????? elliptical calories vs. treadmill calories

Options
So to me the elliptial is easy. It has an incline and I usually do level 6,7, or 8 as well as a comparable resistance.
When I "run" I cannot possibly go faster than a 10:30 pace for to long.

The calorie burn when i imput my weight and age shows a similar result for treadmill and elliptical. HOWEVER I really feel the treadmill is harder for me. I work harder, sweat harder, want to quit more.... so I tend to choose the treadmill.

????? am I suffering needlessly, should I be using the easier elliptical or do you think I am right in thinking that the more difficult burn is more of a burn true reflection of calories... YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE

Replies

• katiehrgovic
    katiehrgovic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Op, just a bit of advice, try and keep in mind that the "Calories Burned" counter on most cardio machines are notoriously incorrect. Even with putting in your weight/height/age/sex whatever, it is not calibrated to your body. You can expect they burn roughly 10% less than you'd expect after inputting your stats (still, I'm pulling this 10% out of thin air :P). Just know, they are often vastly off, and you shouldn't pay much attention to them, other than to have a very general idea of how many calories you are burning.

Now, there is no difference in an "Elliptical calorie" vs. a "Treadmill calorie".

Elliptical machines can be easier on a person's knees which might make it seem like the easier cardio to perform. Do cardio that challenges you. Try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). With HIIT, you're usually doing sprints mixed with a period of "rest". (google it, lots of info out there)

In conclusion, if you feel you are "suffering" whilst running, then simply DON'T DO IT. Do what you enjoy, maybe try the rowing machine, or even the stairmaster / stairmill if your gym has one. But make sure you keep in interesting and challenge yourself! :)
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • StangMan12
    StangMan12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a Recumbent stationary bike and a Treadmill, both have calorie counters. I was surprised at first that my numbers on the treadmill was around twice as much as the bike but it does make sense. Sitting on the bike, legs are the main working muscle group where the treadmill basically has to use every muscle group plus my full body weight adding more to the workout which and burns a lot more calories.

I agree though that it's hard to trust calorie counters but mine seem to be fairly accurate IMO. You might do some Google searching to find comparison calorie counts for your type of machine.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I saw a report a couple of months ago about the accuracy of machine calorie counts. If I remember correctly, most overestimate, but elliptical machines overestimated by up to 40%. Thread mills are better, but still overestimate by 10 or 12%.

I don't rely on the machine calorie counts too much. I always enter in a weight that is about 20 pounds less than I weigh though and use it as a rough guide. For the elliptical, I reduce my entered weight and take off a couple hundred calories.
  • blackermagic
    Options
    Running burns the most calories of any exercise. Interval training is great as mentioned by poster above. I can't speak of the accuracy question, but just enter the amount of time you ran or elliptical'ed into MPF.

If its harder to run for you, then it probably is doing more for you. Some pain is good...but just don't get injured.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I keep choosing the treadmill because it is harder, and I can do it, so why not do it.... I really do think it is either more accurate in calorie count or burning more calories than the treadmill FOR ME! Perhaps its the way I do it, as I am holding onto the handles of the elliptical but will not hold on on the treadmill.
    I started doing a routine today which includes intervals (sucked) and small hills (yesterday) nice change to the workout to keep the body quessing and allow me to get to my goal which is 10 minute mile for 6 miles.
    I figure if it works, don't change it.... change it if it doesn't work.
    Thank you for the varied ideas and insight to my question. All valid and good points.
  • Bluetoast
    Options
    I had a simiar question. I may do 30 minutes on the eliptical on level 3 and it reports that I burned about 100 calories. But the tracker may say that I burned 250 or more. (can't recall exact number at the moment)

It seems to me that the MFP is vastly overestimating calories burned.

What do you think? What would you estimate with such a vast diveristy of estimate?

In a way, it doesn't matter b/c I never "use' the extra calories that I burn to eat more - but I may want to in the near future. ;-)

Thank you!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The elliptical feels easier because of the lack of impact vs. the treadmill. But you are running the entire time on the elliptical.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Why don't you use BOTH, one day use the elliptical, one day use the treadmill? You really shouldn't be doing the same cardio every day, you should be switching it up to keep your body guessing.
  • cnf2013
    cnf2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you really want an accurate calorie burn I'd suggest investing in a heart rate monitor. You can pick one up for pretty inexpensive. That will solve this full dilemma.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that a person burns more calories on a treadmill than they do on an elliptical.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    If you really want an accurate calorie burn I'd suggest investing in a heart rate monitor. You can pick one up for pretty inexpensive. That will solve this full dilemma.

Yup. This. If you really want to see what the difference is, the more accurate way to go would be to get an HRM. Even those could be off, but will be vastly more accurate than the machine counters themselves. Then you could try all different mixes of things to see what you like best and what your average burn is. :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    Studies have shown that a person burns more calories on a treadmill than they do on an elliptical.
    What studies?

And you cannot possibly make a blanket statement like that since intensity and speed play huge roles in calorie burn. Someone who goes faster at a higher intensity or incline on the treadmill of course will burn more than on an elliptical and vice versa. But if you're faster and more intense on the elliptical (which is less impact and therefore easier to do that on), you'll burn more on the elliptical.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Both burn calories! One a it more than the other but is that the defining reason to choose one over the other?

Pick the one you like the most and can see yourself not getting bored and quitting.

As much as this is about exercise and getting fit, if it feels like a chore you're more likely to give up.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor. I use one and its amazing how different the calories burned are on my monitor vs the treadmill & ellipitical.
    For me the elipitical is harder....i prefer the treadmill. But I do both anyways. I add in the stationary bike sometimes too.
  • Bluetoast
    Options
    Can anyone recommend heart monitors? I don't know where to start..... Thank you.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    .... my goal which is 10 minute mile for 6 miles.

I don't know if you plan on running a race or anything like that. I would just like to say a 10 minute mile for 6 miles on the treadmill will likely not translate to the same speed/distance outside.
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    I don't know the exact difference in calorie burn, but I do know that I spent months and months running on the elliptical machine and my weight plateaued around 135 pounds (from 155). I started running on the treadmill in the winter and outside on the sidewalk in the summer (for the same duration as I used to use the elliptical), and lost those last 10 lbs that I wanted to. So it seems like running on the treadmill is more effective for me at least
  • dpdsouza
    Options
    Being someone who tends to quit easily , I would prefer doing something that makes me NOT want to quit over something that produces better results but may push me to quit.

I only exercise on my home elliptical. No time for the gym, nor for the treadmill. Hate the treadmill anyway so my point is only from my elliptical experience.

On a workday I usually do not do more than 30 min but I used to take it to 60 min on weekdays. Once I felt comfortable with a level I would go up to the next. went up to level 4 but never beyond that. I used to love the euphoria of having earned "bonus" calorie burn(My machine has a simple calculator that doesnt factor in body weight so for 30 min it shows 150 cal and for 60 min it shows ~330). Problem was that it would stress my body out and increase the aches or just add to my feeling of uneasiness. After two days of doing 60 min the stress would ensure that I avoided doing it on Monday, and then maybe Tuesday too.

So for the past two months I have stuck to two rules:
    1) Never more than 30 min on any day
    2) Never increase the level.

And I am happy to say that I have been able to stay on the wagon much better now than I used to before. The loss of 60 min on weekends is compensated by not missing on the weekdays.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Can anyone recommend heart monitors? I don't know where to start..... Thank you.
    Go with the Polar brand. Which one you get depends on what bells and whistles you want and how much you want to spend.