pork -- is it safe?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Someone just mentioned on a forum that they don't eat pork or beef,

People do and say all kinds of dumb ****...welcome to MFP...and the world really.
  • Amml55
    Amml55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pork. It is an unclean meat. Pigs will eat anything...even their dead young. It's also written in the bible.
    There are so many options out there. Why not focus on eating those?

My family is full of nurses and they also don't eat pork, but has seen the damages eating swine has caused many people. The thought of parasites eating you from the inside out is disturbing to me. Patients dealing with brain surgery to get the parasites out is disheartening.

The person that said not to clean your meat due to some clip she watched is dead wrong. I always clean my meat whenever possible! I use a sink with lemon or vinegar water. I wash the meat well and take off as much fat as possible. It's easier to come off. I make sure I wash my hands, sink, and counter top after! That is the key Miss Kitty. Not running the meat under a runny tap. That is just silly. Do it this way and you will have no problems. :)
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: pork -- is it safe?

No, no it is not safe. Don't go believing all that "it's the other white meat" gobbledygook, we ALL know that pork is the most gansta meat around.

770521600_530078.gif
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well you know the saying/././///
    PUT PORK ON YOUR FORK!
    ha ha ha ha ha
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pork. It is an unclean meat. Pigs will eat anything...even their dead young. It's also written in the bible.

My family is full of nurses and they also don't eat pork, but has seen the damages eating swine has caused many people. The thought of parasites eating you from the inside out is disturbing to me. Patients dealing with brain surgery to get the parasites out is disheartening.

You can basically get parasites from anything. A walk in the woods, swimming, many kinds of food.

Also, there are so many things written in the bible that are horrific, I doubt you live by any of those.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    i always make sure my pork is disease free before consuming.

heh.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

The person that said not to clean your meat due to some clip she watched is dead wrong. I always clean my meat whenever possible! I use a sink with lemon or vinegar water. I wash the meat well and take off as much fat as possible. It's easier to come off. I make sure I wash my hands, sink, and counter top after! That is the key Miss Kitty. Not running the meat under a runny tap. That is just silly. Do it this way and you will have no problems. :)

UugcoQG.gif
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    why whine when you can eat sweet & delicious swine?

bacon.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Please read this article. For USDA pork, you should be fine, even if it is still pink.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/dining/porks-safe-cooking-temperature-is-lowered.html?_r=0

This. Pigs are not raised out on farms grazing on all kinds of *kitten* anymore. It was dangerous to not cook meat to death when I was young. My mother could make a pork chop into shoe leather in about 90 minutes of frying. Didn't read the article, but pretty sure this is why people fear pork.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Pork is fine.

If you cook it to the appropriate temperature any harmful bacteria are killed.They do not dissipate, they die.

If the farm you buy your pork from treats the animals well and is clean, and it's butchered responsibly and cleanly, pork is great. But do your research. Be responsible.

Everyone will tell you something different about pork being "unclean" or not allowed by their religion or other things but if pork is allowable in your sphere, it is fine to consume.

You should consult the USDA guidelines on cooking temps if you are really worried, but after that it's personal preference.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, we even eat it raw in Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett

800px-Mettbroetchen.jpg