How much should I weigh?

Options
13»

Replies

• llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I heard that Marilyn Monroe was the same as an English size 16 which is the same as an American 12 - seriously curvy x

An American size 12 from 50+ years ago wasn't anywhere near as large as its modern counterpart. More like a current 4, if that large.
  • enigrebua
    enigrebua Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You can use things like a BMI calculator to get a rough idea of the margins you fall into, but remember BMI does not take into account your individual build (some people carry more muscle, some carry more fat, some people have larger skeletons etc. which all impacts how light or heavy you are going to be at a healthy weight compared to someone else your height.). Basically, try not to obsess about the number (as difficult as that might be!) and remember to keep track of your measurements as well as your weight to gauge your progress more accurately.

Personally I have a build that is on the larger side - I've always carried around more fat and bone than my friends (male and female!), even from the age of 7 or 8, but I tend to retain proportion well, so I can lose or gain a stone or two and most people won't notice at all. I'm doing a lot more exercise now than I ever have and I'm finding that I'm able to reach much lower measurements (waist, hips, thighs etc) than I ever have before because those wobbly bobbly bits are more toned and muscular. I would much rather have a nice shape and fit comfortably into clothes that make me feel good about myself, than obsess over the fact that my natural build means I weigh more than a lot of girls my height. Hey, if we're the same dress size, we can still borrow each other's clothes, I don't care if you're 20lbs lighter than me!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    just set a realistic goal, and when you get there, YOU DECIDE if you are where you want to be, its a personal preference, to a point...
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Nuff Said!
    I am by no means trying to start a fight here, but a size 12 in those days was a lot smaller than a size 12 is today.
    To burst everyones bubble, mine included. Marilyn Monroe averaged 36-24-36 which is a modern day 6-8 in designer brands. The woman had beautiful curves. I think most women would kill to have that body. When we are talking about variance of personal bodies I know that the lowest I should go at 5'2" is 160. It really is what is right for your body.

She had a tiny waist. I'm a not so curvy 37-29-36 and wear mostly 4s, now. 40 years ago I weighed about the same and was a size 10.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My love handles are gone, and when I look straight down I see my belt buckle, my waist is a 28 or 29, depends on the brand, 2 sizes smaller than my length. 3 lbs to go. 155 was a number that I picked. If I am only there for 1 day, and stay under 160, I'm good. As I continue in the gym, that number will go up, but will mean something very different.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 112 pounds of solid mass and quite happy. Check out my pics:flowerforyou:
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I am by no means trying to start a fight here, but a size 12 in those days was a lot smaller than a size 12 is today.

But Marilyn Monroe was by no stretch of the imagination skinny. But she was effing gorgeous.

This has nothing to do with the original post, but Marilyn Monroe was tiny. She was curvaceous; she worked out and yes she was "effing gorgeous", but she was tiny. Her dressmaker said she was 5' 5" and was 35-22-35. Tiny...
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    according to bmi- 149 or less is healthy weight
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options

But Marilyn Monroe was by no stretch of the imagination skinny. But she was effing gorgeous.

This has nothing to do with the original post, but Marilyn Monroe was tiny. She was curvaceous; she worked out and yes she was "effing gorgeous", but she was tiny. Her dressmaker said she was 5' 5" and was 35-22-35. Tiny...
    Okay, so was she 36-24-36 or was she 35-22-35? Or something else? I see the Marilyn Monroe example a lot, and it's pretty inconsistent.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    According to a BMI calculator, anywhere from 94.5 to 127.5 can be considered a healthy weight for a woman five feet tall. Get to a healthy weight that's right for you; those numbers can be a guideline.
  • sazzyhalo
    sazzyhalo Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Her dressmaker gave her measurements and her clothes were displayed in London...her waist measured 22-23 inches and she weighed between 118-140 as she fluctuated a lot, plus she was pretty tall. Her dressmaker said she was never larger than a UK 10 (US 6) at her heaviest but looked curvier as she had such an extreme hourglass shape.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'3 and weighed 129 this morning. Last time I was this weight, I was a size 8. This time, I'm a size 4.

After years of listening to my husband tell me "the scale doesn't matter," I finally believe him. The # of the scale is only a single measure of your health. And honestly, BMI isn't much better. I'm the same BMI as before, BUT am a 4 vs. an 8.

Like other posters have said, there isn't a specific # on the scale you should be. I started focusing on fitness goals rather than weight, and that has made a big difference for me.
  • MorganBody
    Options
    90-110lbs according to weight charts.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'3 and weighed 129 this morning. Last time I was this weight, I was a size 8. This time, I'm a size 4.

After years of listening to my husband tell me "the scale doesn't matter," I finally believe him. The # of the scale is only a single measure of your health. And honestly, BMI isn't much better. I'm the same BMI as before, BUT am a 4 vs. an 8.

Like other posters have said, there isn't a specific # on the scale you should be. I started focusing on fitness goals rather than weight, and that has made a big difference for me.

I have a story about this... not related to OP's issue, but about how sizes have changed so much over time... In my 20's, I dabbled with an eating disorder. I'm 5'6" and was down to ~118. Although I looked good in clothes, it was pretty miserable--I was cold all of the time and it hurt to sit too long because I had no fat left on my butt. Anyways, what started this all off? This adorable little grey flannel wrap skirt that I bought at the Gap. It was a size 12, and the first time I wore it my sister told me I could stand to lose 5 pounds for it to look good (I was ~135 at the time). So I lost weight. And kept losing. Eventually that skirt was a little bit too big for me as I was down to a size 6.

Between then and now (~20 years later) a lot has happened. I got married, had a kid, gained weight, lost weight. Earlier this year I was back down at 135 again. Wearing a size 6 from the Gap and moving towards a size 4. The little grey flannel wrap skirt still lives in the back of my closet, so I tried it on. I couldn't button it. *Sigh*
  • lilmissvoid824
    Options
    I am also 5 ft tall and I have always been super curvy even when I was 118 lbs ( size 4 or 5). I was really in shape. I don't think my body type would be healthy looking at any less weight. At 125 lbs I was a size 7. Which Is what I actually prefer even though most they say for my height 125 is overweight by 5 lbs. At 125 I measured 34-28-37 & at 118 I was 32-27-36.
  • sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Size 12 in her day was about a 6 today. I even read that a 0 today is an 8 from the 60's, and I believe it, I remember being 99 lbs. at 5'1" in the early 70's and a size 5 pair of jeans in juniors was too small. That size 5 was probably smaller than 00 is today, but it was the smallest junior size there was, there were no 3's, no 1's, no 0's, etc.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Small frame is 117-130, medium frame is 127-141, large frame is 137-155lbs. Hope this helps!!!

she's 5' 0.5" not 5'5"

Thank you for catching that! I was ....concerned....

Check out this site: http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/ I am personally not happy with the weight they suggest I should be at but it is interesting.
  • WrkinProg55
    WrkinProg55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I weigh 132 and am also 5'5. ALSO my goal is 125 and my belly is my problem area. I have always thought 125 was a perfect weight for 5'5 female. BUT I only have 7 more lbs to go and I feel like for my belly to be where I would like it to be I may have to go lower. But in order for you to be really happy with your over all look being tone is the key is what I hear. And muscle (so I'm told) weighs more then fat.