Weird looks at the grocery store

Options
So I went to the store today and I’ve been trying to be extra careful about what I eat but my diet hasn’t changed much. I try to eat organic as much as I can but alas I am a poor college student and it just doesn’t work that way some days. As I was going through the isles in a college town I kept getting really weird looks from people about my cart. Since I am trying to eat healthy there was nothing boxed in the cart, everything was fruits, veggies or meat. I think people are judging me about what I have in my cart because I am over weight. Is this really the norm that we expect all people who are over weight to eat terrible things? I know that I’m trying to lose weight and I’ve struggled with my weight but I’ve never been a pop drinker or a chip eater. The only things that I can truly say, that I ate on a regular basis, that were bad for me as I gained weight were ice cream and pizza. I want everyone out there to know that just because I am over weight doesn’t mean I eat unhealthy and it doesn’t mean that I gained that weight by eating unhealthy either, I gained weight because I ate too much, not because I wasn’t eating the right things.

I feel accomplished that everything in my cart today was organic or fresh but I wish that we didn’t have these types of stereotypes.

Replies

• cindyss
    cindyss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't let what anyone else does get you down, when you are shopping buy what you want and need, if they get close enough to you and are looking funny just ask then if they have an suggestions on how to prepare something in your basket....I find most people aren't really paying attention to anyone else anyway, so just keep doing what you need to do.
  • takethepieces
    Options
    I know what you mean, but in a different way.

I got over weight not by eating too much, or eating everything in sight, I mostly became over weight by eating the wrong things. I often ate much less than my very thin boyfriend, but I ate all the wrong things and didn't have the metabolism he does! I hate the stereotype that if someone is over weight they constantly eat. I mean, I've read things where people have said they ate huge amounts, but I've never done that and still ended up huge!
  • lpkitty
    lpkitty Posts: 45
    Options
    You make an excellent point that overeating is not good for you regardless of what you're eating. I'm sorry about the people at the grocery store.
  • emkam11
    emkam11 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    hey hunni dont you worry about what everyone eles thinks hun ,
    you just remember taht everything you have in there is all good stuff and tehy may look at you weird hun but its just because they dotn have the will power that you do ,to eat healthy , sod them is what i say ,
    hun i got funny looks tday as half my trolly was full of goodies and rubbush witch was for my hubby andtreats for the boys and the other half was all healthy food, thing is the none healthy stuff is what i buy like once a month for them to have throughout the month but the veg ect only last like 3 days lol

keep ur chin up hun and be proud of what you r doin
    xx
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt anyone is thinking anything about your shopping cart. People are far too self-absorbed to care about what you're doing.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Who really cares about what anyone else thinks about what's in your cart. Really. Does it matter. They aren't the ones that are eating it.
    You are.
    You're the on that is trying to healthy.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    wow i was literally just talking to my hubby about that same problem.....my opinion.......screw 'em. I do whats right, they can kiss my fat a@# lol
  • bree5291
    Options
    I can relate; I too used to get looks at the store when I was in college because I wasn't buying easymac and pizza. Keep going! You will reach your goals. FORGET everybody else. So not worth it!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: weird human nature to poke into other's business or form a snap judgement. let it go and focus on you and your goals. Getting looks at the gym, out for a neighborhood walk or wherever happens. You ignore it and the ignorance is bliss types and do what is best for you.

Good luck on your journey!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Since I've been focusing on healthy eating, I've noticed a lot of people in my local supermarket studying packaging for nutritional advice, filling their baskets with fruit and veg, and thinking: good work people!

Of course, there will always be people who believe in stereotypes and maybe pass judgement... maybe not. Nothing to get worried about though.

Do your thing and be happy!
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    your topic reminded me of a news story I read the other day about a professor who lost weight eating all the wrong things, His point was that it certainly wasn't healthy in the long run, but if weight loss is your only goal it is all dependent on how much you eat, not what. (see http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100264421&GT1=31036).
  • Ford4x4lady
    Options
    I have the same thing happen with me. Ignore them.. Easier said than done.

What gets me is people thinking that you want to eat non-stop.. I'm overweight because of bad choices not eating all the time
    Why is it when you are heavy - everyone shoves food at you?

Hang in there - You are making better choices & its none of their business :)