Juicing... Fat Sick and Nearly Dead

Options
3 days, 10 days, 30 days, 60 days, 90, days????

has anyone seem the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. it is on Netflix, takes you through two months of the man juicing and his transformations i s amazing not only physically but health wise

has anyone tried this?? what were your results? how many days did you do??

my uncle did it for 75 days and lost 80lbs was drinking only juices that amounted up to 1400 calories for him.

Juicing is extracting the juice from the fruit and veggie and blending is blending the entire fruit and veggie.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Did it for a week on a mountain retreat with lots of exercise, lost 7 lbs. Calories in <1000, calories out >3000.

Edit to add the film is really good in its own right.
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Jazzabelle100885
    Options
    I followed a guy on YouTube who did it for a year. He had absolutely amazing results but he did say that it would be really hard for him to get back to normal eating, because he will gain a lot of weight back and his stomach is probably not ready for it.

I don't think juicing is good as it removes the fibre from your intake, and you need fibre. If you want to go vegan/raw, I think there's no problem but simply juicing is not recommended.

I would say adding a juice or two to your day can be great for you but don't just live on juices. There's way better options to get healthy - ways that are sustainable.

My view is: only do it if you see yourself doing it for the rest of your life.
  • yarwell
    Options
    I don't think juicing is good as it removes the fibre from your intake, and you need fibre. If you want to go vegan/raw, I think there's no problem but simply juicing is not recommended

a) It only removes some fibre - insoluble fibre. There's lots of soluble fibre in juices and smoothies (also some of the ingredients like banana and avocado are blended in whole not juiced).

b) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/ "Stopping or reducing dietary fiber intake reduces constipation and its associated symptoms" would challenge your assertion that "you need fibre" anyway.
  • nrtackett
    Options
    The documentary changed my life.

I saw it a couple of years ago right after I was diagnosed with MS and it was an inspiration. While I haven't gone on a strict juice fast I have incorporated juicing into my habits and it does make a difference. When I was juicing twice a day and eating one solid meal I did lose weight, but the main difference I felt was an increase in lasting energy. Less pain and better mood were also some 'side effects'.

I started juicing with a basic $30 dollar juicer which worked just as great as the fancier models it just took a little more work preparing. Now I use a nutribullet and I've been very pleased with it ( not promoting any product here, just stating that one does not need to break the bank to juice!)

I highly recommend incorporating juicing to a daily regime. Best of luck!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    The documentary changed my life.

I'd have to say this is true for me, as well.... so far. As I've said elsewhere.... I had a bit of a health scare, and just days before, I'd seen Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. So, I jumped on the bandwagon, and bought a juicer. I did straight juice for 10 days. I found that I felt a bit light headed and after a few days, started planning my exit strategy to transition to a healthier diet, consisting of juice, and real food. Aside from losing some muscle, and winding up with skinny little girl arms... I've been pleased with the results.

mr-burns.jpg
  • bermeo07
    Options
    you all helped me alot, thank you. so do you think it is best to juice for two means and then eat one healthy meal? I realize if it go back to eating unhealthy the weight will defiantly come back on. i am also going to start working out on an regular basis
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    it's completely useless compared to eating proper, and can have negative side effects. Fad diets and the stuff people believe. Just track calories, eat clean and balance macros. why do people think this is really harder than it has to be.
  • clhandwerk
    clhandwerk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Im considering doing this too- but it would suck if a lot of the weight came back on, maybe like you said having the one real meal durring the day then have juice the rest of the time. maybe that will work! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This strikes me as a pretty impractical and unnatural way of achieving a caloric deficit (which is what actually makes the weight loss happen).

But if it works for ya, what the hell, go for it!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's only effective for weight loss because it forces you into a low calorie diet. You could do the same thing just eating those calories but it's a lot more exciting to say that you're juicing and you're on a "program". No one wants to hear that you're eating less and losing weight but you can get hours of enjoyment out of talking about the fabulous effects of juicing kale.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    but you can get hours of enjoyment out of talking about the fabulous effects of juicing kale.

Actually, kale juice tastes like @$$.

hC38C30EC
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options

I don't think juicing is good as it removes the fibre from your intake, and you need fibre.

That depends on the type of juicer you have. There are two main types - masticating and centrifugal. Centrifugal is the type in the movie that "shreds" fruits/veggies at high speeds with blades. This type does remove a lot of the rind (fiber). The masticating types (more expensive) slowly press fruits/veggies through grinders and allow some rind into the juice.

As others have stated not sure a full time juice diet is doable for most people but adding a juice or two into a healthy diet is a great idea.
  • johnrossmckay
    johnrossmckay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I watched the movie and bought a juicer. Went crazy for a week and then because I lack discipline, backed off to a juice a day.

Downside?

I go through a lot of kale, carrots, apples, swiss chard, ginger, lemon, celery, sweet potato, beets etc that I NEVER ate before. So from that standpoint it has improved my nutrition.

One aspect I did not expect is that the juices, even the green ones, taste really good. Very refreshing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For those who are recommending doing it, what the benefit of adding juice vs. just eating the same foods whole or in smoothie form?
  • absentmindedhousewife
    absentmindedhousewife Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Based on this movie my husband and I tried it. We lasted for five days.

By that time I lacked a lot of energy and my brain wasn't functioning well. My thinking was way fuzzy. As it went on it also became apparent that fiber wasn't all there was when it comes to your bowels and some of us require a little fat so we can poop. It also became apparent that having something in your stomach that didn't digest so quickly was a very comfortable place to be.

I suppose if you are grossly overweight that you have enough storage to make such a crazy diet sustainable, but otherwise crazy is crazy. If the good lord wanted us to eat food that didn't require chewing, he wouldn't have given us teeth.
  • yarwell
    Options
    For those who are recommending doing it, what the benefit of adding juice vs. just eating the same foods whole or in smoothie form?

Many juices are a lot more palatable than their source vegetable - I've had some good juices with parsnip or beetroot in them and I couldn't envisage eating either of them raw or pulped in a smoothie.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    WTH, I guess I'm in for where this will inevitably go.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is one of the best infomercials out there. Although I've always been a intrigued by the knives that cut through pipes too.

Nothing wrong with making juice. Just don't pretend it's something it's not. If you eat fruits and vegetables normally, you're getting all the benefit with much lower cost.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I loved that documentary!
    But I couldn't justify wasting so much food and nutrients. So I bought a Ninja blender and blend fruit and veggies.
    I get all the vitamins that way and much more filling!