide so you're not beating yourself up for the next week or two...

BTW, blaming your behavior on your friends is lame...
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Happy Happy Birthday!!! You're not a hypocrit to want to let go a little bit for you're birthday dinner. Just enjoy it Mister and have a wonderful time! You'll be just fine :)
  • sr_erick
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Have fun and enjoy your birthday. I am very strict throughout the week and allow myself to enjoy things on a weekend here or there, having some beer, maybe a day of no logging. I try not get ridiculous, but the body and mind have to let go every once in a while. We are all human.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I think you've got a great plan. Burning calories beforehand is a good idea. Have fun. Happy Birthday!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Just celebrate! And that without regret!

A light day on Sunday and lots of water will help get the sodium out and you back on track ;-)

Have a great day tomorrow!
  • tonytedesco
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I feel a little better already and many of you hit the mark... I've learned a lot in this journey and I'm sure that I will know when my body says 'enough'. I will go out have a good time and not worry too much. I will post a final damage tally here on Sunday!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!
    Honestly it doesn't sound like the point of this "cheat" day, if that's what you would call it, is to gorge yourself in food just for the sake of it, which is probably what you find most frustrating about others.
    Based on what you said, I imagine that the purpose of this is just so you don't have to be OCD for a day, and you can relax and enjoy yourself on a day that you're meant to.
    I say go for it.
    I doubt you'll end up eating an entire cake or doing too much harm "just because you can".

I still track on my birthday, but usually I set aside calories for that day by eating less on others. I have to track, or I WILL be one of those people who gorge themselves on wonderful birthday pastries. But you seem more self disciplined than that, so go have fun!
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My advice is go for a nice long run the night before

BINGE LIKE HELL

go for a nice long run the night after

you will be fine. A 1 day party will not change anything in the long run.
  • tonytedesco
    Options
    just so you don't have to be OCD for a day, and you can relax and enjoy yourself on a day that you're meant to.

You get me!