Is banana bad for you if you're trying to lose weight?

Options
I have been on a low carb diet and low calorie diet like i keep it balanced so i avoid eating too much carbs. I heard banana has carbs and i love bananas. So i should avoid them?

Replies

• calx77
    calx77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're on low carb, you don't want to be eating Bananas since they're one of the highest in sugar.

But they're really good for you, so maybe just eat half every now and again...
  • Christo516
    Options
    Bananas are not bad for you. They have potasium and are good for you if eaten at the right time. (right after a workout) They are however high in natrual sugars which translate to empty carbs that might turn into fat. So basically have your banana after you do your workout and your good to go.
  • deathtaco
    Options
    No food is 'bad' for you. If you want a banana, and it fits within your goals, then eat one. Meal timing is largely irrelevant, so don't worry about pre, post workout consumption or prior to bed.

My suggestion is read up on nutrition, as this website likes to promote pseudoscience and buzzwords that really have no substance to them. There is no such thing as an 'empty' calorie.
  • Christo516
    Options
    I clearly wrote that bananas are NOT bad for you. As for your thoughts on pre- and post-workouts, you obviously dont know very much about training hard. After a hard workout your body needs to up its glucose and protein levels for optimum repair of muscle tissue breakdown. So only trying to help this person, I suggested that the best time to eat the banana would be AFTER a workout. Not sure why someone else (that I was not responding to) would feel the need to rip my response apart. Some folks just have something negative to say about everything.
  • deathtaco
    Options
    I wasn't ripping anything apart, nor being negative, I was simply stating a counter to your post. I said nothing negative about you, your post or your training/diet.

You on the other hand, stated that I am not knowledgeable, don't train hard and am being negative.

The immediate post workout 'window' is an outdated view, it's closer to a 24 hour period. [Most] People on this site should not stress about about meal timing and eating things like bananas due to their micro nutrient content and sugar type. Simply fitting it into their allotted calorie goals for the day, whenever they want it, is a much approach to weight loss and health.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No, a banana is not bad for you if you're trying to lose weight.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I love bananas
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Bananas are only bad for you if you get it lodged in there sideways...

So i hear. Butt definitely eat them. Potassium and stuff.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can buy `baby bananas` if you want to try to limit how much banana you eat. Or you can slice a large banana in half leaving it in its skin and it will stay fresh.

So you could eat half in the morning and half later in the day.

They certainly are not bad for you. Quite the contrary.

Enjoy your banana :smile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Make sure you've chosen a good setup for your macros.

Personally, I'd definitely set a protein goal, consider the same for fat and fill the rest with whatever I wanted, when on a deficit.

So, after hitting them it'd just be a case of having the calories free, for me.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good... No food is "bad".
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have lost 300+lbs. eating atleast 1 banana a day so I am going to say no as long as you are hitting your caloric intake and leaving a slight deficit then you should be able to lose weight.... Best of Luck and speaking of Banana's <walks away to go get I Banana!> :glasses:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I think you might want to read the blog series on nutrition, especially the section on carbs and micronutrients. Then you can make a more informed decision. Carbs are not bad for you, they provide the energy your body needs so you don't lose LBM. My trainer is also a dietician and has suggested a banana after a workout.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

You love bananas. Especially gas station bananas.
  • susanhope3532
    Options
    I've lost 7 stone and I eat at least two bananas a day, they're filling and low in calories. I haven't taken much notice of carbs and sugars to be honest. I just fill up on healthy stuff which means loads of veg, salad and fruit. It's processed crap you want to be avoiding not natural food.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I love all things banana.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Carmen Miranda agrees that bananas are good for you...

carmen-miranda1.jpg

tumblr_lm0akblRon1qc6qvto1_500.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

You love bananas. Especially gas station bananas.

Gas station bananas are the best!!

Yes!!!!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good... No food is "bad".
    Gooseberries.