Can coffee hinder weight loss?

Options
I'm 21 and an artist and need coffee to stay awake. I'm also 174 lbs at 5"3 and want to lose weight but can drinking coffee hinder the weight loss? How many cups should I stick to a day?

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If you put a ton of sugar and cream in it and go over your calories, sure. Otherwise, not plain coffee on its own.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    no, it doesn't. I think a brewed cup of black coffee has about 4 calories, so if anything it's not a bad thing to include. calories can stack up if you add cream or sugar but even then just account for it and enjoy.
  • samammay
    Options
    A lot of it is going to depend on how you take your coffee.

IF you take it black, its got like 2 calories a cup. Nothing to worry bout there. That number goes up if you add milk/sugar/whatever.

Caffeine isnt great for your heart, but shouldnt affect weight loss significantly.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and an artist and need coffee to stay awake.

Quality sleep time is a huge help to weight loss and diet control. Using caffeine as a replacement for quality sleep is going to have all kinds of biochemical and hormonal effects on your inner workings.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Coffee is basically calorie free and contains caffeine which provide a small boost in metabolic rate when you drink it. It is unlikely to inhibit weight loss.
  • shawnatheobald
    Options
    It hasn't impacted me any! I have about 2 cups a day of black coffee and still losing weight.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    My diary is 80% coffee or coffee related stuff. I seem to be doing OK.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Nope, no and h@ll no. There is more and more evidence that coffee is actually GOOD for you. And who wants to live without it?
  • SwellyStyles
    Options
    I drink 4+ cups a day, black. Sometimes I'll add some calorie free sweetener like truvia or Davinci's syrup. I don't count it, don't need to. Sometimes I feel like a treat so I'll get a caramel macchiato or something from starbucks, but I'll count that into my calories for the day. Black homebrew I never count...it's got like 5 calories per cup..you probably burn that making the brew and lifting the cup LOL
  • kathykatkitty
    kathykatkitty Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    limit your self. I use splenda and one level tablespoon of coffeemate in a 12 oz cup, it's 20 calories. I just count it in as part of my calorie intake.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and an artist and need coffee to stay awake.

Quality sleep time is a huge help to weight loss and diet control. Using caffeine as a replacement for quality sleep is going to have all kinds of biochemical and hormonal effects on your inner workings.

This is so true...lack of sleep causes hormonal changes that actually increase your appetite. Coffee itself won't hinder you loss, but if you are using it to combat lack of sleep, that could make it difficult to stick to your goal.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    no... not unless you add cream/sugar, etc... to it and don't count those calories...
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    coffee hasn't hindered mine
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think coffee is fine in moderation. I try to have no more than 2 cups a day.

For me its all of the things that coffee brings with that hinders weight loss: the milk, the sugar, the Baileys, the pastry...
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Pzi39nM.jpg
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and an artist and need coffee to stay awake. I'm also 174 lbs at 5"3 and want to lose weight but can drinking coffee hinder the weight loss? How many cups should I stick to a day?

I have 1 or 2 cups of coffee most days, and my cups are 10oz each. I put 1 stevia and up to 1/4 cup of almond milk in it, and it is STILL only like 20 calories per cup.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If you're buying mocha's and lattes and not adding it to your calories then yes, it will hinder weight loss.

I have 1-2 cups of coffee a day with flavored creamer and sugar. I never log this or weigh out the creamer. It has not hindered me at all. Some people, I know need to weigh out everything but for me, this works fine. I know some people log everything but I'm usually under my goal by a 100-200 so for me, adding it hasn't made a difference.

But coffee, a little creamer or sugar shouldn't hinder you. it's the cream/sugar that add calories but if you're counting them and they're within your goal, you should be fine. If you're usually close to your goal, I'd log cream/sugar.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can hinder your weight loss depending on how your body handles it. For instance, I was an extreme coffee addict, and the way I prepared it was 1 splenda packet and 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk. 30 calories for my cup Doesn't seem like much right? Till I started suspecting it was causing an issue with my weight loss, here are the reasons why:
    1. curbs appetite, which generally leads to overeating later in the day because you didnt eat bfast, or lunch, or whatever meal you skipped because you didnt feel hungry. In my case, instead of eating 1500 cals throughout the day, I would eat 2000, half at night.
    2. caffeine can screw with your blood sugar and insulin levels, leading you to crave sweets and binge eat.
    3. SPLENDA IS THE DEVIL!! lol jk, but seriously, splenda is awful. soooo much research has shown that ALL artificial sweeteners actually make your body think it is hungry. Additionally, it is about 7000 times sweeter than natural sugar, so when you eat sweets, you need more to feel satisfied because taste buds become desensitized. Also, research shows splenda causes people to eat MORE calories. ex. people who drink diet soda exclusively over regular sodas will gain more weight in studies. drinking the 200 calorie can saves you from eating an additional 400 calories later in the day if you would have taken the artificial sweeteners.

Obviously not everyone reacts this way, but my body did. I stopped drinking coffee entirely, and have not binge snacked or had a hard time controlling sweet cravings or junk food in over a month. A couple days ago, I caved and had a cup with some splenda, and in the evening felt STARVING and ate a whole bag of chocolates. I truly believe coffee was the problem. Yes, it ups your metabolism, but if you eat more calories that effect is offset.

I lost 5 lbs within 2 weeks of quitting coffee after not losing a lb since March.
    Just something to think about. Plus after getting over withdrawals, I feel more awake and alert without the coffee, its a different kind of energy.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I have 1 or 2 cups of coffee most days, and my cups are 10oz each. I put 1 stevia and up to 1/4 cup of almond milk in it, and it is STILL only like 20 calories per cup.

Btw, in addition to my other comment, I'm also in the same group as you. 21, started at 188, now 159