Tacos

Options
2»

Replies

• arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention- after about 45 minutes take the lid off and turn up the heat a bit to get rid of the excess liquid so your meat isn't too wet...

....... trying. to. resist.....
  • Tomtomtomfitz
    Tomtomtomfitz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    saving for recipes! sounds good right now...
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    We make a lot of tex-mex-esque food. Generally it's chicken, pork or beef with whatever combo of the following ingredients we have that feels right. I'll either saute it all for quick assembly or set stuff up in the slow cooker and come home to a house smelling of awesome.

Wet ingredients: Salsa (red or green), tomato paste, tequila and lime juice, beer, Italian dressing (trust me it works) or oil, peppers, chicken broth or water and bouillon

Dry seasonings: Coriander, cumin, chili powder, ground cayenne pepper, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, or even taco seasoning

Other add-ons: diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, cheese, sour cream, pickled jalapenos and avocado

The chili powder and taco seasoning are usually used in place of plain salt.

My current favorite is putting seasoned chicken in the slow cooker with corn, black beans, at least one cup of salsa and 1/4 cup Italian dressing and enough liquids to cover them up, then draining and wrapping that filling up with diced fresh tomatoes, sour cream and pickled jalapenos in a flour tortilla and baking that at 350 for 20 minutes.

Some day I want to learn the authentic ways to cook all of this stuff, but the "throw stuff in a pot/skillet" method tastes great.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    im getting chipotle tonight
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention- after about 45 minutes take the lid off and turn up the heat a bit to get rid of the excess liquid so your meat isn't too wet...

....... trying. to. resist.....

:laugh: keep it clean :tongue:
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just here to show my new favorite thing for Taco night in my house: Homemade baked taco shells!

taco_shell_baking_mj07_310.jpg?1287672927

"Working with 6 tortillas at a time, wrap in a barely damp cloth or paper towel and microwave on High until steamed, about 30 seconds. Lay the tortillas on a clean work surface and coat both sides with cooking spray. Then carefully drape each tortilla over two bars of the oven rack. Bake at 375°F until crispy, 7 to 10 minutes."

From http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/healthy_cooking_101/kitchen_tips_techniques/make_your_own_baked_taco_shells

Using 6 inch yellow corn tortillas, these are about 60-65 calories per shell (With canola oil cooking spray) as opposed to the 110-120 calories per deep fried taco shell. I used to fry my shells in a vat of canola oil until I saw how it more than doubled the calorie count, and I didn't want to give up my crunchy taco shells!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Easy taco bowls - no need to buy the "as seen on TV" thingies. Just use an "upside down" muffin tin.

http://lifehacker.com/5885277/make-your-own-taco-bowls-by-flipping-over-a-muffin-tin

A 6 cup muffin tin (the kind that makes extra large muffins) .... works great for an 8" tortilla
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I want tacos now. :ohwell:
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Baja style fish is the way to go. Too many good memories of surfing South of the Border many decades ago....

20130717-fish-tacos-1.jpg
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Another member had referred to " amazing homemade chorizo sweet potato fry bread tacos" in the MFP bullies thread that was locked, so I sent her a message and asked her to come here and give us the recipe! I have to have tocos now!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Haha, I saw the taco thread and clicked before I noticed the message :) I don't have my chorizo recipe memorized, but when I get home later tonight or tomorrow I'll post it. Everyone should eat tacos!
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
  • usteward
    usteward Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options

HAHAHA THE BEST! EVER....
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Haha, I saw the taco thread and clicked before I noticed the message :) I don't have my chorizo recipe memorized, but when I get home later tonight or tomorrow I'll post it. Everyone should eat tacos!

Thank you, it is a must have now :)
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    bmp
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    mmmm I had tacos for dinner :heart:
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm. TACOS !