protien powder shakes??

Options
2»

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Most of my research has found ON to be a pretty good protein too. But maybe I missed something. ON is also made in the USA from USA products which I also liked. I'm sure there are many other good ones out there as well, but it seemed for the money that ON offered the best quality product (not the best, but near the top for a reasonable price). Last 5 lb tub I got was $45 with free shipping, pretty hard to beat that.

I agree with the statement above, most of your calories should be from real foods that have fiber and nutrients and just supplement for extra protein with the powder. I know some people have 4 or 5 shakes a day and that just seems excessive as well as probably missing out on a lot of fiber, vitamins, nutrients, etc.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I've been using the MyProtein protein shakes as a supplement - it's sugar-free (the Impact Whey which get, anyway) and you can get unflavoured to add to almost anything (I add the banoffee one to greek yoghurt which makes an amazing breakfast with banana...). Pretty affordable compared to most protein shakes, imo. It's not a meal replacement, though, so you'll need to add in some veggies etc to make up the difference.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My question is why do you need a meal replacement? I'm here because I enjoy food, so I'd rather not replace meals with drinks.. you can lose weight eating delicious food.

I do use Optimum Nutrition as a protein shake as a supplement for when I'm unable to get sufficient protein through food alone. It's not a meal replacement though. I'd really prefer to eat my calories when possible.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Lots of people need something as a meal replacement rather than skip a meal. Lots of people would rather skip a meal than use a replacement. Me, I'm not skipping any, so if I need to use a shake, its on. Someone mentioned Walker Shake - In all my years on this earth, using protein shakes and meal replacements, Walkers is the worst I have ever tasted in my life. Someone mentioned making their own protein bars - so do I, its so much better than buying them cause they cost too much.
  • life_wontwait
    life_wontwait Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One thing I'll add that I didn't see mentioned (apologies if I missed it), if you're mixing your protein with stuff, whey is fine, if you're just going straight protein drink and want it as a replacement, you might want to go with a slower digesting protein like casein.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've bounced between Optimum Nutrition (loads of flavors to choose from omg), iForce (basic flavors), and currently working my way through a tub of Myofusion (this one is gluten free!). They all work the same to me as far as I can tell, and the flavors I've tried so far taste fan-freaking-tastic!

If I plan on making my smoothie the main part of a meal, I blend 1 or 2 scoops with 1 cup of almond milk, 1 1/2 cups of raw spinach, some ice cubes, and whatever fruits I have lying around. I find bananas blend really well. Also, spinach and blueberries make a tasty smoothie, albeit a really gross-looking one haha! If I'm just having it as a drink with a full meal, I just shake 1 scoop of powder with 1 to 1 1/2 cups of almond milk. Comes out gritty this way sometimes, but whatever. I ain't picky about that lol.
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I haven't been using premade protein shakes or mixes. I do my own thing. Here is my recipe and I have been consistently losing weight: 3 ice cubes, 1/2 ripe banana, handful spinach, 1 tbsp all natural peanut butter, 1 tblspn or less cocoa powder, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk. I use my blender to crush the ice and get it to a nice chocolate drink. The ripe banana is sufficient in sweetening this.
    Low in sugar and high in protein.
    SometimesI do not need the peanut butter especially if I am having a boiled egg with it. This is what I have been drinking almost every morning. And you cannot taste the spinach.

Some poeple add honey or yogurt for added sweetness or protein.

I do not know if this will help anyone in making healthy choices, but here it is. Anyway a lot of those premade mixes have too many chemicals listed and I try to stay away from all that.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have tried shakeology, slim fast, Jillian Micheals, visalus and a # of others.............by far my favorite and nutrition wise for the price is IdealShape, I really think I like the chocolate best, but have tried both choc and vanilla. of course vanilla is easier to blend w/ fruits and veggies if thats they way you want to go tho! good luck! there are so many out there to choose from it gets confusing!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Basically as everyone is saying, it's all about macros and what you're trying to accomplish. Plug the nutritional facts into your food diary and determine if it addresses what you want.

I do the raw organic thing.... They have both meal replacement and protein. I use protein because I struggle to reach my daily goals through my diet. http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Foundational-Nutrition/RAW-Protein.aspx
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Lots of people need something as a meal replacement rather than skip a meal.
    What's wrong with skipping a meal?
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    For me, skipping a meal means I get really hungry and then I eat a bunch of garbage later because I'm starving. So I try to make it a habit to eat 4-5 times a day while staying within my daily calorie range. That way I'm never hungry and don't gorge later on.
  • bbudyn
    Options
    "since they own the facilities where the whey is produced and control 100% of the process"

This isn't necessarily a good thing. You don't know what happens behind closed doors. After all everyone is trying to make money somewhere by cutting corners.

"Yes, it has sucralose and coffee creamer as some of the ingredients"

I personally do not recommend any artificial sweeteners as artificially sweetened products may cause us to eat and drink even more calories and increase our risk for obesity and Type 2 diabetes. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/artificial-sweeteners-tied-to-obesity-type-2-diabetes-1.1352987
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm a Body Fortress whey protein powder user. I need to supplement my protein intake, I just don't quite hit my protein goals otherwise. I don't use it as a meal replacement but in conjunction with a meal. I also use it after workouts often.
  • SusanDugas
    SusanDugas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I prefer eating veggies to eating meats, so I had to find a way to boost my protein, too. For my green smoothies (YUM) I use Unjury at 90 cals and 21 grams of protein, unflavored whey protein isolate: http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/. They also make a chicken soup flavored one that I have not tried. Not sure what I would use it in, can't cook it into a soup!

For the sweeter fruit smoothies, I use BioChem Sports sugar free vanilla, also 90 cals and 20 grams of protein! http://www.biochem-fitness.com/biochem-products-productdetails.php?product_id=551&proteinpowders
  • bieberfever27
    Options
    I have whey and casein protein every day. My favorite whey proteins are About Time's Cinnamon Swirl, About Time's Birthday Cake, Vegasport's Dairy Free Chocolate (for dairy intolerant), and Vanilla Paleomeal. I have High Five Chocolate Casein protein and Optimum Nutrition Cookies and Cream Casein and they are both delicious. When I make a shake, I normally put 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a banana, cinnamon, ice, flaxseed, spinach, my powder, and sometimes berries. Delicous:) And the flavored protein powders are healthy, some of mine that are flavored don't have any sugar it just makes it taste better.
  • HeatherSanford3
    HeatherSanford3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you want to do protein shakes, the best out there is Isagenix. Its natural, organic, gluten and soy free there is a dairy free/vegan. It gives your body the nutrients it needs, helps you build lean muscle to lose weight. Message me for more details. It also doesnt have the heavy metals most of the other shakes have.