What kind of skincare do you use?

Options
I'm looking for a new skincare routine because right now I just use random products. I'm currently using Noxema for washing my face and I rarely use a moisturizer because I have oily skin. But I'm starting to realize that I need to start using an anti-aging skincare line. I would really like to start a routine with a wash, moisturizer, and maybe some kind of serum for fine lines. I don't really have noticeable lines right now, so this is more of a preventative thing. Oh, and I do still get monthly breakouts too.

So what would you recommend that you really love and have had great results from?

Replies

• gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use the Phytomer line. I know they have a line designed especially for maturing skin. It's a little more pricey than your drugstore products, but its been so worth it! I also use a Burts Bees, Anti Blemish Solutions pore refining Scrub with Willow Bark and for those pesky little breakouts, I use a cotton pad and swipe some Tea Tree Oil over my face a few times a week (I swear by this stuff). Don't forget to use a toner to help re-balance the natural pH of your skin! I use a Rose Hydrosol.

I write a beauty blog away from this site trying out all kinds of new things, and these are the things that have made the biggest difference in my skin! Hopefully this helps!
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    neutrogena ageless intensives line is awesome.. the moisturizers contain retinol sa which is marketed to help with fine lines.. but total bonus.. has completely cleared up my breakouts! its not cheap, but definately not as pricey as other anti-ageing products ive seen.

ps- good luck getting to your 165 goal.. because Urban Decay makeup palettes are amazing!! grab up the new NYC book of shadows before its sold out!! :smile:
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use the Mario Badescu line of products. It's a little more expensive then your drug store products, but not by much and I definitely do see great results with the products. If you order your products online they also send you all these free samples so that you can try different things. For example, their drying cream is amazing. My sister had this HUUUUGE pimple that hadn't come to a head or anything and was just a red mess, she applied the drying cream and within I'd say an hour it practically disappeared. Hope this helps.

Jenn
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Do you get Liz Earle in the US? I'm 35 and I started using that about 2 years ago and the difference in my skin is amazing. I've always had problem skin but using her cleanse and polish, skin tonic, superskin and concentrate has made such a big difference. Its not the cheapest but it smells divine and isn't as expensive as a lot of other products. Its all natural stuff too. She does a lot of try me kits and sells on QVC here too so you get their moneyback guarantee.
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    Never heard of Liz Earle, but I can look it up on the internet and check it out. Thanks for all the suggestions. Would love to hear more so I can read up on all of them and decide what is best for me. I know I am going to have to spend a bit more than what I used to because I just don't think a $4 jar of Noxema is going to cut it anymore. :-)
  • WhiskeyBravo
    Options
    Philiosphy's Purity is an awesome face wash---it removes make-up and is a moisturizer ( oily skin or not, everyone needs to restore balance in their skin) You can get it at Sephora ( I order online because I end up buying too much stuff when I go into tthe store) and I also use Mary Kay --I used to think it was a bunch of hype, until I started using it and the foks at my job were noticing how much better my skin looked... I didn't really noticeduntil I looked back at some of my old photos and then I was like daaaaaamn I'm fine :)
    good luck sister!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I need this info too! I have really oily skin, so I don't moisturize, because the minute I do, I break out. But NOW I'm getting my dad's forehead creases....so I need to moisturize. I've tried Oil of Olay's night cream. It works great on the wrinkles, but after a week....here come the blemishes.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I use Beauticontrol's line of skincare... I love it! :) You have to buy from a consultant but they can usually let you try out a trial size first to see if you like it. If you are interested in trying it and can't find a consultant near you, send me a message and I can try to find one for you or get some samples to you. :)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Mary Kay! Been using it since I was 10 years old (cleanser, moisturizer & freshner then)...including all the makeup & beauty products now. I've noticed that if I skip a couple of days, I can sure tell it! Check it out the website & you can get your local rep to do a facial for you & recommend products. Can be a little expensive to begin with, unless you slowly add the products into your routine.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use tried and true Mary Kay products LOL. They work excellent. I use the facial cleanser, moisturizer, night serum, and day cream. I also have the MK microdermabrasion cream and moisturizer. I used to sell MK about 3 yrs ago, but I still love to use their products. They can be a bit on the expensive side, unless you know someone who is a rep and can get them for you at a discount. But if you want something to use on the go, Clean and Clear makes a morning burst face wash that is great too and you can get that any grocery or drug store. We have to take care of our skin now while we are young!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I just use random stuff too, but you should always use a moisturizer after washing your face, even with oily skin. When you do that, you face doesn't need to produce as much oil to moisturize itself, so you skin won't fluctuate wildly between dry right after you wash your face and really oily a few hours later.
    And if you're interested in Fit4Vet's suggestion, I used to be a Mary Kay lady and still have product for cheap I'm trying to get rid of. (Turn's out I'm horrible at selling stuff unless it tastes good...)
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Olay total effects, the deep penetrating moisture one for all over body care. So far so good. It's been a little over a week and no extra oil on the face. Skin feels softer and not so dry. I was using Mary Kay but was starting to break out. Also use the Sephora. Love the Bare Mineral makeup. I use anything else and here come the breakouts!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I am a confessed beauty product junkie!! I absolutely love the Chanel line of products. Everything from make-up to skincare is incredible. Of course with a shift in careers and not making the money I used to I am very happy with the Avon Anew products. Their skincare line is great... I am not a huge fan of the make-up. My grandmother used the original Oil of Olay and she ALWAYS looked great! Sometimes, I use it at night and like it.

