Just a thought on Emotional Eating

Options
If food becomes the adversary, then every meal will be a struggle. Get support. Get rid of temptation. If you are going to enjoy a particular tempting food, allow yourself to eat the correct portion of it, but do so MINDFULLY. If you go to war with food, you are the only one who will lose.

Replies

• chickennugger13
    chickennugger13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One of my problems is it isn't the particular food I'm after, I just love eating massive portions of things, like mac and cheese, mmmm.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For most things, the solution is giving them up entirely (like cigarettes). With food, you can't do that, obviously.
    I had an overweight cat, and I knew that if I cut back on his food drastically, all at once, he would drive me crazy with demands for food. I weighed what he was eating, and very gradually cut back on the amount. His complaining was at a tolerable level.
    I've sort of done that for myself. My complaining is also at a tolerable level.
    Mindful eating and evaluating my fullness honestly do help. Stuffed isn't full, it's way more than full.
    If I've eaten the equivalent of a side salad plate, that's enough.
    I do tend to eat many times a day now to keep my hunger from building so much I go off the rails.
  • Full4Life
    Full4Life Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For me, I'll do awesome foir the most part, and I think the day to day I'm alright...

BUT, give me a little emotional stress and all that goes out the window. I'll eat as much as I can - usually sugary stuff.

Happens sometimes with work-related stress, but emotional stress is the worst.
    It comes from just wanting to feel better so bad, and I guess the massive amounts of sugar counter-act my emotional distress?
    I really don't know what goes on there, but I'm trying to find better ways of dealing with stress.
    Since mine is more an anxious issue, I think things like meditation and a dark room work better than "exercise"...

I find exercise is best (for me at least) for getting rid of anger or excess sexual energy... but to get rid of anxiety? Well... sometimes, but sometimes it just revs me up even higher!