115 pounds lost, self-respect gained.

Options
I was only 40 years old and weighed over 300 pounds. I would get winded walking up a single flight of stairs. I was killing myself with a knife and fork. I truly was and am a food addict. What could I do about it? For me I had to treat it like any other addiction. I had to scrupulously count my calories. I had to avoid the foods that were my binge foods. I mean pizza, right. I would order a large pizza and eat the whole thing over the course of an hour or two, hating myself while doing it and feeling so sick afterwards. But the next day I'd order another one.

Some people can have cheat days. I know from my own experience that I can't because cheat days for me turn into cheat months.

So I had to decide... How do I define quality of life? Is it being able to eat whatever I want, whenever I want? Is it being able to drink a gallon of beer? Or a 12 pack of Coke a day?

Or is quality of life looking in the mirror and actually liking what I see? Is it being able to fit into an airline seat (even on a commuter flight) without feeling like 10 pounds of you-know-what stuffed in a five pound bag. How about being able to do all kinds of physical things that I never imagined being able to do?

Now, I've lost 115 pounds and I am definitely loving my new lifestyle! My friends and family are asking me when I am going to stop losing and I tell them it is not about losing weight any more. I am eating a healthy diet (about 2000 cals a day, keeping an eye on macros). I am getting a healthy amount of exercise (Cardio 30 mins, 3x/wk and strength training 2x/wk). Where my weight ends up is where it belongs. Don't get me wrong, I still weigh myself and am interested in where it goes, but I'm not all stressed over it.

I never thought I would be below 200 pounds again, but here I am.

So if you are having trouble and losing faith in yourself, keep plugging away. You can do this! Believe in yourself. Remember, what works for one person will not work for everyone. If you are not seeing results, change something up! Ask for advice here or elsewhere. Remember, every step toward your goal, no matter how small, gets you closer to your goal.

Hopefully this wasn't too disjointed and confusing. Brightest blessings in your journey.

Tom

P6244480.jpg
100pounds.jpg

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!