Well that was disheartening...

Options
Let me preface this with yes, I'm a big girl, and have never lifted before in my life, aside from an 8 pound kettlebell and some girly 3 lb dumbbells.

So today I was going to start Stronglifts 5x5. I was really excited about it! I got up nice and early, got to the gym at 5:30, got to the squat rack, and... couldn't lift the empty bar. Not only was I extremely self conscious to begin with (rather obese girl going to an active duty Navy gym where everyone was already in shape), but now I was embarrassed because I couldn't lift an empty bar off the rack. Sigh.

So I hit the machines: Leg press, chest supported row, shoulder press, and abdominal crunch. Most I could do on the shoulder press was 35 lbs (not including leg press), so I'll work my way up to it. I'm going to give them a few weeks and try the empty bar again.

My face was red with embarrassment, but I hid it with sweat and effort.

Someone please tell me if I'm doing the right thing? I'm kind of doing this on my own here.

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You know what? You win all the prizes for not simply walking out of the gym and quitting. SO much smarter to recognize your current abilities, and to work with - and improve on - those, rather than overdo it and injure yourself. Please don't be embarrassed - we all had to start somewhere!!! I bet you'll find that you progress really quickly over the next few weeks and months. Way to stick with it!!! *Standing ovation!!*

ETA: also, consider trying dumbbells instead of the bar if you want to still enjoy the benefits of free weights. I've done ALL my weight training using only dumbbells - you can still get awesome results and be full of badassery even if you don't lift a bar!
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi Shan, You could try doing squats holding a dumbell in each hand as a way to work up to the squat rack. The olympic bars usually weigh about 45 lbs so if you work with dumbell untill uou can squat with a 25 in each hand you will certainly be strong enough to squat with the bar in the rack. Then it will just be a matter of getting used to the balance difference between the way you hold dumbells and how you hold the bar. I have used a broom stick as way way to practice the squat motion without having any extra weight.

Just don't give up :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad - even without weights attached those bars can be pretty heavy (how heavy depends on brand, style, etc).

Kudos to youfor still doing strength training and not giving up! Keep working on building up your strength and you'll get there eventually.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    you went to the gym and not for social hour...you get major kudos for that! I'm a big girl too and that bar can be real heavy if you're not used to lifting. The one in my gym is 45 lbs.

You went..that's a start of a very strong journey :flowerforyou:
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen years ago. I always imagined the bar was pretty light so when I tried lifting it, I couldn't! Instead, I prefer to use two separate dumb bells. Not only can I alternate, but I can lift heavier or lighter depending on what my plan is.

I give you props for not leaving and planning on going back. Try not to injure yourself, maybe go for lighter weights- not too light, tho- and work your way up to the bar?? Plus getting up at 5:30 am! Well done indeed.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. No matter your weight/size, no one starts out strong. Now you have a goal to work toward!
  • debbie14892
    debbie14892 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I commend you for sticking with it and not simply giving up and walking out. KUDOS!! Keep up the great work, you will get stonger!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    When I started I wouldn't have been able to lift the bar either. I started with body weight squats then dumbbells then a bar (10lbs) and then up to the Olympic bar.

The brilliant thing is that you didn't give up :flowerforyou:

As everyone has said, use dumbbells and work your way up to the empty bar, with your attitude you'll be squatting in the rack in No time :bigsmile:
  • cbbn11
    cbbn11 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You know what? You win all the prizes for not simply walking out of the gym and quitting. SO much smarter to recognize your current abilities, and to work with - and improve on - those, rather than overdo it and injure yourself. Please don't be embarrassed - we all had to start somewhere!!! I bet you'll find that you progress really quickly over the next few weeks and months. Way to stick with it!!! *Standing ovation!!*

^^ This.

I can tell you there was times when I got frustrated and just walked out of the gym then felt like crap for giving up.
    I think you are a VERY strong person and I know you will accomplish anything you put your mind to.

WTG.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    good for you for adapting and carrying on.

google or you tube dumbell squats- it's really not easy with a bar if you aren't already using very good form maybe just go with bodyweight squats for a while. Form is more important than weight!

I've been doing this for the past month too, it's simple enough and I'm seeing some results- just the training guide not all the supplements etc. http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I've not been on strength training that long either so add me if you would like some support going forwards.
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started stronglifts last week after a looooong hiatus from lifting.

Walked into the gym, up to the the squat rack, which was already loaded with a couple 45s. Unloaded the weights, set up the safeties, got under the bar, unracked it....and then promptly realized it was too heavy for me, reracked it, walked over to the dumbbells and did goblet squats.

Currently I am so weak, I need to modify every exercise in stronglifts (goblet squats, dumbbell bench/overhead press/rows, dumbbell sldl)

Remember, stronglifts is designed for men eating at a surplus. If you are a woman at a deficit, you won't progress nearly as fast.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it!
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I can't lift the bar......yet. We will both get there. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Great job for not walking out of the gym and giving up.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh well you stuck with it, dumbells or preloaded bars are your friends here if you want to stick with the free weights.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have the shorter barbells with weights already permanently bolted on ? They usually come in weight ranges from pretty light to about 80 lbs. I have seen women at my gym start stronglifts with these until they could lift the regular bar. And trust me when I say you shouldn't be embarrassed. If any of the bro's in your gym know anything about lifting, they are gonna be impressed that you are starting a 'real' lifting routine.

And just a note on the machines....I was doing leg extensions, reverse leg curls, and leg presses for the past 4 months and had every machine maxed on the weight. When I started stronglifts, I started with an empty bar just like the program tells you to. I felt more in my legs after doing squats with 45 lbs than I ever did doing the leg machines at the maximum weight.

I 'm not telling you to not to do the machines, but I am seeing for myself now the huge difference between them.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I wanted to tell you that I'm proud of you for not just giving up and leaving. you are going to be just fine!!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The empty bar weighs 45lbs....a lot of people can't use that for certain lifts. (I've been lifting for a few months, and still can't lift 45lbs for overhead press!) Try a non Olympic bar or some dumbbells until you work your way up.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

^^ This.

I can tell you there was times when I got frustrated and just walked out of the gym then felt like crap for giving up.
    I think you are a VERY strong person and I know you will accomplish anything you put your mind to.

WTG.

This and this.

Does your gym have pre-loaded bars? Mine had them starting at 20 lbs and looks like this (they also have a 10lb bar)

preload_bar.jpg
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Meh. The important part is making the effort. You did the right thing in trying to find an alternative to help you work up to it. Just keep going, and soon you will find that olympic bar will be yours. Give it a few weeks, and you will have some weight on it as well. Just don't give up!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I am really impressed you didn't give up! particularly if you haven't lifted before, 45 lbs seems like quite a bit. I would second the suggestion of dumbbells, and all pro for beginners is actually a really nice routine that can be used with them. here's a good summary on it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915909-what-exactly-is-all-pro-s-routine

I did this routine with dumbbells first and have now started SL. the best part about this is that you start with a set weight and keep going until you can do so many reps, and then you can move on to higher weights from there. once you've gotten far enough with dumbbells the transition to SL is not too daunting. good luck and don't be too hard on yourself!