Cocont Oil

Options
2»

Replies

• improvemyself4myhealth
    Options
    I love coconut oil. I introduced it to my diet about 2 years ago. I use it as a cooking oil, on skin and hair, in my coffee and to make "coco crack" which is melted coconut oil, cocoa powder and sweetener of your choice frozen to make "chocolate". I like it and I follow a mostly low carb/high fat diet.
    I notice it gives me energy in the morning and it taste wonderful on steak, salmon, tilapia, green beans, shrimp. If you are using it, I would stick with the unrefined raw vigin coconut oil. I don't think the refined high heat version has the same "benefits".
    Eggs however- do not taste so good cooked in it. :)

I just recently started using it. I can't say I have or haven't noticed a difference yet, except when I apply it topically to my scalp. It has shown a major improvement. I have tried using the coconut oil to cook my chicken in and it is fantastic! Maybe I will try it with shrimp next. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Does coconut oil actually come in liquid form? I was looking for some the other day and all I found was solid.

It depends where you live. In my kitchen, coconut oil is liquid 11 months of the year. It's just started getting a few wisps of white color in it, from being a totally clear liquid all summer.

I cook with it, or put it in my hair. I don't think I'd like to drink it, and I think I get enough fat in my diet anyway that there's no need to add extra.
  • stpetegirl
    Options
    I use it to cook for my family. I have recently gone raw vegan, I will put a half tablespoon in my morning smoothie if I'm out of coconut butter. It's supposed to be great for the skin, and is supposed to help make you feel full longer. I also have a friend that actually puts a tablespoon in her morning coffee along with cream and swears by it!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Grew up in the Pacific. Coconut oil is commonly used. It's not any more magical or special than other good fats like evoo etc. It's definitely the latest fad in the western world.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is better for high heat applications, like sautéing ... Coconut oil is certainly much healthier than canola oil ...
    Says who?
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health

For an omega 3/6 balance, and a higher smoke point, it's hard to beat canola oil. Don't believe the hype.
  • PositiveBody
    PositiveBody Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have followed the evolution of coconut oil and it's uses over the last 10 years and use it on my skin as a moisturizer and protectant and also, consume 2 tablespoons daily (in cooking mostly) for brain health (alzheimers prevention). If you are interested in learning more about alzheimers prevention, just g@@gle Dr. Mary Newport, she is an amazing physician whose husband suffered from the disease. If anyone wants to discuss this wonderful tropical oil, please just message me.
  • amazon62goddess
    amazon62goddess Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil to my coffee or latte in the morning. It has helped greatly improve my digestion and my skin condition (at least to me!). It has benefits to brain and organs to keep them functioning nicely. I also use it as a moisturizer (it has so many uses!). I use it to cook foods: works well to replace things like vegetable oil in your cooking or baking. I rub it on typical dry areas such as elbows, lips, and heels...they're smooth as a baby now!

To get maximum benefits from coconut oil, you should use organic, extra virgin, cold-pressed variety! Good luck!
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Dont know about drinking it straight up. I wouldn't. But then I was stupid enough to try "oil pulling" because I saw a facebook post about it.
    Oil pulling is basically using oil like mouth wash, swishing it between your teeth. To whiten them and kill bacteria.
    It was disgusting, I fought gagging the whole time.
    I'll just stick with my listerine :)
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My husband eats a T or 2 of it everyday, as well as cooks with it and uses it topically. He loves it, says it has improved his skin, nails, and hair. He also believes the swishing he does with it in his mouth has improved his gums. He is 58 years old, very pumped, plays baseball two to three times a week all summer and through the fall (has three games this weekend - burrrrrrrr). And he is the pitcher (a very physically demanding position). By all of this, he is very healthy and fit.

I do believe that improvements in our hair and especially our skin do come from within. I don't find it disgusting at all, I just prefer to get me calories other ways.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have not really read much about coconut oil. Would you use it instead of olive oil when cooking? Or is olive oil just as good?

Choosing the best oil to cook with depends on what you're cooking - I tend to save my extra virgin olive oil for dressings as it has a relatively low smoke point (191 degrees Celsius) and fry with rice bran oil (254 degrees). Refined coconut oil also has a high smoke point (232 degrees), making it great for frying, while unrefined coconut oil (otherwise known as extra virgin) has a low smoke point (177 degrees).

And in case you don't know what smoke point means, this from Wiki:

In cooking, the smoke point of an oil or fat is the temperature at which it begins to break down to glycerol and free fatty acids, and produce bluish smoke. The glycerol is then further broken down to acrolein which is a component of the smoke. It is the presence of the acrolein that causes the smoke to be extremely irritating to the eyes and throat. The smoke point also marks the beginning of both flavor and nutritional degradation. Therefore, it is a key consideration when selecting a fat for frying, with the smoke point of the specific oil dictating its maximum usable temperature and therefore its possible applications. For instance, since deep frying is a very high temperature process, it requires a fat with a high smoke point.

I have worked in many kitchens-when the oil starts to smoke. You get ready for the fire.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My husband eats a T or 2 of it everyday, as well as cooks with it and uses it topically. He loves it, says it has improved his skin, nails, and hair. He also believes the swishing he does with it in his mouth has improved his gums. He is 58 years old, very pumped, plays baseball two to three times a week all summer and through the fall (has three games this weekend - burrrrrrrr). And he is the pitcher (a very physically demanding position). By all of this, he is very healthy and fit.

I do believe that improvements in our hair and especially our skin do come from within. I don't find it disgusting at all, I just prefer to get me calories other ways.

CO is not a benefit of to your gums. It is more plausible that the extra attention being paid to his teeth and gums is the reason for the improvement. Dentists have never recommended CO as a benefit!
  • jayrudq
    Options

CO is not a benefit of to your gums. It is more plausible that the extra attention being paid to his teeth and gums is the reason for the improvement. Dentists have never recommended CO as a benefit!

Dentists don't recommend it? Duh! No surprise there. And, if you have some "proof" that it isn't a benefit, I am all ears...

I will go with Mercola, because, well, if you look at the PAGES of links re: coconut oil and teeth/gum health, he might be the most mainstream: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/08/coconut-oil-combats-tooth-decay.aspx
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My brother in law is a body builder and he puts it in his coffee. Sounds like a crap sandwich to me but everyone to their own.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just wanna say this thread title remembers me of my coconter problems in the past.
  • jayrudq
    Options
    I just wanna say this thread title remembers me of my coconter problems in the past.

Flashbacks?:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I just cook with it. The closest I ever come to drinking it straight is putting a bit in my coffee.