Honeycrisp apples

Options
124»

Replies

• susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am feeling super spoiled and lucky at the moment! I live in West MI and we have tons of orchards here. Honeycrisps are still quite pricey BUT one of the orchards delivered a shipping crate of Honeycrisp "seconds" (the ones with less than perfect looking skin that they can't sell to the stores) to the hardware store where my son works. I was able to get 8 lbs. for $2.50!!!!! I'm hoping they have some left yet next week when he works again. We've gone through about 12 lbs of apples so far this weekend! (I dehydrates some for apple chips, make crisp, and then we just eat the rest.)

Hey, we're neighbors :bigsmile: Love apple season in our area! I made a great apple raspberry crisp earlier this week, using gala apples from the orchard across the street from us and then some of the $1 raspberries that Meijer had last week :)

I just went to Klackle's today (near Greenville) and picked a bunch of apples. Honeycrisp being one of them. I also took home some Jonathans. Gotta get to Meijer and pick up some Granny Smith so I can make some baked goods!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    I like Granny Smiths the best too.

But I agree ,they are not sweet.
    I don't like over sweet things myself.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I just got done teaching a unit on apples! Each day we tried a new type of apple. My favorite has always been the gala...... until I tried the honeycrisp! OMG. It is to die for!

Oh, I'm glad I found an apple expert! Whatever happened to the luscious, crisp Red Delicious? They are awful now! Someone told me that they'd messed with them genetically to get a bright red skin and it ruined the taste and texture...I don't know what happened, but what I've tasted in the last couple of years is nothing like what they were when I was a grasshopper. Do you know the story?
    Apples are very sensitive to cultivation methods. Put a different compost on the ground and they will taste different. This is actually a fairly recently discovered phenomenon. One place flew farmers from Japan to compare notes because theirs still tasted the way they used to. It'll take a while though to get the trees producing apples the way they were before.

It has nothing to do with "messing with them genetically". Apples are genetic chimeras, and are basically impossible to breed via traditional methods.

The reason red delicious and yellow delicious apples are so woody and bland are because they were created for storage, not for taste. You can still find nice, bright red ones that are crisp, but they won't have a lot of flavor. They were meant more to be able to get apples mostly free of blemishes to supermarkets and schools so more people would eat apples. Source: A University of Minnesota apple breeder.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I just got done teaching a unit on apples! Each day we tried a new type of apple. My favorite has always been the gala...... until I tried the honeycrisp! OMG. It is to die for!

Oh, I'm glad I found an apple expert! Whatever happened to the luscious, crisp Red Delicious? They are awful now! Someone told me that they'd messed with them genetically to get a bright red skin and it ruined the taste and texture...I don't know what happened, but what I've tasted in the last couple of years is nothing like what they were when I was a grasshopper. Do you know the story?
    Apples are very sensitive to cultivation methods. Put a different compost on the ground and they will taste different. This is actually a fairly recently discovered phenomenon. One place flew farmers from Japan to compare notes because theirs still tasted the way they used to. It'll take a while though to get the trees producing apples the way they were before.

It has nothing to do with "messing with them genetically". Apples are genetic chimeras, and are basically impossible to breed via traditional methods.

The reason red delicious and yellow delicious apples are so woody and bland are because they were created for storage, not for taste. You can still find nice, bright red ones that are crisp, but they won't have a lot of flavor. They were meant more to be able to get apples mostly free of blemishes to supermarkets and schools so more people would eat apples. Source: A University of Minnesota apple breeder.
    No, they're bland because the soil is poor.

Fujis taste way better and they store better than Red Delicious.

Most apple cultivars (certainly the ones you see at the grocery store) can keep for a year anyhow.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Best apple ever..by far!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I LOVE honeycrisp apples - but I HATE the cost!

Same here, it totally stinks! I love Honeycrisp apples but my wallet prefers the Red Delicious.
  • Reggielost
    Reggielost Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I discovered Honeycrisp about 6 months ago. They are the best, but pricey too. $2.99 per pound here in Charlotte, NC. Braeburn's are a good substitute for me.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love where I live!

My son's current marching band fundraiser is selling 10 lb bags of honeycrisps for $15 each.

Fuji's are $12 for 10 lbs.

They are both my favorite, but the honeycrisps we get are huge, juicy amazingness!
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    So, I tried one tonight because of this thread... pure candy!