Fellow geeks for support?

Options
Hi All. Any fellow geeks out there looking to share some support and geekiness? I'm noticing most of my favorite activities, as a geek, don't offer much in the way of good calorie burns. Any suggestions?

Replies

• meiyoumao
    meiyoumao Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3566-the-geek-squid

A good group for fellow geeks. I am not quite sure how to turn my geeky activities into a calorie deficit but if you figure something out let me know.
  • Sagefemme76
    Sagefemme76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Fellow Geek here.....feel free to add me :) I've recently got into geocaching, which is a kinda geeky calorie burn if you look for caches which involve a bit of a walk/hike
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    i just want to add you for your ticker, one of the coolest i have ever seen on here
  • Sagefemme76
    Options
    Oh, and the Zombies, Run! App is lots of fun if you like to add a little geeky twist to a normal walk/run
  • Denise4141
    Options
    You just need to change your diet...what does ur daily food look like?
  • andy_geek
    andy_geek Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run!

Check my ticker :)
  • Denise4141
    Options
    You can add me as a friend, I'm not a geek however I do know how to stay fit and trim!:)
    I can help you too. And as long as you can do simple math you can lose weight!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge geek, and have turned into a bit of a fitness geek too. My workouts are a well needed respite from working 12 hour days.... and they are really my only coping mechanism with the stress that comes with high tech careers. I've started pacing while on conference calls, or taking them outside and walking around our giant parking lot. Whatever it takes....

Feel free to add me...
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Uh...I'm a sci fi reading, WoW playing, webmistress, librarian, computer science teacher. So, well...yeah. You can add me :)
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the Zombies, Run! App is lots of fun if you like to add a little geeky twist to a normal walk/run

I'm adding my vote in for this as well. I love it!
  • meiyoumao
    meiyoumao Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I'm adding my vote in for this as well. I love it!

I am downloading this going to give it a go tomorrow
  • Sagefemme76
    Options
    Zombies, Run!

Check my ticker :)

awesome!
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    hey, a fellow geek! what I usually do is do an exercise while doing whatever i am.. if I'm playing a game, I;d walk in place or something, if I'm reading a book I can cycle at the same time, etc'
    also, feel free to add!
  • Sagefemme76
    Options
    My daughter and I took a couple of archery lessons and I was amazed at the calorie burn when I logged it (although, I feel MFP calculations are a little on the high side).....will definitely love to get into it as a sport when I've finished studying and can afford the equipment. That's some expensive gear!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Ingress, I take it you have an android device.
    You have never walked as far in your life as you will to cap an enemy portal in Ingress.
    One of my friends climbed a mountain to cap a portal and I ran thru this morning's wind/rain storm to get one too.
    I can Farm portals for an hour without even realising where the time has gone
  • miller92020
    Options
    Fellow geek checking in. One thing I try to do when I'm pulling a gaming marathon is set a timer to do some pushups/situps etc every 30 min-1 hour. It helps a lot and also keeps you from being planted in one spot for too long! Feel free to add me, anyone!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek and happy to be one. :)

I also have fitness interests (obviously) and latterly meta-physical interests (there IS no spoon ;))

Qualifications for geekdom you say?

Software engineer for 20+ years, loved my ZX81 (with RAM pack, look them up kids!), loved Elite on my Acorn Electron (couldn't afford a BBC Model B), I quoted Pi at school to umpteen decimal places from memory (and got beat for it), I can quote Douglas Adams at length, I have played Dungeons And Dragons, I know what ASCII and EBCDIC stands for.

I have coded Assembly Language, let me in already. ;)

All hail geeks, y'all rock. :)
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek... new here
    geek qualifications - Majored in Maths and Physics in my Undergrad, Memorised entire episodes of Red Dwarf, Am not only using ww e tools, endomondo, MFP and Zombies 5K but also tracking in my own macro enabled spreadsheet (all the same stuff but "my way", in my family the jock has a PHd in hydrology (I'm the brain he's the jock), I never played WoW because I know I would get hopelessly addicted and go missing from the real world, I flew over seas to meet people irl I met in a text based MUD (yes we had to 'read' about our monsters we were fighting, and draw little ascii pics)...
    controversial ones - I read all manuals - cover to cover before I play the game or use the software - and got annoyed when they started putting them on CD in pdf format rather than giving you the hardcopy
    our fridge and cupboards are highly departmentalised and spices are practically in alphabetical order
    I made a Pi Pie to illustrate that pies are for eating and not charts/graphs
    I will email or sms people links to peer reviewed research studies to prove I was correct in an argument (just a little competitive on occasion) - "Well, Someone has to teach their silly arses!"

it goes on...

Database Developer/Analyst by day...
    Budding Runner 5, obsessed tracker of calories, points and adherence to current plans of weight loss action
    by rest of the day
  • williamparker4
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll definitely try some of these.
  • cjvelasquez
    cjvelasquez Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lol this is a great idea! geeks fighting the pounds!