what nutrients do you track

Options
hey guys-

i'm working on my weight loss but was wondering what you track in your food log besides carbs, fats, and protein. do you track sodium? sugars? fiber? what has worked best for you?

Replies

• NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I track sodium because I have a family history of hypertension. My best friend tracks sugars because she was diagnosed with pre-diabetes several months ago and has a family history of diabetes. Its a good idea to track both and keep them within limits. Good luck! :)
  • purpleprose
    Options
    I track cals, fat, carbs, sodium, and fiber.

Sodium has a HUGE impact on my weight day-to-day, and helps me keep my love of salt in check (I love salty foods). It also helps let me now if I need to start drinking more water or if I can ease off a bit.

I track the fiber because I had my gallbladder removed in August and the surgeon instructed me to ensure I get a lot of fiber in my diet. It also helps keep things regular, another issue for me post-surgery.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    for anyone that tracks sugars... how do you even have a salad or two and a piece of fruit with out going over? the sugars have been really limiting my food intake because the grams are so low. i haven't had fresh fruit in a very long time because of it
  • OlenaS
    OlenaS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sodium and fiber for me, I find those the most useful. I agree with everybody about sodium. A few years ago I made a big effort of eating lower sodium foods and lost weight just because of that (that was without exercise even). P.S. Also, MFP gives me a goal of 2,500 sodium per day, but I try to stay at about 1,500.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I track calories, carbs, protein, fat, fiber, and sodium. I have the opposite problem as most people with sodium. I have low blood pressure and if I don't eat enough sodium it drops too low and I pass out. I track fiber because it is important for regularity. As for sugars, I don't track them because MFP doesn't separate added sugars from natural sugars. If it tracked added sugars, I'd track it, because that is what there is suppose to be a limit on. Natural sugars are fine in my opinion.
  • cnash81
    cnash81 Posts: 30
    Options
    That's exactly why I stopped tracking my sugars. I knew that all of my sugar intake daily was from fruit and veggie sources, but it's discouraging to see numbers in the red. So I just stopped tracking it. I was tired of depriving myself of some servings of fresh fruit because of the sugars. As far as I'm concerned, the sugars in fruit don't count (in moderation, of course).
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    for anyone that tracks sugars... how do you even have a salad or two and a piece of fruit with out going over? the sugars have been really limiting my food intake because the grams are so low. i haven't had fresh fruit in a very long time because of it

MFP doesn't distinguish between natural sugars and simple carbs. If you are diabetic or at risk for diabetes then your doctor may recommended that you keep your carbohydrate intake within a certain range for meals and snacks. If this is an issue for you I would say track the carbs on your own. If this isn't an issue for you, I wouldn't worry about tracking sugars. Just know that it is healthiest to avoid simple carbohydrates and stick with fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Good luck!
  • hmlayman
    Options
    DEF. sodium and fat. They are crucial. Feel free to add me please.
  • debbiepringle
    debbiepringle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I track calories, fat, sodium, sugars, and carbs. Of course the sugars I subtract the natural sugars, which are natural sugars from all fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • debbiepringle
    debbiepringle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I track calories,sat fat, cholesterol, sodium, sugars, and carbs. Of course the sugars I subtract the natural sugars, which are natural sugars from all fresh fruits and vegetables. SInce I have been watching these items I have been loosing anywhere from 1-3 lbs a day. Prior to not tracking the sugars and sodium I was not getting great results. This program is awesome!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I wish we had the option to add one more b/c I find myself having to choose between sugar and sodium. Since fruit will put me over on sugar (so I like to watch that) and only if I go to a restaurant will sodium be an issue I choose sugar/fat/carbs/fiber/calories/protein.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    humm i think i'll try adjusting to tracking fiber since sugars would stop me from eating after awhile. i haven't had a yogurt in a month and fresh fruit even less. while i am losing weight i don't want all my nutrients to come from vitamin supplements. thank you guys for the feed back because i want to do this the right way. any other suggestions or stories are wonderful and always helpful to me
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Calories, Fat, Sat Fat, Protein, Fiber & Carbs for me - I don't much worry about sugar or salt
  • Sherelly
    Options
    For now, I only track calories. When my weight loss stalls, I will tweek something like sodium or carbs. I want this new lifestyle to become second nature before I micromanage every morsel.