BMR / TDEE ???? HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED

Options
Hi, back here again!!!! :mad: I am 50 in December, weight 98.2kg and am 168cm tall. I carry all my weight on my stomach and a bit in the rear.

I cannot for the life of me lose weight, its so frustrating and I very rarely go outside in public unless I have to, and then its quick. I hate being fat. I am a full time student so I sit at at home on the computer all day (Mon-Fri) studying. I do have a gym membership that I pay for but never go because I am too embarrassed at my size. I am too unfit to do classes.

I had breast cancer 3 years ago and put on the weight then, and its stayed.

According to a website: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
BMR = 1626
TDEE 1951
MFP = 5021kjs daily

Whats the best website for BMR/TDEE calculations.

I don't understand all this. What should my goal Kj be daily to lose weight? I do it in Kjs because most packaging does not have calories on them, just Kj.

Yes, I am going to start exercising via Wii and Leslie Sansone walking video's once my child is back at school next week. I admit I am lazy and a couch potato and know I have to move to lose weight. Why does fatty/junk food taste so good?

Can someone set me straight (in plain english terms) on how to do this.

Do you HAVE to eat back your exercise?

I don't have any clothes that fit anymore and dread going outside. If I could lose 10kg I could probably fit into all my clothes in my wardrobe. This is so depressing. Please don't bag me or put me down - I do that enough myself. :cry:

I am an extremely fussy eater and DON'T EAT salads, yogurts, fruit and most veg. I DO EAT carrots, spuds, pumpkin, peas, corn, meat (chicken, snags, lamb (roasted or grilled).

Help desperately needed.:sad:

I cook with an actifry and Mr T Flavourwave oven. I am addicted to honey/soy chips and ice cream. I drink heaps of water but love my Aldi Latte coffee sachets (up to 5 per day with lite milk and 2 sugars). I KNOW I KNOW - SUGAR.

Hating my weight and life at the moment.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Best and easiest way is to just let MFP do the math. Put your numbers in, choose your weight loss goal and eat to the budget it gives you. If you exercise you get to add those calories and eat some of them back. You don't have to eat salads, veggies and fruit to lose weight but it's going to be hard to fit all the things you like into a calorie budget that will allow you to lose.

You aren't addicted to any foods, you like them, you want them, you crave them but you aren't addicted. The first step is to put on your big girl panties and own up to your bad eating habits. If you really want to lose weight you'll need to confront your food issues and learn to eat better. We all love crap food but you have to make the choice between eating junk all the time and reserving it for the odd treat.

Sugar doesn't make you fat, fat doesn't make you fat, eating too much makes you fat.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mokey - for starters, I'd just enter the info into MFP and follow the plan. The system works, provided you enter your info correctly and use it as intended (remember that goal means GOAL, something you're aiming for, not something to fall well short of), and eating back at least a portion of your exercise cals.

Eat well, drink water, exercise, sleep well, take rest days, and have patience.

Log all your food as accurately as possible - keeping an accurate log is a fabulous tool, and looking back over a day or a week or two shows you where you made good choices, helps you see what foods are "worth it" to you and which aren't. You can see where you can make better choices, get more protein, etc.

Now help me out - what are kjs rather than cals, and is a snag a sausage??? :tongue:
  • brunettesrule
    Options
    kjs is kilojoules and a snag is a sausage..lol :smile:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    So you don't exercise at all? If the difference between your BMR and your TDEE is around 300 calories, that indicates a VERY sedentary lifestyle. I recommend eating 1600 calories every day and start moving. I don't eat a lot of veggies but I do eat fruit and aim to get high fiber breads when I eat them. Don't worry about what you're eating just yet... figure out how to stick to 1600 calories daily.

You will be able to do it, but unless you move more, you can only expect about half a pound weekly in weight loss... a little more, but not a pound a week even. In order to lose a pound a week you'd need a 500 calorie daily deficit, so your TDEE needs to go up through more activity.

So my recommendations:
    Eat 1600 calories every day of the week.
    Get moving: take the stairs, walk extra, park farther away, stand while talking on the phone instead of sitting etc.
    Don't add any exercise calories at this point

Once you're comfortable doing all those things, you can tweak your actual diet quality. For now, just hit that calorie target every day and don't go over.

Stay satisfied by eating protein every time you eat. Combine protein, high fiber and real fat for the best satiety. Drink water.