Fattie foods while trying to lose weight?

Options
So automatically when i think of dieting i think of salads and fruits but if I at Fattie foods and keep under my calourie limit would I lose weight? And why are salad linked to dieting? Thanks

Replies

• shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    So automatically when i think of dieting i think of salads and fruits but if I at Fattie foods and keep under my calourie limit would I lose weight? And why are salad linked to dieting? Thanks

Yes. All that is (effectively) required to lose weight is a calorie deficit below your effective TDEE. 500 calories per day per lb per week, unless you're obese you shouldn't be looking at more than roughly 1lb/week though and as you near your goal the gap should continue to get smaller to make the transition to maintenance easier and more stable.

Edit: Forgot to answer second question...

Because salads are filling and low calorie when starting out on a diet before you stomach and brain have had a chance to adjust... and generally because they're tasty. I love em... especially with spinach. I eat them dieting and otherwise. Fruits are actually pretty high calorie and while I enjoy them now and again, I find better bang for my buck in a lot of other foods.

For what it's worth and keep in mind I don't recommend it-- but you can lose weight eating nothing but fast food as long as the calories in are less than the calories out.

The long term realism is, if you don't want to re-gain then you need to learn portion control at some level or alter your diet to avoid the problem foods for you. Calorie counting is one methodology, portion control is one, upping exercise is a good method, another is dietary change (vegan, atkins, etc), etc... there are a lot of ways to get there you have to find the one you can do LONG TERM.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can still lose weight by eating fatty foods as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit (as said above).

The reason why salads and fruit etc. are linked to weight loss is because they have higher volume but low calories. For example, you will be more full after eating 200 calories of brocolli than you will from eating a 200 calorie chocolate bar.

In addition to filling you up for less calories, salads and fruit are WAY healthier for you as they have tonnes of vitamins etc. It is important to make sure you are getting enough vitamins and minerals when losing weight - Vitamin C, B12 and iron (especially if you are a girl) are super important.

If you are eating fatty food, I would suggest limiting to healthy fats such as nuts, olive oil and avocados. But of course it's not going to hurt you if you eat bad food like 1-2 times a week (as long as you are keeping within your calorie limit).

----

EDIT: Check out this link for an interesting comparison of what 200 calories can look like :)
    http://confessionsofafatgirl.typepad.com/blog/images/2007/10/19/1_3.jpg
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a calorie defecit, you will lose weight so fatty foods can be eaten, just as long as the calories are accurately logged and accounted for.

Salad is associated with dieting because it is a low fat/low calorie food but it also depends what you put in your salad....a good old cheese ploughmans, a UK favourite salad, can easily have 800 -1000 or more calories in it because it includes cheese and chutney, bread and butter etc.

The idea of the MFP 'plan', if you want to call it that, is to eat at a defecit, log everything and do some exercise. It works. Fact.

Whether you choose to 'eat clean' on fresh, healthy, natural foods or eat 'dirty' on processed convenience foods is your choice and will not have a huge effect on weight loss (though high sodium levels can lead to greater water retention) but there is an obvious benefit from eating more healthily.

I, personally, do a bit of both. I eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg and lots of salad but this is sometimes accompanied by 'clean' cuts of meat such as steamed organic chicken breast or free range beef and sometimes by 'dirty' processed fishcake in breadcrumb or a chicken kiev. It depends how much time I have to cook or what I fancy eating.
  • Gummibear111
    Options
    Thanks guys I'm trying to eat healthy I'm slowly kicking out bad foods I just can't seem to cut out white bread :/
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So don't! No need to cut it out, just cut it down and allow for it in your calorie count.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Barring a health issue, the only thing necessary for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

Salads are linked to weight loss, presumably because you can get more food for fewer calories.
  • shadus
    Options
    White bread is good :-):flowerforyou: chill out a bit, as long as your logging or even just noting down what you eat youll make healthier choices

You... you've not looked at my food journal. That only works if the person is ashamed or cares ;)
  • shadus
    Options
    Barring a health issue, the only thing necessary for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

Salads are linked to weight loss, presumably because you can get more food for fewer calories.

A good way to put it in perspective is:

Five Guys Burger (Bacon Cheeseburger) 317g, 920 calories.
    Five Guys Burgers (Regular Fries) 411g, 952 calories.

728g of food is 25.68oz or 1.6lbs of food with 1872 calories. Gives a calorie density of 72.9 calories per oz.
    (103 Fat, 171 Carbs, 66 Protein)

Large Head of Iceberg Lettuce 778g, 109 calories.
    1c (8oz) diced chicken breast 140g, 306 calories.
    1c (8oz) shredded cheddar cheese 113g, 440 calories.
    1/4c Italian Dressing 59g, 141 calories.

1090g of food is 38.45oz or 2.4lbs of food with 996 calories. Gives a calorie density of 25.9 calories per oz.
    (69 Fat, 53 Carbs, 71 Protein)

Edit: If you've got say... 2000 calories a day, one of those is feasible as "a big dinner" one really isn't.