Clearly the pant sizes at stores are wrong...

Options
2»

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    For me, it took getting into one of the horrific changing rooms. You know - the ones with all the mirrors and weird lighting? And I was like "Who is that skinny chick?!"
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    sizing depends on the manufacturer, if you saw sizes from the 1940's when the Industry standards were set, a current size 8 would be a true size 14, Marilyn Monroe is an example.
    Since Americans have gotten larger in size, manufacturers have increased garment measurements.
    You can measure yourself, then look up the sizing chart of the manufacturer to get a clear look and see what fits you, more expensive garments or European tend to be true to size which is smaller, American mass consumer market garments tend to be larger in s-xl sizing so that more people fit into them.
    It really depends on the manufacturer of the products you're buying, also, each lot is slightly different than the other due to many manufacturing processes that can alter the final product. Factories are given a range in which to finish the final product, making clothes is subject to human error. hope this helps,
    I work in the garment industry.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Are you happy with how they fit and how you look? That's all the counts. Sizing can be crazy. I'm not saying your'e NOT a size 8, but don't be surprised if the next time you try on a pair, you might be a 10. Or a six. Or any other size at all.

I have some size 8 jeans that are like skin on a sausage and some that will come down without unbuttoning them. I went shopping the other day wearing size 6 shorts, tried on a pair of size 6 jeans, and couldn't get them past my quads. I have no clue what "size" I am, because I wear anything from a size 2 to a 10....

size_zpsf65f7019.jpg

Wow! Great comparison! You look great btw!
  • Ladydrake12
    Ladydrake12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I deployed to Afghanistan I really dialed in my diet and fitness regime. Came home about 30 lbs lighter and I didn't really realize it until people kept telling me how much better I looked, how much healthier I looked. It didn't take until about... I don't know... the 100th person or so. Haha, it's kind of a shock and does take some time to get used to. For me i'd say maybe a couple weeks.

Thank you for serving and congrats on the weight loss!
  • nathotte
    nathotte Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Went from a 12/14 to a 4 and I still see the 12/14 when I look in the mirror, starting to see a change the more I look at before and after pics side my side. Pictures are the first place you'll see it.
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was edging near a size 22 when I started to lose. I had never been smaller than an 11/13 since middle school, but after having a baby I kept gaining weight. I am now new to the world of single digits and can fit into an 8. I never thought I would be anything smaller than an 11, but here I am. I don't see it in the mirror though. I have to stare at old pictures to remember that I don't look like that anymore. I also still have a lot of loose skin on my belly from being pregnant and gaining weight afterwards that has been acting as kind of a mental road block for me to appreciate all of the hard work that I have done. Some days I feel it more than others. I'm sure my brain will catch up with reality at some point and I'm sure yours will too!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    For me a year
    I still think my clothes look impossibly small. Not sure how long that part will take.

YES!!! That's it. I just can't judge clothing sizes anymore. I'm a sizing cripple :laugh:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Are you happy with how they fit and how you look? That's all the counts. Sizing can be crazy. I'm not saying your'e NOT a size 8, but don't be surprised if the next time you try on a pair, you might be a 10. Or a six. Or any other size at all.

I have some size 8 jeans that are like skin on a sausage and some that will come down without unbuttoning them. I went shopping the other day wearing size 6 shorts, tried on a pair of size 6 jeans, and couldn't get them past my quads. I have no clue what "size" I am, because I wear anything from a size 2 to a 10....

size_zpsf65f7019.jpg

Holy cow! That is crazy!

sheesh :ohwell:
    In light of these pics, I was planning on going to thrift store today to get a couple more pair of jeans, but, well, can't trust my eyes :laugh: so I took a pair of well fitting jeans that I love & measured with my handy dandy keychain tape measure across the hips at the widest point.

When I went to the thrift store, I measured across & bought 2 pair of jeans that corresponded & viole! I tried them on at home & both fit. like. a. glove. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blushing:

Just thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else was in the same boat :drinker:
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    So with you on this--I also recently bought some size 8 pants for the first time in god knows how long and I still can't really believe I can wear a single-digit size pair of pants. It's finally starting to sink in for me that I've lost some weight, but I'm still hesitant to buy new work clothes "just in case". Having said that, my old 12s can be pulled off my body without unbuttoning, so clearly I need to shop, but....
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Clothes manufacturers have actually started making sizes bigger since the 60's. So a size 4 in 1960 would probably be like a size 0 or -2 now. They began doing this as American waists have gotten bigger to sell more clothes. I used to wear a size 8 when I weighed 135 lbs. I fit into an 8 now at 150lbs. How does that happen?? Clothes makers are sizing clothes bigger. The stinkers!! Now, I don't think they are ALL doing it, but I think many are. I still can't walk into a Banana Republic and put on an 8 there, but I can walk into Kohls and wear some of their 8's. Same with J Crew, no way an I wearing an 8 there, but maybe at Gap. They are fitting their clothes to fit the "average" American waistline.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about my pants size. I went from an 18/20 to an 8/10 and when I look in the mirror, I don't see much of a difference at all... What I did is buy the same pair of pretty cheap pants (I think after all the discounts they were like $2.97!) in a bunch of different sizes, so then I KNOW I'm actually getting smaller instead of the size difference being due to different cuts/brands.