3500 calories to lose a pound

Options
Ok, please explain.

I need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound in a week. That is done with lowering calorie intake and exercize. What I would like to know is how to see how many I have burned for the week. Is there something on here that shows how far we have to go to meet our weekly goal?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose a pound a week just fill in all your info and set 1 lb weight loss. It will give you a budget to eat. That will be your deficit to lose. You don't just eat what ever you want and exercise off 3500 calories expecting to lose a pound.
  • Lexismamma
    Options
    I understand. I guess I was just wondering if there was a way to track it that way. For example if you go over your calories one day, then you would know what you need to make up for before the week is out.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    This site doesn't track weekly average calories eaten at least as far as I have found out so far. It does track how many minutes you have exercised and how many calories you have burned in the week though.

If you really want to track weekly averages it is fairly easy to do on a spreadsheet
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a way to track it but you can think of it like this - if you go over your calories by 200 one day, you need to have 100 "extra" calories left over for the next two days, or 50 over the next four days etc. You could keep a post it note by your computer, if that's how you enter your calories. Personally I just try to stay under my allotted calories every day (including an allowance for exercise calories, which I monitor with the BodyMedia arm band). Hope these ideas are helpful!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Ok, please explain.

I need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound in a week. That is done with lowering calorie intake and exercize. What I would like to know is how to see how many I have burned for the week. Is there something on here that shows how far we have to go to meet our weekly goal?

Just one quick point of clarification before I answer your question: you don't need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound in week; you need to eat 3500 fewer calories than you burn to lose a pound (over any period of time). Hope that makes sense and I'm guessing you already know that, but just in case...

As for your question, to see your net calories, you can go to the "Reports" and generate a report for "Net Calories" for the past 7 days. It doesn't give you a total (though the iPhone app does, if you have that), but you should be able to get an indication. Hope this helps!

[ETA] And your burn includes your BMR plus any exercise, just to be clear!!!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The phone app shows you a weekly calories and the main site enables you to create reports where you can track all sorts of details :-)
  • HayleyMcFadden
    Options
    If you use the mobile app on the summary page that opens up you can have a look at daily and weekly calories. The weekly calories option shows you a break down on a bar chart to let you know how many calories under you are for the week.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This site doesn't track weekly average calories eaten at least as far as I have found out so far. It does track how many minutes you have exercised and how many calories you have burned in the week though.

If you really want to track weekly averages it is fairly easy to do on a spreadsheet

The website doesn't, but the app does.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    The android app shows it as well. I know someone mentioned iPhone, so try doing it that way (through a mobile phone app)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports
    Choose "net calories" from the drop-down. The red line shows your daily net calorie goal. That should give you something close-ish to what you're looking for. You can also choose "calories" if you want to see the total consumed without counting exercise logged.

ETA: tl;dr thread. Sorry for repeating what someone else already answered.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports
    Choose "net calories" from the drop-down. The red line shows your daily net calorie goal. That should give you something close-ish to what you're looking for. You can also choose "calories" if you want to see the total consumed without counting exercise logged.

ETA: tl;dr thread. Sorry for repeating what someone else already answered.

How dare you?!? :mad:

Totally kidding... certainly no need to apologize (not to me, anyway)! :flowerforyou: