Stray dog problem, any suggestions?

Options
silhouettes
silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
I know this is a weight loss website, but as a lot of us come from different backgrounds, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the problem I am having lately... I really need help and I don't know what to do. I'm about at my wit's end.

First off, I am not messing with the dog pound, I hate the local dog pound they freaking won't help, they basically tell me to just "let strays" die when I call and that they are to full to help.

My problem is a puppy. It's cute, innocent, playful and tame, but it's becoming a terror. It jumps on me when I go outside, gets me dirty, which I can handle but now it's attacking my dogs. Not in a mean way, but my dogs take it as that (they are both around 12 years old: Muddle the boy and Flower t he girl).

It excites Muddle, who has a faulty heart valve and SHOULDN'T be excited, who tries to attack him (and this scares me also, I don't like seeing my dog aggressive... he's only like that with animals in our yard). And then there is Flower, I don't know what's worse, she see's him and won't do her business.. so I have to either keep taking her out or clean up the house after he like she's the puppy again.

I stopped being nice to the dog, tried yelling, even got ticked and threw things at it (I know not helpful, but I was mad that day) but it just WILL NOT go away! I can't walk outside anymore.

Getting a fence isn't an option because 1. we have to much ground and 2. it belongs to my parents not me and 3. I don't have the money right now.

I seen a neighbor feeding it but he claims it's not his he was just trying to help and no one else around here claims it. It just showed up one day. It has a collar but no tags and not 100 percent sure the neighbor didn't put the collar on, the one that doesn't claim it. What the heck can I do???

And our town isn't being helpful, no one wants to come pick it up, like I said the dog pound says if I touch it, it's mine (lovely) and if I don't want it just leave it outside to die. Seriously? I don't know where else to turn. I don't want it hurt, but I want it gone.. away from my babies, they are getting to old to deal with this.

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Oh how sad! I hate seeing stray dogs and puppies. It breaks my heart that no one will help. Is there any no-kill shelters in your area? Can you put an ad in your paper saying that you have a stray puppy for a loving home? I'd see if someone can adopt the poor thing. Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Search for other animal shelters in your area and contact them for advice. And/or maybe contact someone at the state level - Department of Agriculture, Animal Welfare - something like that.
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mt9tgxb6kP1rfd7lko1_500.jpg

Yeah.

Animal shelter is your best bet.

poor mutt.

• ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Call you local councilperson and tell them that animal control or the local police aren't doing their job.
  • madworld1
    Options
    Google animal rescues in your area. I had the same thing happen to me a year ago. Beautiful and sweet dog slept on my front porch until I finally found her a home by posting an ad online. But, I did have the option of several animal rescues.

They are usually willing to help if you just ask.
  • silhouettes
    Options
    Oh how sad! I hate seeing stray dogs and puppies. It breaks my heart that no one will help. Is there any no-kill shelters in your area? Can you put an ad in your paper saying that you have a stray puppy for a loving home? I'd see if someone can adopt the poor thing. Good luck!

Only shelter in town that I could find is the one I mentioned that refused to help.. and they are also animal control... :/ I am trying to post pictures on FB if I can get a good one for ppl locally but no luck yet.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Most shelters don't have enough staff to send someone out to pick up every stray dog... you'd need to take the dog to them. Your city *might* have an animal control that picks up strays, but not every city does, either.

The best bet would be to try to find a local or semi-local rescue group that could take it. Search Petfinder.com for ones near you. But even then, you might need to be the one to take the dog to them.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can look for rexcues locally, and if it looks like a specific breed search for breed specific rescues

Ask you vet or other local vets too, they might know good resources besides the pound or be willing to rehome it themselves
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Local breeders, vets and pet supply stores may know if there are rescue groups nearby. Maybe give them a call?
  • silhouettes
    Options
    You can look for rexcues locally, and if it looks like a specific breed search for breed specific rescues

Ask you vet or other local vets too, they might know good resources besides the pound or be willing to rehome it themselves

I tried this and they only gave me two names in town, Pet Port, which is the place that refuses to help, they said they wouldn't even take it if I brought it to them and another place but they only rescue cats so that doesn't help.

I can catch it no problem, but once I do I don't have a clue what to do with it. I can't find any shelters locally within a reasonable driving distance.. I can't drive in a car for extended time with a hyper puppy (did I mention it's huge? lol)
  • ckasap
    ckasap Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Where are you located? There has to be a branch of the SPCA or a rescue or some group that will come help you.
  • silhouettes
    Options
    At the bottom of IN, about an hour from KY.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Local breeders, vets and pet supply stores may know if there are rescue groups nearby. Maybe give them a call?

^^ That's what I would do.

I would also take it to the vet as the dog might be chipped and you can find out who the owner is that way. If it IS chipped and they can't get a hold of the owner the vet can hold the animal until they do. But after that though I'm not sure what you can do if the owner plays dumb and says they gave the dog away and the person doesn't want it back.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Cr@p.... I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I'm normally an @$$hole, but now, I'm almost in tears.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Also, a lot of reputable breeders take in rescues, as they have the space and resources. If they are informed of the situation, you might get lucky and one of them will scoop the poor fellow up and at least to foster until a home can be found.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    petfinder.ca <--- list of all the shelters near you. I'd call around, maybe someone will come pick him up for you.

Maybe take a few photos and put it up around town, online etc - say you've found a puppy, or your giving away a free puppy.
  • silhouettes
    Options
    I'm still trying to make calls and I can't find him right now for pictures, figures. I can't bring him in and hold onto him until someone wants him.. as I said before I have two older dogs and I can't let them interact (due to my boys faulty heart valve) and I have no where else to keep him at. No one I ask so far want's to even take him in temporarily. My community really sucks, :/
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    An add in the paper "free to a good home" usually works pretty well.
    -Just my own opinion, but... How irresponsible of someone to just leave a puppy to wander around- but people do it all the time, i know.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Indiana-Animal-Rescue/69422533280

Post about him on their Facebook page, explain that you have no car and someone will have to come get him. I've seen people drive states away to help a dog in need. Play up the sympathy angle (he's suffering right now, he'll probably die over the winter, etc.). A picture would help greatly. Someone will help even if it's not the animal rescue themselves. Network!
  • silhouettes
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Indiana-Animal-Rescue/69422533280

Post about him on their Facebook page, explain that you have no car and someone will have to come get him. I've seen people drive states away to help a dog in need. Play up the sympathy angle (he's suffering right now, he'll probably die over the winter, etc.). A picture would help greatly. Someone will help even if it's not the animal rescue themselves. Network!

Thank you! I will try this also as soon as I find him again to get a picture taken.