Healthy Pizza

Options

Replies

• Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For frozen pizza, the individual size Ultra Thin line from Home Run Inn is very good.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any healthy pizza recipes. What salads do you eat?

I just make this up:

900g flour
    600 mls luke warm water, with 1 lge soup spoon yeast and 1 tsp sugar mixed in
    1 tbsp oil
    1 soup spoon salt
    1 dssp sugar

put dry ingreds into kenwood bowl and make well in centre. Pour in liquids, beat 10 mins with dough hook. Cut into 4 pieces, oil and place in bowl to double in bulk.

when doubled, take out a piece, roll out to paper thin on ungreased baking tray. poke holes regularly with a fork to stop it puffing up. Cook 220*c for about 5 mins.

then remove from oven, put on desired topping.

given the amount of cheese I put on mine, i can usually only have half a pizza. :D Your toppings will determine how healthy your pizza is. It's entirely up to you.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes, Papa Murphy's. But, I make small ones for lunch all the time!! I just use a whole wheat tortilla, a little sauce, top with cooked ground turkey or chicken pieces, spinach or other veggies, one ounce of cheddar cheese....bake in the toaster oven. Top with half an avocado. yummy!
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I really like Papa John's pizza. I don't ever want to eat something that is not really pizza. When I have it now, I work it into my calories for the week & only eat 2 - 3 pieces. Bonus - I love veggies on the pizza.

Papa John's pizza isn't bad. Not fond of John's stand on health care for his employees. I don't see pizza as unhealthy, but not having access to health care certainly is.

I really like Casey's Pizza, though it's a midwestern thing. Also I find locally owned places often have the best pizza.

And I share your aversion to what is not really pizza. All these things with cauliflower for crust and such nonsense hold no appeal at all. I'll pass. Life is too short to make faux pizza with cauliflower for crust.

Yeah I refuse to buy Papa John's also because the CEO is a giant asshat. His comments on the new healthcare mandate were disgusting, especially in light of his own wealth. Seriously dude, your so rich that you have an underground garage at your mansion and you whine that a nickle and dime per pizza is too expensive for your low wage workers to have access healthcare? What an *kitten*...

I'll go for Papa Murphy's take home and cook pizzas. They're far more delicious and generally have a lower calorie count than papa johns. (For example: Papa Johns peperoni is 330 cal per slice, papa murphys is 279.)
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza totally from scratch most of the time. Other than waiting for the dough to rise, it doesn't take too long. I generally cook the sauce earlier in the day so it isn't too hot to work with.

Here is the recipe I use:

Dough - makes enough for two 12-14 inch crusts, depending on thickness. Each slice of dough (sans toppings) is about 115 calories if you cut it into eighths.
    •1 cup lukewarm milk or water
    •1/4 cup melted butter (4 tbsp)
    •1 tsp salt
    •1 tsp sugar
    •1 package dry yeast, combined with 1/4 cup warm water (about 110 degrees F) until dissolved
    •About 3-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1.in an 8 or 9 inch bowl, combine the lukewarm water or milk, melted butter, salt, and sugar and blend well.
    2.Add the dissolved yeast, mix, then add the flour about 1 cup at a time, beating after each addition with a long, heavy wooden spool until smooth.
    3.When the mixture gets too stiff to beat, turn out onto a floured surface, add more flour if the dough is very sticky, and knead for several minutes (adding flour as necessary) until the dough is not too soft and not too stiff.
    4.Split dough in half and knead each into a ball. Place the balls on a floured flat pan , lightly brush the top with oil, cover with waxed paper and let rise for 20 minutes (dough should about double in size)
    5.Roll each piece to fit a pizza pan (12 to 14 inches) and let dough rest for about 20 minutes.

Sauce (makes enough for both pizzas and some extra you can use later in the week):
    2 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 medium onion, chopped
    • 1 tsp basil
    • 1 tsp thyme
    • 1 tsp oregano
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
    • 1 six-ounce can tomato paste
    • 1 tbsp honey
    • 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
    • Fresh black pepper

1. Heat the oil on medium
    2. Add the onion and saute until clear
    3. Add the salt, basil, thyme, and oregano and sautee for another minute
    4. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, and black pepper
    5. Bring to boil, then simmer over low heat for 20 minutes
    6. Add the garlic and cook for another 10 minutes

Final Pizza:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F while the dough is resting.
    2. Add the sauce , toppings of your choice, and cheese (1-1/2 to 2 cups per pizza) to each of the pizza bases , then bake for about 25 minutes or until done.

I usually make one meat pizza with turkey pepperoni and turkey sausage (my wife doesn't eat pork or beef), and one veggie with spinach, mushroom, onions, and green peppers. I use part-skim mozzarella cheese for both. It works out to about 200 calories for a slice of the veggie, and 230 - 250 for a slice of the meat pizza.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wish I wasn't too lazy to make my own pizza lol.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza. Either I buy the dough from Earth Fare or I make it in the bread machine.

