Healthy snacks and/or small meals ideas

Options
Hello,

I am finding myself really hungry throughout the day, especially between meals. I usually have breakfast around 5 AM, then I have to wait till noon to have my lunch, then I will have dinner around 8 at night. As you can see I am not eating for a long time, and when I do snack its usually bad things like ice cream, chips, or candy because its easy to grab. I am also finding myself getting burned out on eating baby carrots and celery for snack as well. Therefore I need help with coming up with healthy low calorie snacks and/or small meals so I don't feel really hungry throughout the day.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Berries, grapes, nuts, seeds, low sodium jerkys, low-sugar protein bars and shakes, yogurt, and cheese and crackers are some of my go-tos.
  • michybeans
    Options
    Some of my favourite snacks are nuts, grapes, oranges, apples, toast and jam, protein powder mixed with milk (or water), a light salad, sugar snap peas (so crunchy like chips! mmm)... Hope that helps. I like to change it up too as I get bored of eating the same things.

Oh and drinking lots of water helps you stay full for longer too.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I just recently started buying Special K brownie bites(I like the blondie ones) and they taste like super soft chewy cookies :) Only 100 calories per pack, so not too shabby. I'm not a big snacker on fruits or veggies so I try to atleast stick with the proportioned snacks or like Fiber One 90 calorie bars are really good too. I was doing pretzels, but found myself going WAY over 28 sticks ;)
  • samwilliams1988
    samwilliams1988 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! These are great ideas! Keep them coming. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars
    Greek yogurt with fruit
    Cheese and crackers
    Oatmeal
    Muffin pizzas (English muffin with pizza sauce and part skim mozzarella)
    Small salad
    Eggs
  • wendyholla
    Options
    I just recently started buying Special K brownie bites(I like the blondie ones) and they taste like super soft chewy cookies :) Only 100 calories per pack, so not too shabby. I'm not a big snacker on fruits or veggies so I try to atleast stick with the proportioned snacks or like Fiber One 90 calorie bars are really good too. I was doing pretzels, but found myself going WAY over 28 sticks ;)

To keep myself within a serving size of things that come in a bag like pretzels or veggie chips (love the Tomato Basil ones from Aldi's), I weigh out a serving size and I only take that amount with me to work. I work at a desk and we all have a drawer full of snacks. If you like lemon, the Fiber One lemon bars are amazing!
  • samwilliams1988
    Options

To keep myself within a serving size of things that come in a bag like pretzels or veggie chips (love the Tomato Basil ones from Aldi's), I weigh out a serving size and I only take that amount with me to work. I work at a desk and we all have a drawer full of snacks. If you like lemon, the Fiber One lemon bars are amazing!

Ooo... I will have to try the Fiber One bars. Those sound really good. :)
  • samwilliams1988
    Options
    Again, thank you everyone!:happy:
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Almonds
    Kashi Peanutty Dark Chocolate Bars
    Fresh fruit (whatever's in season)
    Cheese and crackers (it's best to pre-portion the cheese so you only get one serving)

I also signed up for naturebox a couple of months ago. They send a variety of healthy snacks each month (my wife and I share the smallest box, which is 4 snack bags with about 4 servings each) and a serving of one of their snacks is good.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My main snacks are granola bars (100 cal or less), protein bars (180 cal usually so reserved for days where I have more calories to fill), 100 calorie popcorn bags (there's actually a LOT of popcorn in those bags), cheese and crackers (I found crackers that are 50 cal for like 10 crackers), individual tuna cups, green giant just for ones (veggies with sauce/flavor in individual microwavable containers, usually 80-100 cal), yogurt smothies that are in a bottle are my go-to's
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of program you are doing. But you might consider eating smaller meals so that you can have more than just the 3 meals a day. That would help control the insulin released in the body. 5 a.m. breakfast, 9 or 10 am, 2 or 3 then your dinner. This is how I done mine for quite sometime, and it worked for me..

The other way with snacks might get you some protein bars that are low in calories, but keep your metabolism burning. Or fruits & veggies. I freeze my grapes and banana's to help give me the crunchy feeling of eating. Read alot of times that will sufice your desire to eat by having something to crunch on.

Good Luck
  • stephjodell
    Options
    I needed to see this!! I am struggling with the very same thing!!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My go to foods are- banana (or apple) and peanut butter, quest protein bars or hummus and veggies. Sometimes I make a homemade trail mix and will snack out of that. Hard boiled eggs would be great, string cheese, beef jerky, greek yogurt, a handful of nuts.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Need this for days when I feel like I'm in a rut! I really enjoy snacking on fruit, almonds, protein bars, and boiled eggs.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I rotate between almonds, cottage cheese, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt mixed with cocoa powder, peanut butter and sweetener, beef jerky and protein bars.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack recently has been 122g low-fat cottage cheese with 10g honey and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Sometimes I chop a little fruit into it.

Before the cottage cheese I was really into those 100-calorie bags of popcorn, with Accent and basil sprinkled on. Before THAT it was half a small avocado (around 40g) diced up and mixed with a bunch of halved cherry tomatoes, all tossed with a little salt and balsamic vinegar. And before that it was Special K popcorn chips with the hottest salsa I could find.

None of these are over 130 calories, and they're all delicious and satisfying. Writing them out does make me see that I'm a rather fickle snacker, though. ;P
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    2x vitaweat crackers, 1x bega extra-slim cheese slice. 88 cals, quite filling.