Whole 30 Starting September 24th, 2013

Options
Hi, I'm wanting to form a new group for people willing to do the Whole30 (W30) program with me from 9/24 to 10/23 (or longer). I just got done with the Whole 30 and really liked it. My wife thought it was too restrictive, but then as she saw me eating every day she was like, "you can eat that?" - anyway - it was very good. I lost about 13 pounds.

Please friend me - I need 3 other people who are willing in order to start the group. Many thanks,

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Can I eat pasta, cheese, and ice cream?

No?

Then no.
  • Hayaa79
    Hayaa79 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    what is whole 30???
  • x_Redeemed_x
    Options
    Based on the book, "It Starts with Food". Essentially paleo diet - with some small changes ...
    http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/
  • shaunaruiz
    shaunaruiz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just started my whole 30, today is the end of day 4. I would love to have some whole 30 friends on here :)
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!!
  • x_Redeemed_x
    Options
    Okay - maybe we will just have this thread and not a group.. I can't find a lot of people doing whole 30, but it may help for us all to post recipes, etc. Hope it's going well. I finished whole30 last week and would like to do it again. It was great!
  • x_Redeemed_x
    Options
    Thanks, we will keep posting in this thread, maybe we will find more users?
  • fcatalina76
    Options
    I am on day 4 of Whole 30. My Crossfit box is doing this nutrition challenge. My boyfriend is also doing it with me, along with a couple of coworkers and friends. Food preparation is key. Breakfast casseroles will save you time. Also, cauliflower "rice" is a lifesaver! My boyfriend couldn't fathom giving up rice, so we found a recipe for cauliflower "rice" and it is AMAZING! The recipe is below. What helped me is planning my food a week before I started the challenge. I looked up recipes, went on Pinterest, and also bought a Paleo cookbook. The challenge sounds restrictive, but you will be surprised at how much you are eating throughout the day. My boyfriend is loving how he can be creative with cooking and it's fun trying to find an alternate food from what you are use to eating. I also found that reading everything I could about sugar and watching documentaries really helped me not to want sugar. I do recommend watching "Hungry for Change" on Netflix. It is an eye opener. Good luck with the 30 day challenge! You can do it! I can't say it enough but FOOD PREP IS KEY!!

Cauliflower Rice
    1/2 head of cauliflower
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    1/2 yellow onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Rinse cauliflower and break away from main stem in large chunks.
    2. Using a cheese grater, grate the cauliflower to a coarse texture(approximately the size of rice grains). You can use a food processor too, just pulse it until you get the right texture.
    3. Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
    4. Saute the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is relatively translucent.
    5. Add in the cauliflower rice and continue to saute for 4-5 minutes.
    6. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
    **Serves 2
    **You can modify this recipe to your liking.
  • x_Redeemed_x
    Options
    Thank you for this recipe. I did W30 in August and it was great. I lost 15 lbs, but even adding back dairy and some grains, I've still lost 5 more.

The cooking and food prep did take a lot of time. The sweet potato breakfast hash was a life saver, along with my favorite lunch, which was great in a time crunch

Deli Turkey Tacos:
    Lay out 6 pieces of Deli Turkey in a two stacks of 3 slices (no sugar, no nitrate) - about 3 oz each stack

Then on each:
    One tablespoon of guacamole spread out
    1/2 handful of cashews
    heaping tablespoon(s) of pico de gallo
    baby spinach
    Optional organic pastured bacon
    Optional hot peppers, green peppers, salad peppers
    Optional wrap the whole thing in a big leaf of romaine lettuce

I would fold or roll these up and eat like a wrap.

My wife was like - "Can you eat that????" - Yep!
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm semi doing it right now, and I will start in earnest on Oct 1 with my daughter. I have been counting calories with MFP. Will you continue to count calories? I'd love to be part of a group if we can get one going.
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Google it. It is from the book It Starts with Food. It's a bit primal, but with fruit. No dairy or grains at all.
  • SpiritedAway84
    Options
    I have attempted it twice, but never made it past 2 weeks. I have been wanting to try it again, especially since "complete the whole 30" is on my list of things to do before I turn 30. I definitely notice an amazing difference in the way I feel when I eat according to their rules. It's amazing. I am hoping to start again on Oct 1st. :)
  • x_Redeemed_x
    Options
    I'm in for October 1st - I have started by eliminating most grains now and sugar now - and then will get strict 30 on Oct 1. What are your goals? Mine is to lose weight, but some of that is so that I can not have joint pain. I'm also worried that If I do not change I will get Type II diabetes - my father-in-law has it and once you lose your health, it's really difficult to get it back. I don't want to hit this tipping point.
  • SpiritedAway84
    Options
    The first and most important goal to completing the Whole30 is to change the way I view food so that I can change my emotional eating habits. Second, I struggle with headaches, dizziness, light-headedness, lack of energy...even when I was trying to eat better and in the gym 3 times a week, I still wasn't seeing as much progress as I wanted. I think I have some food sensitivities and I am hoping to become more aware of those. Third, I would really like to lose some weight and be in better overall shape.
  • x_Redeemed_x
    Options
    Okay - last weigh in is 226.8. The goal? Eat really healthy for 30 days and see what happens. Also, cardio weights lifting 3x week and walking 3x week = that's about 25 workouts this month. Hoping to get healthy, feel better, and lose some lbs.

- Breakfast: Veggie/Pico/Guac omelet
    - Lunch - Turkey wraps - I'm thinking my 0g sugar deli turkey might have sugar in it - if it does - I will go to Oct 31
    - Dinner - TBD
  • SpiritedAway84
    Options
    I had egg cups with spinach and prosciutto for breakfast, apples with almond butter, carrots, and sea snax (seaweed) for lunch, an uncured grass fed beef hot dog on a Japanese sweet potato bun with roasted bell peppers for dinner :) I packed tuna for lunch but it didn't seem appetizing so I ate the other stuff.

I plan to work out at least 3 times a week....but probably not too much this week, because I know days 3 and 4 are going to be really rough for me.

Edit** Oh and I weighed myself today for a baseline and I was 154. I don't plan to weigh myself again until my 30 days are up.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I did it about 2 years ago, it went pretty well.
    I learned to plan ahead after the one time I was stuck for food and tried to eat an unripe avocado. It was baaaaad. :)
  • gutsnglory9
    Options
    I'm starting tomorrow. I'm in need of hitting the reset button on my food choices. Trying to focus on lots and lots of veggies and not too much meat.

And full disclosure, I am taking the (Canadian) Thanksgiving long weekend off. While I'll continue to think about food choices, there is no way I can make it fit with my current plans.

Just made a big taco salad by cooking bison with red chiles, onion and salsa verde. Chilled and added to to a bowl of raw red onion, tomatoes, cilantro, olives, mixed greens, avocado, red pepper and lime juice. Already looking forward to lunch.
  • Bubble105
    Bubble105 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started on the 1st and I'm feeling pretty rough at the moment... Does anyone else have NO energy at all? I keep nodding off in front of my screen at work! Maybe I'm just a bit rubbish at meal-planning :s
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Google "carb flu", it's a common symptom --- you'll get through it!