I use Bare Minerals as my everyday "foundation" -- Its great, doesn't smear, rub off, and is fine even when working out. I am also a big fan of Benefit Cosmetics and Dr. Feelgood is a great alternative to foundation and it lasts forever!

For cleansing I use the Aveeno Radiant pads daily... I like them for convenience and they are disposable. Twice a week I use the Aveeno exfoliant scrub.
  • dgilner
    dgilner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    MARY KAY, MARY KAY, MARY KAY!! I tried them before and wasn't sold but I swear they must have revamped their line. It is amazing. I signed up to sell it just so I could get the discount - (I dont' recruit or do parties - I just do it for the disc!). If you can afford to do it - find a local rep and sign up under her. You will save money in the long run and it isnt much investment.

My face responds well to a consistent routine. So - what ever you decide - just do it consistently and you will see the difference!
    Good luck! Love the post - I enjoy reading about other people's favorite tested beauty products for sure!!
  • kristenskinner
    Options
    One of the main things that a lot of women forget or neglect to do is wash their face before they go to bed. Sleeping with leftover makeup on your face is a killer for your skin. I use Neutrogena Facial Wash at night plus Neutrogena Face Cream. In the morning I exfoliate every second day using Plantogen Exfoliant and a soft sponge. Daily I use Nuetrogena Radiance Boost for dark circles under my eyes and Neutrogena Healthy Defense Face Cream with SPF 45. For my body I use Vaseline Intensive Rescue Extra Strength for Sensitive Skin.
    I too feel compelled to be pro-active with my skin care regimen in order to combat problems that come with age. I also work hard to brush my teeth three times a day and floss at least once, sometimes twice. I wasn't aware that people who didn't floss were 70% more likely to develop heart disease because the bacteria from your gums enters your bloodstream. Freaky stuff!
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I will definately check these products out.

@kristen- One of the things I struggle with is moisturizing my body after I shower. And I like really hot showers which I know is not good for your skin. I will have to work on this as well.
    I didn't know that about flossing! Good thing I make a habit of doing that!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    :wink: Mary Kay. I am sold on it. Also here is something i didn't know. You should only use undereye moisturizure for the eye area instead of facial moisturizure. Facial moisturizer used under the eye are will make them puffy. No one ever tells you this but it really makes a difference.
  • vkpmusic
    Options
    This has been informative for me too. Mary Kay makes me break out. Has anyone tried Aveno?
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    I have somewhat sensitive skin, so I've tried a lot of products. Sometimes expensive ones that get tossed after just a few uses. :mad: Any thing to perfumey makes me break out. I've never been able to wear bangs, because hair products make my forhead break out.

I really love Grateful Body Organic Skin Care. Their soaps are lovely, the moisturizers are light weight. Their Clear Skin spray is great at that TOM when I usually break out. They do have a product called Oil Embargo tha might be good for you.

http://www.gratefulbody.com/default.asp
  • vkpmusic
    Options
    Thanks for the link!