I then do a garlic and olive oil base (I can't have tomatoes), real shredded mozzarella, lots of vegetables, some fresh basil, and maybe some chicken or chicken sausage. Might even throw some feta on there. So good!

Try brushing on your garlic-infused olive oil on the dough, adding your mozzarella, then after it is done, squeezing some fresh lemon juice over it and adding a drizzle of olive oil. Mouthgasm.

That sounds amazing... but I can't have lemon juice either. Restrictive diets stink, but it is that or be in agony due to my medical issues.
  • huge2fan2
    huge2fan2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I buy the whole wheat crust at Trader Joe's and roll it out to a thin crust (you can cut it in half and make 2 smaller pizzas). I use 1 cup of Newman's Marinara, Boar's Head Turkey Pepperoni, and thinly sliced onions and bell pepper and 1 package of Trader Joe's Light Mozzarella. A nice sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and fresh basil to finish it. Very tasty and less than 200 calories per slice when sliced to 12 servings.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I really like Papa John's pizza. I don't ever want to eat something that is not really pizza. When I have it now, I work it into my calories for the week & only eat 2 - 3 pieces. Bonus - I love veggies on the pizza.

Papa John's pizza isn't bad. Not fond of John's stand on health care for his employees. I don't see pizza as unhealthy, but not having access to health care certainly is.

I really like Casey's Pizza, though it's a midwestern thing. Also I find locally owned places often have the best pizza.

And I share your aversion to what is not really pizza. All these things with cauliflower for crust and such nonsense hold no appeal at all. I'll pass. Life is too short to make faux pizza with cauliflower for crust.

ewwww cauliflower crusted pizza is just nasty!!!!
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I buy pizza by the slice so I can manage some portion control.
  • flashesbuck
    flashesbuck Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    we get pizza every once in a wile, The trick to making it mildly healthy, is cutting back on the high calorie items.

get thin crust, a big portion of calories are here, also cut out the meat! get alot of vegys. Then skip the pop and bread sticks, you can round up with a "meal" under 1000 calories if you do all this and still have 2-3 slices.

When we splurge, i personal like to get the Tower from East of Chicago, on thin crust, this is kinda of a Taco pizza with salsa and lettuce.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    making it at home is the right idea! if you are wanting a super quick and easy-to-fit item for your plan, a tortilla makes a great super thin but sturdy crust and you need no more than a toaster oven.

when i make my own real crust, though, i go really authentic to the official neopolitan style crust which eliminates both sugar and oil (both are american things, i think) and you need only bread flour, salt, water and yeast for that. you can keep that very thin as well to save carbs.

you can always use traditional sauce (lots of great recipes) but another option is to try bbq sauce, diced chicken breast, bacon or prosciutto crisps, caramelized onion and a bit of really good cheese. really good cheese means you need less of it so indulge yourself on the cheese, it and the crust are both more critical than sauce/toppings!

lots of veggies! but if you want to keep the top from getting soggy when the veggies sweat, cook them first! onions, peppers and mushrooms can be sautéed, cooled and then sprinkled across the top. putting meats and veggies on top will keep them crisp!

hope you enjoy!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I prefer to make my own as I can control the quality of the ingredients and also get a very accurate calorie count on it.

Bingo.

It's the same for me. I can make a better pie than papadominohut, and still know exactly what's goin into it.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ever try a pizza with Cauliflower as the crust? Try it out! Pretty damn healthy to me!

The Best Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Added by The Lucky Penny Blog on February 18, 2013 in Main Courses, Pizza
    Prep Time 15 Minutes
    Cook Time 20 Minutes Servings 2 Difficulty Easy
    Ingredients

1 head (Small Head) Cauliflower
    ¼ cups Parmesan Cheese
    ¼ cups Mozzarella Cheese
    ¼ teaspoons Kosher Salt
    ½ teaspoons Dried Basil
    ½ teaspoons Dried Oregano
    ½ teaspoons Garlic Powder
    Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
    1 Tablespoon Almond Meal (optional)
    1 whole Egg

Preparation Instructions

Place a pizza stone in the oven, or baking sheet if you don’t have a pizza stone. Preheat oven to 450ºF. On a cutting board, place a large piece of parchment paper and spray it with nonstick cooking oil.

Wash and throughly dry a small head of cauliflower. Don’t get one the size of your head unless you are planning on making 2 pizzas. Cut off the florets—you don’t need much stem, just stick with the florets. Pulse in your food processor for about 30 seconds, until you get powdery snow like cauliflower. You should end up with 2 to 3 cups cauliflower “snow”. Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover. Cook for 4 minutes. Dump cooked cauliflower onto a clean tea towel and allow to cool for a bit before attempting the next step.

Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it up in the dish towel and wring the heck out of it. You want to squeeze out as much water as possible. This will ensure you get a chewy pizza like crust instead of a crumbly mess.

Dumped squeezed cauliflower into a bowl. Now add Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, kosher salt, dried basil (crush up the leaves even more between your fingers before adding), dried oregano (crush up the leaves even more between your fingers before adding), garlic powder (not garlic salt), and a dash of red pepper if you want. I also added 1 tablespoon almond meal because my cauliflower yielded closer to 2 cups of cauli snow; this is optional and I would not add the almond meal if you have closer to 3 cups of cauli snow. Now add the egg and mix away. Hands tend to work best.

Once mixed together, use your hands to form the dough into a crust on your oiled parchment paper. Pat it down throughly, you want it nice and tightly formed together. Don’t make it too thick or thin either.

Using a cutting board, slide the parchment paper onto your hot pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 8-11 minutes, until it starts to turn golden brown. Remove from oven.

Add however much sauce, cheese, and toppings you want. I’m not gonna give you measurements for this. You know how you like your pizza—so go for it! Slide parchment with topped pizza back in the hot oven and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and slightly golden.

Test your patience and allow it to cool for a minute or two. Probably closer to two. Then using a pizza cutter and a spatula, serve up your delicious grain-free cauliflower crust pizza!

Prep Time 15 Minutes
    Ingredients

¼ cups Parmesan Cheese
    ¼ cups Mozzarella Cheese
    ¼ teaspoons Kosher Salt
    ½ teaspoons Dried Basil
    1 whole Egg

Preparation Instructions

Place a pizza stone in the oven, or baking sheet if you don’t have a pizza stone. Preheat oven to 450ºF. On a cutting board, place a large piece of parchment paper and spray it with nonstick cooking oil.

Wash and throughly dry a small head of cauliflower. Don’t get one the size of your head unless you are planning on making 2 pizzas. Cut off the florets—you don’t need much stem, just stick with the florets. Pulse in your food processor for about 30 seconds, until you get powdery snow like cauliflower. You should end up with 2 to 3 cups cauliflower “snow”. Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover. Cook for 4 minutes. Dump cooked cauliflower onto a clean tea towel and allow to cool for a bit before attempting the next step.

Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it up in the dish towel and wring the heck out of it. You want to squeeze out as much water as possible. This will ensure you get a chewy pizza like crust instead of a crumbly mess.

Dumped squeezed cauliflower into a bowl. Now add Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, kosher salt, dried basil (crush up the leaves even more between your fingers before adding), dried oregano (crush up the leaves even more between your fingers before adding), garlic powder (not garlic salt), and a dash of red pepper if you want. I also added 1 tablespoon almond meal because my cauliflower yielded closer to 2 cups of cauli snow; this is optional and I would not add the almond meal if you have closer to 3 cups of cauli snow. Now add the egg and mix away. Hands tend to work best.

Once mixed together, use your hands to form the dough into a crust on your oiled parchment paper. Pat it down throughly, you want it nice and tightly formed together. Don’t make it too thick or thin either.

Using a cutting board, slide the parchment paper onto your hot pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 8-11 minutes, until it starts to turn golden brown. Remove from oven.

Add however much sauce, cheese, and toppings you want. I’m not gonna give you measurements for this. You know how you like your pizza—so go for it! Slide parchment with topped pizza back in the hot oven and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and slightly golden.

Test your patience and allow it to cool for a minute or two. Probably closer to two. Then using a pizza cutter and a spatula, serve up your delicious grain-free cauliflower crust pizza!

Prep Time 15 Minutes
    Ingredients

¼ cups Parmesan Cheese
    ¼ cups Mozzarella Cheese
    ¼ teaspoons Kosher Salt
    ½ teaspoons Dried Basil
    1 whole Egg

Preparation Instructions

Prep Time 15 Minutes
    Ingredients

¼ cups Parmesan Cheese
    ¼ cups Mozzarella Cheese
    ¼ teaspoons Kosher Salt
    ½ teaspoons Dried Basil
    1 whole Egg

Preparation Instructions

Prep Time 15 Minutes
    Ingredients

¼ cups Parmesan Cheese
    ¼ cups Mozzarella Cheese
    ¼ teaspoons Kosher Salt
    ½ teaspoons Dried Basil
    1 whole Egg

Preparation Instructions

• shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sorry about my crazy...duplicated post...not sure what happened!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    For quick pizza I use the flat out bread.
    Contadina Pizza Squeeze, all the veggies I want, a little cheese. It is great.
    Pappa Murphys De Lite for take out. Veggies - spinach, mixed onions, peppers, red sauce we love it. I limit myself to 2 pieces and fit it in to my calories.
  • lisajmille58r
    lisajmille58r Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    do you have a recipe for your pizza dough?