3 lbs overnight!?

Options
so i got on the scale this morning and it read 130 lbs... i was definitely just at 127 a day ago, how could this happen?! i am fairly active, walking 5+ miles a day plus volleyball or weight training. I have been extra hungry lately so i've been eating close to 2000 calories a day, but my fitbit and mfp are telling me that i'm netting at or below my goal of 1300 which is a 500 calorie deficit to my bmr. i know i haven't eaten enough to actually gain the weight in fat, but then where did this weight come from?!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Probably water and did you mean 500 deficit to your TDEE, not BMR? Hopefully you aren't eating 500 under your BMR.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    How do your muscles feel? Sore and worked out? If so they are probably retaining water and nutrients to heal up after your last workout.

Also, when was your last bowel movement? You can carry quite a bit around in your digestive system.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Probably water, but this is WELL within normal body weight fluctuations.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Water weight. It isn't fat, don't worry. It'll soon drop off. :smile:
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I gained 4 pounds overnight just because of a refeed day and because of my "backed up" system. Drink lots of water and wait it out
  • MyseriMapleleaf
    MyseriMapleleaf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Probably water and did you mean 500 deficit to your TDEE, not BMR? Hopefully you aren't eating 500 under your BMR.

Is it bad to eat 500 under BMR? And what is TDEE?
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Water

How was your sodium intake the last couple days? Did you overload on carbs? Did you do a strenuous exercise in the last 2 days?

All of these things could cause your body to retain water. Sodium and carbs for obvious reasons and exercise b/c your muscles are trying to repair themselves and will often hold water for a few days. Drink at least 100oz of water a day and monitor your sodium, the weight will drop.
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Probably water, and scales have a 2-3lb error factor as well, don't worry you are doing great :)
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    like the rest have said....water is the known culprit.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    1. TOM is coming
    2. You had some salty food yesterday
    3. Your muscles are sore and you're retaining fluid
    4. You haven't pooped in a couple of days
  • KimberlyVerb
    KimberlyVerb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Water weight.

If you eat a lot of sodium the day before and don't drink enough water to flush it out your body will hold it like sponge. It sucks :(
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Is it bad to eat 500 under BMR? And what is TDEE?

Yes, your BMR is the calories you need to survive in a coma. TDEE is the total number of calories you use in a day including your activity. You need to eat between BMR and TDEE to lose weight safely.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    Your body can fluctuate more than 5lbs in a day. I don't think you should freak about 3lbs in one day because it's definitely not a 3lb fat gain in one days time unless you consumed 10,500 extra calories in one day.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    all scales AND bodies can be plus or minus 5 lbs on daily basis. I used to stress over this as well UNTIL my trainer took my scale from me and I get to "pet" it maybe twice a month. But she was right as I am no longer focused on THE NUMBER and on ME and in doing so I have gone ahead and am actually losing weight quicker without the STRESS--which does add weight in the long run.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You aren't really supposed to weight yourself everyday because of water and poop and stuff, as everyone else has said. Also if you've just washed your hair you will have even extra water weight (particularly if you're still wearing a towel turban, thought I'd put on 5lb)

I do though weigh myself too often but learn not to take every reading as "true". In the past week I have been at various increments between 127.25 and129 but as long as week by week my weight, measurements and fitness are improving I am happy.