help - not losing at 1200 calories

Options
1235»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Excellent link. In the end, this is the truth as to why we don't lose weight (quoted from above article):
    Basically, you’re eating more calories than you think you are, burning less calories than you think you are, or both… and no deficit is present.

That's why it's so important to log both exercise and calories accurately.
  • icekitties
    Options
    Sometimes you have to play around to see what works for you! I know for me i have to eat less calories and don't follow the daily calories we suppose to have everyday just until I hit my goal to get back to healthy again! I know for me I would have to hit around 520 calories at the gym and eat very little like string cheese parafit and wraps which I eat which is lettuce tomatoes and chicken with no dressing and its good in order to lose weight which is pretty a pound a day since I'm still overweight! I haven't been going to the gym recently due to achille tendon injury which I love to run because I knew I could lose weight quick if I do it but now I can't because of the injury. Play around and see what works for you and again it probably have to eat less calories or exercise more to lose weight! Good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Excuse me damir00, I DID actually do that...am doing it now and it is not working; hence the reason for asking for help. I have gone from NO activity at all to working out 5x/wk and I AM LOVING IT. I read an article about how lifting heavy weights is more effective than cardio for weight loss. I am lifting heavy weight 3x/wk and cardio 2x/wk (moderate excursion). The feeling of confidence and empowerment from lifting weights makes me feel on top of the world!

You said your husband was running 5 miles a day and eating 900 calories. Now in the same paragraph above, you are saying (a) you are doing what your husband does and (b) you are only doing cardio twice a week. Which is it?

Anyway, the usual explanation appears to be in effect - over-estimated calories burned and underestimating food consumed.

Good luck!
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i don't eat back my calories.. i usually net between 500 and 900 calories and i lose.. my suggestion is keep sugars bad fats and carbs very low. fruits are actually very high in sugar.. they make me gain and/or maintain.. veggies are great. carbs of course are sugars as well.. if you want crackers, i suggest wasa crisp n light, akmak, or melba toast. lean meats of course... chicken, turkey, pork, fish, and even tenderloin are great. just watch portion. don't be afraid of avocados, they are great fats.. and very sustainable foods. fresh ground peanut or almond butter (no sugar or salt added) are also great sustaining foods. high protean, low carb, sugar.. good fats.. as many of those kinds of foods as you can find.. that's how i lost my weight.. 84 lbs...

oh and working out 1 hr a day and during the summer landscaping 2 hrs a day
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party and did not read all the replies but looking at your diary I noticed your exercise calorie burns are really high for what you say you're doing and that you eat pretty much every one of them back most days. Weight training burns virtually nothing above BMR so logging almost 200 calories for 30 minutes isn't right and riding a stationary bike for 30 minutes for 414 is very high. I ride my road bike on hills for an hour to get that burn. If you really want to say you eat 1200 a day then eat 1200 a day. Most days you've been more in the 1700 range.
  • meg192327
    meg192327 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I agree, this is a great article! Very informative.