Healthy meal ideas... HELP!!?

Options
MissFlab2Fab2014
MissFlab2Fab2014 Posts: 109
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Okay so I of course know what is healthy and not healthy... my biggest thing is that I am finding it really hard to create healthy meals that are satisfying in taste as well as filling me up... What are some of your favorite healthy meal ideas.. for BREAKFAST, LUNCH OR DINNER :)

Replies

• mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Try this. Brown Rice 1/2C cooked. Tossed Salad 2 cups Salmon 4oz. I am cooking the Rice in the cast iron skillet with the Salmon on top sprinkled with chili powder and will squeeze in Lime Juice just before serving. Toss a salad. Not too many calories here!
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    breakfast-
    quick oats with blueberries
    3 egg white and 1 whole egg scrambled. maybe add in some spinach and cooked with smart balance spray

lunches/dinners
    <3 me some tilapia
    cooked with smart balance spray, lime or lemon juice, mrs dash
    steamed asparagus or broccoli

spinach and grape tomato salad with tilapia and lime juice

they're simple meals nothing fancy. protein keeps me full! seasonings are always sodium free (mrs. dash) and im a fan of citrus and garlic
    I'm trying to stick to clean eating. these are just some of the meals I go for to fill me up :)
  • mforsis
    Options
    breakfast : oatmeal with raisins and nuts (the nuts to help last til lunchtime) or bacon and egg or 2 eggs and toast

lunch : 4 oz meat or fish protein (real meat or fish not luncheon meats or processed as that is just glue plus a vegetable/fruit serving

dinner : 4 oz meat or fish protein etc etc

I weigh and freeze my meat/fish into 4 oz serving portions and then freeze it ready to pull out each day.

snacks : fruit and yoghurt,apple and cheese or apple and nut butter, nuts, oat cakes or rye crackers with cheese or nut butter in modest proportions. I need to feel like I am really chewing something when I have the munchies.

I also log my expected food calories and then adjust at the end of the day so I try to stay on track. If I go off I don't beat myself up - too much

tomorrow's another day
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - 2 Scrambled eggs and 2 rashers of bacon
    Lunch - 4oz of chicken or fish and lots of steamed veg or salad
    Dinner - 4oz of meat and salad or steamed veg (which ever I didn't each at lunch) and a serving of carbs (rice, pasta or potatoes) if I've got calories left.

Snacks of fruit. Tea (because I'm British). Beer (because I'm British...)

What I should say is find some peeps here who have done well in losing weight (and are similar in gender, height and targets) and have a look at their diaries - that will give you some good ideas.

(Also, I use way too many parentheses!!!)
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Things with lots of natural fiber tend to be relatively low calorie and fill you up. Things with a bit of real fat also fill you up and tend to leave you feeling filled up longer. For me, things with a lot of sugar fill me up short term, but leave me craving more food a very short time later.

It helps to base most of your meals on large portions of non-starchy vegetables (3 or more servings), add a 3 oz serving or two of protein (meat, fish, or vegetarian source), include a "bit" of fat and then fill in the remaining corners with some carbs, Spices are helpful, as they have few to no calories and can make a plain dish "special".

Example 1: "Chop" up a head of romaine lettuce - should yield 3-6 cups of lettuce - I don't worry about the exact end result, because there are hardly any calories in lettuce. Add 8-16 cherry tomatoes or equivalent sliced tomato. I ad 1 "pouch" of tuna to this (about 2.6 ounces) and then top with salad dressing, taco sauce, salsa, curry sauce, etc, depending on where I want to hold the fat and calories. You can add onion, celery, pea pods, etc, according to your tastes and availability, without affecting calorie count too much - ranges usually between 200 and 350 calories, depending on dressing choice.

