Confused About Weight Loss

asallen7
asallen7 Posts: 301
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
OMG! I really, really think I'm not eating enough. But it feels like I'm eating too much! I have had more junk this week than ever. I ate 2 cookies and some ice cream (measured and under my cals). Now every day since I've been wanting junk! I've managed to stay away from it overall, but still could've made some better choices (especially today). I also had fried chicken this week. The scale is up 3 pounds. I've been working out hard and logging what I eat so there's no way I've gained 3 pounds. I've been drinking water so if its water weight it will go away by Monday's weigh in. Its really starting to get in my head. Don't want to all out binge! UGGGHHH!

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Don't worry. With eating the junk you probably had too much sodium, and are retaining water. Just do your best to stay on track for the next few days and things will even out. When you want something sweet, eat some berries. You'll be fine! :flowerforyou:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    if you weigh yourself more than once a wk it always goes up and down. i am addicted to the scale unfortunately and it varies about 3 lbs but by the end of my wk(i weigh in on wed) it is usually a loss. i find that the more junk i eat the more i want it. sugar has a tendency to give us sugar cravings so if you try to stay away from it it will help. berries or a banana witha little(tiny) squeeze of choc syrup on it does wonders or sugar free hot cocoa is good also. i stopped drinking diet soda and my cravings totally went away and i have a huge sweet tooth.
  • Thanks I will try that. I have been eating ice cream, klondike bars and hot dogs every night. Having a hard time stopping it.
  • asallen7
    Thanks. It probably is just sodium. Its looking a lot better today, maybe in another day or two I will see the loss that I should have for this week. You're also right about sugar. It only leads me to crave more of it. When i was keeping it low and controlled, I have very few cravings. I allowed myself to have a Vitamuffin which is a treat, but low cal and healthy. Looks like I need to get back to that.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    One thing to remember is: you are what you eat - unfortunately.... So, if you are feeding your body not so great foods, you can't realistically expect that you'll be seeing great numbers on the scale. Instead of hoping that your weight will decline (while eating these types of foods), take your eating habits in your hands and take control of what you're putting into your body. I know it's difficult, but once you get start and see the lbs fall off, that in of itself will be a motivator to stick with the better choices. GOOD LUCK!

PS - It ONLY takes 3 weeks to create/break a habit... So give it a go for 3 weeks :)
  • I was doing exactly what you were doing at first, keeping my calorie count to 1200 but still eating whatever I wanted. But this meant I was eating tons of carbs and fatty foods which didn't help me eliminate what was going into my system. And my weight did not budge.

Now since about one week I've been sticking to lots of fresh fruit, veggies, lean protein and practically no sugar (maybe one or two cookies once a week). If you are craving sweet try banana, it works, or even a spoon full of honey.

I still eat the things I like but I try to limit the carb intake to a minimum and have it for breakfast and a little for lunch as well. I've lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks since changing my eating habits. And it's true, at first it will be hell to stay away from junkfood, but after a couple of weeks you won't crave it anymore. In fact, you won't want it at all!

Hope this helps. Don't give up!! I nearly did :-)
  • asallen7
    If you look at the food diary, you will see that the majority of the time I am eating healthy foods. This has just been an off week. I see that my sleep habits play a major role in what I crave. I love eating healthy, but if i don't get enough sleep at night I crave junk. I was all set today to eat well, but got stuck at a family member's house. All they had to eat was fried catfish, french fries, and mac 'n cheese. I had catfish and mac 'n cheese. I am unsure of my actually caloric intake, but according to the site it was around 700 calories. I'm eating light for the rest of the day and watching my diet extra carefully this upcoming week. Thanks for all of your comments.
  • I cut myself off of junk food altogether three weeks ago. I've been doing fine and haven't craved junk food at all. And I mean AT ALL. I really think the more you eat it, the more you want it. Experiment with healthy snacks that are super tasty. If you like things like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, cut an apple in half and spread organic peanut butter over it. If you crave fast food french fries, for dinner cut up potatoes (and if you want, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc), drizzle a lil olive oil over it with salt and pepper, and throw it in the oven until crispy. MMM! These healthy changes usually require that you get inventive and put in the effort to cook. Fast food, junk food, and packaged or processed food in general contains a whole LOAD of ingredients that are incredibly bad for your body. Chemicals that preserve fat, as well as create it in the first place. The less of this crap you have, the better you will feel and look. And believe it or not (no one ever believes at first), you will not miss those things the longer you don't eat them at all. Then when or if you do have a junk food "treat" again, you will taste it waaaaay differently than you remember. Your body won't be used to those chemicals and artificial flavors anymore. Think about it. It's not so far out of an idea. :D

P.S. Organic is your friend
This discussion has been closed.