Beside myself with joy and amazement!!!

Options
ArchyJill
ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
Last year I did the San Antonio Rock 'n' Roll Marathon and was sooooo disapointed with myself. Yes, I finished and that is nothing to sneeze at, but about mile 18 I totally gave up...took me 5 hours and 25 minutes to finish. After that I decided if I was to get serious I would need to make some changes, and change I did! I lost 15 pounds, lost about 10% of body fat, and gained a whole lotta muscle.

Today was my first marathon since San Antonio (about a year ago). My goal was just to finish strong, not to give up on myself. If it took 5 1/2 hours and I didn't ever give up then I would be happy. If I finished in 4:30 I would be thrilled. I finished in 4:02....FOUR HOURS AND TWO MINUTES!!!!! Totally and utterly beyond my wildest dreams. At mile 20 I choked back tears cause I knew I would finish strong, mile 25 I sobbed a little as I ran because I was as good as done, and at the finish line I lost it when I saw my time.

Qualifying for Boston used to be a joke for me...as in "when I'm 70 I'll qualify if I can keep this pace!". Looked up the qualifying times again. I just need to shave off about 17 minutes and I'm good to go.....

:drinker:

Replies

• purpleprose
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! That's an amazing accomplishment and you definitely deserve to be proud of yourself.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is outstanding! Congrats on that accomplishment! :)
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    totally awesome. congrats to you.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I really admire people that can run because it is something that I will only do if I were chased.

:flowerforyou:
  • OlenaS
    OlenaS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    How awesome! Congratulations on your achievements and good luck with the future ones!! :)
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You made me cry!!! I don't even know you and I am SOOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU AND HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! You are AMAZING!!!!!! Good job putting in the work and going ABOVE AND BEYOND what you thought you could do!!!!!

YAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wahoo. Congrats on meeting your goal.

You are a great example to people like me who are runners trapped in fat, out-of-shape bodies.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome!!! My heart was racing as I read your story. lol My heart was cheering for you. Maybe by next time, you'll qualify for Boston!
  • rymattsmom
    rymattsmom Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    you go girl!

i know that feeling, i choked back tears after i ran my first and only 5k. it wasn't about the time for me but finishing was an emotional feat.

good for you!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Katiekat1182
    Katiekat1182 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Congrats!!!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! You're an inspiration!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring and motivating. I have seen some of my closest friends complete their first marathon, it's very emotional. I have completed many 1/2 marathons, and have yet to complete a full. I can relate to those emotions somewhat, however I am sure that your journey was awesome and something you will never forget. I am so proud of you, it's amazing!

PS: only 5% of the exercise population run 1/2 marathons, and 2% of the exercise population run full marathons. CONGRATS!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    You rock...that is aweome and inspirational...I hope to be so pleased tomorrow ...
    Good for you...you should be really proud
  • PatriciaO
    Options
    Noone knows but you how happy this is making you but it means a lot to others to cheer for you. Congrats
  • CDresp
    CDresp Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As a former runner I can totally understand how you feel. Although I have never ran a marathon, as a former Marine I have always longed to one day run the USMC Marathon. I have a unspoken (until now) goal of maybe running it next year. I have 13 months to loose the pounds and get in shape. Hope my knees hold out!! You ROCK! Keep up the great work!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    HOLY MOLY! Amazing job. You are fantastic
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing feat! You did such a fabulous job and I knew you would too! Well done Jill! Boston is just around the corner!!! Any future plans for the NYC marathon??? *grin*
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    I am so impressed. I go to a bootcamp type of workout and we run and it is so so hard for me. I can't imagine a marathon. You should be so pelased with yourself.Keep up the good work. Thanks for posting your success
  • slansdown
    Options
    I did my first marathon this past year. I don't know if I will do another one, but I walked. It took me seven and a half hours, but I was proud that I finished my first marathon. Finishing was important and I hope that you recognize both marathons as accomplishments.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!