Why you gain weight if you eat more than your cut

Options

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I feel like I lost some brain cells reading that.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Bump to research a bit more.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    tag for later reading
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This might be just me but I've experienced this every time I've decided to let lose a a little (holidays etc) and it's so frustrating. All the weight that instantly reappears seems to go straight onto my belly which is usually relatively flat. I think it actually appears worse when I'm slimmer than when I was a bit bigger. It really gets me down only being able to have a flat stomach if I don't ever eat too much. I am guessing if I lost 5lbs the same thing would probably happen but I don't know and I don't really want to lose any more weight.

I guess my question is if glycogen and corresponding water weight is distributed differently than fat weigh?

If it's not then I guess I just need to lose that 5lbs of fat from my belly to make room for the water?

I'd guess this increase in the belly is bloating and undigested food. I like to call it "food baby".
  • Spartan_1_1_7
    Spartan_1_1_7 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    giant thumbs up
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add except that when I first saw the thread title I had some lint in my eye and I thought the title was "Why you gain weight if you eat more than your cat" and all I could think was "WTF???"

Now I'm picturing the "don't eat more than your cat" diet sweeping MFP.

Coming soon: debates over dry vs canned, Purina vs Sheba....
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I really appreciate this post. If you work hard to get to a goal weight, you want to consistently see that goal weight if you are eating maintenance. Of course there will always be fluctuations, but i want my fluctuations to be hovering around my goal weight, not consistently 5 pounds (at least) above.

Question: is the 5 pounds a standard number for most people or is there a relationship to body weight?
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...and to share with a few friends
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    This is so true. I wish I knew then what I know now!
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. This is a great explanation and really rings true with me. Each week I have my "Friday Morning Weight" and my "Monday Morning Weight" since I tend to be more strict during the week. I always compare Fridays to Fridays and Mondays to Mondays when tracking my weight and try not freak out when I jump on the scale each Monday morning knowing that I'll shed those pounds as long as I go jogging and watch my calories.
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This is a re-post because with this new forum section for maintaining weight, I thought I'd like to share what I've come to learn. This has been posted in the main forums as well as in the Eat More to Weigh Less group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut

ORIGINAL POST:

I answered someone in another topic and it was suggested to me that I give my response its own thread. It seems this is new information for a lot of people and it could potentially relieve a lot of anxiety about weight gain when increasing calories. So for anyone who thinks, "But 1700 calories IS my maintenance amount!" Or, "I must just have a really slow metabolism because when I go over 1200 I gain." ... this post is for you.

The reason most people think they have to eat so little to maintain their weight is because our bodies naturally store glycogen and water in our muscles. This is the body's ready energy. When you eat at a caloric deficit, the glycogen stores (and the water molecules they must bind to in the cells) are shed first. That's why you get a big loss the first week of any diet. You just depleted your glycogen stores and now the body has no choice but to resort to fat in a continued caloric deficit.

So you keep up your deficit and your body is burning both glucose from the food you're eating and fat from your body (and some lean mass because you're in a deficit and that will just happen anyway) and you finally get to a weight you like. So you increase your calories to stop losing...

Or, you just decide to ditch the caloric deficit for a weekend of eating without discretion...

Or Christmas rolls around or you go on vacation and you eat to satisfaction and maybe a touch more...

... and you find you almost instantly put on 5 lbs.

All that has happened is your body has restored its glycogen stores and the water that glycogen must be stored with. In fact, trained endurance athletes will deliberately store extra glycogen by carb-loading before major events in order to have more energy for sustained effort. The body will, under perfect conditions, store this energy for use. It's part of being human.

So suppose you want to maintain your weight at 125 lbs. You diet down to 125 and then think, "Awesome! I will diligently increase my calories to maintenance." So you were eating 1700 calories/day to lose and you increase to 2000 calories daily... and after 1 week you've put on 1.5 lbs... so you cut back down to 1800 and your weight stays the same but now you're at 126.5... but you want to be 125lbs, so now you're just pissed off. So you go back down to 1500 calories for a week and you get back down to 125lbs. Then you increase by only 100 calories/day for a week and your weight stays the same... so you do it again... and you stay the same. You think, "Yay! I'm maintaining!"... And any time you eat over 1800 calories daily you start to gain again.

Why?

Because your body just wants 5 lbs of glycogen stores. The solution? Cut down to 5 lbs under your target weight and then eat at maintenance. Your body will rebound up to a healthy non-glycogen-depleted state and you'll be able to maintain relatively effortlessly and eat more food.

Tag for later reading.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump for further references.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Good to know since I'm apx 8 lbs from maintenance....let's make that 13 lbs.
  • AnotherOrangeCat
    Options
    Great info, thank you. This seems to be the last missing piece for me, now it all makes sense. All those mysterious 3lb gains from one "wrong" meal.
  • dmanson2
    dmanson2 Posts: 134
    Options
    Great post. Time to share this!
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bump