Example 2: Typical dinner: 6 ounces baked chicken breast, various seasoning choices, 2 cups cooked broccoli, 1 serving of rice, quinoa or potatoes (all sorts of different ways to fix the starches) - typically comes out at 5-600 calories (I tend to save my calories for the night)
  • tenilleless
    tenilleless Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love pinterest for meal ideas. They've got a ton of recipes. I love to cook even though I suck at it, so if I am able to make these things, I'm sure anyone can. :P

Recipies I've made and love are:
    http://menumusings.blogspot.ca/2011/09/ham-cups.html - I think it ended up being 66 calories a cup and it was very filling and reheated great.
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1379 - pizza egg mug (I cut up two cherry tomatoes rather than open a can)
    http://onesmallvegan.com/2012/10/02/baked-vegetable-spring-rolls/ - veggie spring rolls
    http://www.topfoodcenter.com/2013/09/singapore-noodles.html - its the noodles they serve in chinese buffets
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/05/pepperoni-pizza-cauliflower-casserole-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html -I've made this at least 6 times since Sept 10th. Very great for lunches.
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/06/22/cake-batter-ice-cream/ - DIY Low Cal ice cream - very good
    http://thedeenbros.com/index.php/recipes/recipe_detail/bobbys_lighter_tastes_like_lasagna_soup/ - lasagna soup - its my Dad's favorite food and hes not even on a diet.

I could keep going for hours. I'd recommend investing in a wok or a big frying pan too. If you wanna be lazy you can just toss some small veggies like bean sprouts, sweet peas, corn, spinach, etc in with some chopped up chicken and some mrs dash. :D
  • cparkburke
    cparkburke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just posted some fast faves here:

http://eepurl.com/FLQHT

Includes
    Lentil Stew (vegan or bacon & beer)
    My Fave Salad
    My Fave Scramble

And there's a few more on my Facebook business page:

http://facebook.com/lightheartedfitness

Hope you like them!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Taste buds vary so much from one person to the next, it's hard to help here. For me, healthy is a good balance of macros (protein, carbs, and fats). I still like (and eat) chocolate, but a 60 calorie square of dark chocolate with raspberries (yum) is a reasonable treat now (compared to eating chocolate several times a day before). Lean meats, legumes, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, nuts...the list is endless. Some people shy away from white carbs and replace with whole grains (brown rice versus white rice, et cetera). There are hundreds of recipes for chicken breasts - a smart choice for lean protein (unless you're a vegan or vegetarian). I love most vegetables if they are raw, but won't eat them if they are cooked (weird, I know).

List some food items that you really love, and I bet you'll get lots of good ideas on how to prepare them in a healthy way!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to eat anything I want in moderation. For example,we visited my aunt and uncle yesterday and she had the best homemade brownies that have been a tradition since before I was born. Everyone else had a substantial piece of brownie with whipped cream on top.

I'm lactose intolerant so I don't eat dairy, but I could have had a large brownie like they all did. Instead, I said I wanted a much smaller piece and I was satisfied.

On week mornings, I have Red Mill oatmeal with a teaspoon of flax seed, teaspoon of peanut butter, fruit, topped with unsweetened coconut milk (have a processed sugar sensitivity). I also have a homemade mocha with unsweetened chocolate and fat free milk (it foams very well).

On weekend mornings I will have bacon or turkey sausage, pancakes or eggs or French toast, fresh squeezed orange juice, and of course my homemade mocha.

For lunch I have a salad with lettuce, tomato, chicken, almonds, olives, and a fruit.

Dinner is usually fish, yam or potato, and a green vegetable. Steam my veggies because I love them that way.

Snacks are Greek yogurt, fruits, sometimes nuts, once in a great while a sweet in moderation. I love eating no sugar added coconut milk frozen desert too. Popcorn is my favorite.

All of what I describe is not always in one day. I don't deprive myself but I log in everything.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Try this. Brown Rice 1/2C cooked. Tossed Salad 2 cups Salmon 4oz. I am cooking the Rice in the cast iron skillet with the Salmon on top sprinkled with chili powder and will squeeze in Lime Juice just before serving. Toss a salad. Not too many calories here!

That sounds incredible. Will definitely need to try it.

My favorite is usually coconut crusted salmon with a side salad and a green veggie, or cajun spiced salmon baked with a strawberry spinach salad.
This discussion has been closed.