Beginner strength training ideas?

Options
Since I have only 6kg left to lose, I've been advised that strength training will really help increase my fitness and shed those last few kg, and I'm planning to do it at least 3x a week after cardio. The problem is, I have never really done strength training in my life, especially on my arms and core (legs are okay because I do ballet, which involves lots of lunges, squats, etc...). I can barely do 5 tricep dips or push-ups, let alone 30 repetitions, and I don't want to injure myself and end up not being able to train for a week. I also don't have access to any weight equipment at the moment.

Can anyone link me to useful websites, or suggest routines for a beginner like me?

Replies

• JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Everyone touts "You are your own gym" but i have not tried it myself....

You say you can barely do 5 of this exercise or that. So do 5.

If 5 sets of 5 bodyweight exercises pushes you to your upper limit then do that many.... then next time do 5 sets of 6 if you can. once you can do that, 5 sets of 7 and repeat....

Strength training is relative. As long as the work you are doing is placing the muscle under duress and you are alway looking to push what you can done you will see the benefits.
  • Nooditaur
    Nooditaur Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I should build up from what I can do already - thanks for the advice!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com has a beginner body weight strength program posted. Or You Are Your Own Gym as mentioned. I have the book and the app. It's a great program, I highly recommend it. Especially purchasing the app.

The point isn't to be able to do 30 repetitions of 1 excercise. In fact, once you can do 12 reps with perfect form, you should move on to a harder variation to continue building strength.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Don't do it AFTER cardio, for one. Strength training ought to be given the most fuel you can afford to give it. If you have no access to weight training equipment, I'd advise starting out by purchasing a doorjamb type pull-up bar and start out with bodyweight squats, pushups, and chin-ups. Look into the Convict Conditioning program and do a lot of reading on why resistance training is important for people trying to lose fat and look better. It's a huge and fairly complex issue.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Everyone touts "You are your own gym" but i have not tried it myself....

You say you can barely do 5 of this exercise or that. So do 5.

If 5 sets of 5 bodyweight exercises pushes you to your upper limit then do that many.... then next time do 5 sets of 6 if you can. once you can do that, 5 sets of 7 and repeat....

Strength training is relative. As long as the work you are doing is placing the muscle under duress and you are alway looking to push what you can done you will see the benefits.

Agreed.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym is a great resource. However it is not fully equipment free. You will need to rig a pullup bar, a suspension trainer, or something else along those lines to do the portions that work the upper back. These muscles are only worked by resisted PULLING movements, not resisted PUSHING, which is impossible when all you have is your bodyweight and the floor.

Recommend picking up a suspension trainer. Trust me. You won't regret it.
  • Nooditaur
    Nooditaur Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the useful input everyone! I think I'll alternate between cardio 3x a week and strength on days between. I'm going to uni in a week and I heard their gym is pretty well equipped, so I'll see if I can access any of the equipment for You Are Your Own Gym there. There's bound to be pull-up bars and weights also.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the useful input everyone! I think I'll alternate between cardio 3x a week and strength on days between. I'm going to uni in a week and I heard their gym is pretty well equipped, so I'll see if I can access any of the equipment for You Are Your Own Gym there. There's bound to be pull-up bars and weights also.

If you have access to weights you don't have to do You Are Your Own Gym. That is a 100% bodyweight based program and the only equipment you need is a pullup bar or something along those lines. However if you have access to a gym there is plenty more you can do.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you are going to have access to a fully stocked gym in a week, get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and follow the program. Best intro to weight training money can buy.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    For right now, bodyweight exercise might be good for you, but you're going to reach a point where you can do more, and have to leave bodyweight exercise behind. You WILL NOT get bulky working with heavy free weights, **** as a man who is trying to get bulky it is taking me forever and a lot of proper dieting.

Like the previous guy said Starting Strength is a good program, but I would also like to suggest StrongLifts 5x5. They might intimidate you at first (or not) but don't sweat it, this is basic stuff and you'll get used to it quick. Just make sure you are being safe, and sticking with a program.

You'll see your results. Only thing you should avoid is fancy exercise programs and barbie weights that promise special results. Stick with the basics, keep it simple and smart, and you'll out class the "trends", no doubt.
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me, just commenting because I have the same question and I want to save these great responses. Thanks OP and everyone who answered! :)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Oh by the way, if you're looking for some core exercises, the only one I do is "Standing Cable Crunches". Look it up, these are so much better than situps or regular crunches IMO. I was avoiding working my abs until I found these, they are great and you can do them indefinitely since you can just keep upping the weight as time goes on.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I can barely do 5 tricep dips or push-ups, let alone 30 repetitions
    Do you have any idea of how many women cannot do 1 tricep dip or push-up? You are stronger than you think.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you are going to have access to a fully stocked gym in a week, get Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and follow the program. Best intro to weight training money can buy.

^^^ This exactly.