How many calories is this salad?

Options
Tonight I am planning on getting a BIG yummy salad for dinner :) it's a "build your own" type of thing so here is what I am thinking.. (the ingredients might be rather random but together it tastes so good!) :

romaine lettuce
grilled chicken (one breast worth)
avocado (probably 1/4)
chopped apple slices (1/4 of an apple I would guess)
matchstick carrots (a lot haha)
red onion

and herb vinaigrette (probably about 2 tbsp worth)

so granted this is a pretty large salad - AROUND how many calories would you estimate it to be??? thanks in advance i REALLY appreciate it!!!!! :)

OR i will make this easier: do you think it is less than 500 calories? that's all i really want to know.

i mean it is from a restaurant i don't know how much they use of everything! i just know the salad is pretty substantial. or it's like an entree that you would get at any other restaurant i dont know! stupid question i guess

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    How much chicken? How much avocado? How much apple? How much onion? What brand of vinaigrette? (How much exactly did you use?

You see where I'm going with this?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    weigh it and enter it into MFP and you'll find out. Without the weights it could be anything
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Could be 300-ish, could be 1000+. Depends on how much of these ingredients you use.
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    build it in the food tracker using amounts. only way to know.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Example:
    Guess how many calories
    iEtwWcy.jpg?1

Actual amount:
    4 oz chicken breast-110 calories
    150g of Yams (baked, no oil)- 174 calories
    100g of lettuce-15 calories
    50 g of cucumber- 10 calories
    12 grape tomatoes (3 oz)- 25 calories
    33g Catalina dressing (not pictured)- 90 calories

Total: 424 calories

Without actual amounts, however, the best anyone could do is eyeball this and probably be wrong.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I had a salad from Panera yesterday that had chicken and avocado. It was 650 calories.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Seems like you want someone else to punch those ingredients into the calorie count website you're posting this on. If you think you'll make this a lot, make it a recipe under the food tab and it'll be handy to add. But if you are too lazy to enter these foods yourself, I'm afraid losing weight may be too much work for you.
  • spookiefox
    Options
    Example:
    Guess how many calories
    iEtwWcy.jpg?1

Actual amount:

Without actual amounts, however, the best anyone could do is eyeball this and probably be wrong.

Mmmm....baked yams in a salad. Never would have thought of it and it sounds good! Yum. Thanks!
  • spookiefox
    Options
    Tonight I am planning on getting a BIG yummy salad for dinner :) it's a "build your own" type of thing so here is what I am thinking.. (the ingredients might be rather random but together it tastes so good!) :

romaine lettuce
    grilled chicken (one breast worth)
    avocado (probably 1/4)
    chopped apple slices (1/4 of an apple I would guess)
    matchstick carrots (a lot haha)
    red onion

and herb vinaigrette (probably about 2 tbsp worth)

so granted this is a pretty large salad - AROUND how many calories would you estimate it to be??? thanks in advance i REALLY appreciate it!!!!! :)

OR i will make this easier: do you think it is less than 500 calories? that's all i really want to know.

i mean it is from a restaurant i don't know how much they use of everything! i just know the salad is pretty substantial. or it's like an entree that you would get at any other restaurant i dont know! stupid question i guess

I'll go out on a limb here and say I'm pretty sure more than 500, if that is all you really want to know.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Example:
    Guess how many calories
    iEtwWcy.jpg?1

Actual amount:

Mmmm....baked yams in a salad. Never would have thought of it and it sounds good! Yum. Thanks!

It's amazing. I sprinkle a little paprika on them before I bake them, so it gives the salad a nice crunchy sweet heat. Really gives the usual chicken salad a little something worth enjoying.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the vinaigrette.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Check the restaurant's website - sometimes you can find out the nutritional value of their menu items. If you made it yourself, you would know for sure - with restaurants, you have a much higher chance of having "hidden" calories added to your meal.