New Runner-Pain Outside of Lower Leg

Options
Hi everyone! I already have an appointment to see my GP but I was just curious if anyone had experienced this and what it ended up being.

I've been working on building a walking base for the past few months. I can now walk 1-2 miles comfortably a few times a week, so I signed up for a local 5k program. The other day I jogged/walked a timed mile with no issues.

Tonight I came home, strapped on my new running shoes (fitted by a store) and set out for my first official training run. 2 minutes running, two walking, repeated four times. I didn't go fast or try to sprint, just a light jog followed by normal walking.

About 1/4 way through (after my first walking interval) I got severe pain in the outside lower part of my leg (below the knee). It was worse on my left leg but present to a degree in both. It caused me to limp and it was pretty painful. I finished the workout but not without some degree of difficulty. I had muscle weakness in my left ankle but it went away quickly.

I know I have a lot of weight to lose but with my walking base I thought I'd be okay starting a jogging program. Maybe I need to lose more first?

Any experiences/insights would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    my question is have you ever felt this pain before? i recently was fitted for new running shoes, a nice pair of nike's unfortunately, they take a lot of breaking in, before they could be running shoes, they had a much more pronounced arch then my other shoes and much like you I went out and tried to tackle a jog run, i learned shortly after that this was a bad idea my knees and feet killed me to the point I had to have a ride home. Now anytime i get new shoes I wear them to work for a few days and switch them out an hour into my shift, then 2 the next day and so on for a week, then I use them to run in. That way i am adjusted to therm. another lesson i learned recently, is if you run on a run with a ditch line on each side, that can often lead to hip pain, make sure you alternate sides of the road. hope that helps and good luck, i worked all summer and was finally able to run a 5K and have now started half marathon training :D
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are so technical now that you can practically run out the store with them. If your body isn't able to adjust to shoes after 2-3 runs you should take them back. The only true exception to this is if you are shifting from normal running to minimalist, which in that case you are changing your entire way of running anyway so it will take time to build upon.

Weight isn't going to be an issue. I have seen people 250/300+ lbs completing C25K.

Go see your GP, but if the pain continues I would consider taking the shoes back. Often times the shoe might fit in the store, but a mile or so in then they start to show issues.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Some really useful information on lower leg pain here:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/primer-lower-leg-pain

HTH
  • Trimiff
    Trimiff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a shin splint? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints. I got these when I first started running and it was down to upping the intensity too soon, not stretching and bad footwear. People that overpronate and dont use supportive shoes tend to suffer. Hope the link helps.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm cynical about the fitting of running shoes. Running stores are salesmen. they are trying to sell you a product if they don't have one suitable for you in their store I very much doubt they would send to another shop that sell them or recommend another product online. In all likelihood they will just sell you something anyway. Also most of these hi tech ways of fitting shoes (videos etc) the only training the store staff have had was 10 minutes with the rep that sold them the equipment. They will have no actual proper training in biomechanics.

I've found with shoes its been a matter of trial and error. I have now found ones that work perfect for me via research and various reviews etc. If your doctor does not find any obvious problem I would suggest looking at your shoes again
  • lruyter
    Options
    Try some exersices for IT band stiffness. Women commonly have this problem. I had a similar experience and I found when I stretched my IT band daily it solved my problem. Google will have lots of suggestions. I won't hurt to stretch it out if it turns out to be something else it will just increase your flexibility. Hope this helps you get back on the road.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone; I'll take a look at the link, too! I've never experienced this pain before and used to be a runner (way back in the day and 70 pounds ago) so it freaked me out a bit.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to update everyone, since you were all so since to respond. I talked to my coach and to my doctor (who talked to my ortho doc) and it turns out the issue is probably in my calf. Explaining it best I can, the calf muscle is tight due to strain, overuse, or underdevelopment, and that restricts blood flow giving me the muscle pain and weakness and the tingling in my foot.

My shoes are good (thankfully, because I love them and they help with my heel spur) so it is just a matter of using a massage roller before and after my runs and working on stretching and developing my calf muscle. If that doesn't work my doc also suggested compression socks to maintain bloodflow, so we'll see if it comes to that.

Thanks everyone for the help!
  • ricklapage
    ricklapage Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started the run / walk thing. I talked to the trainer at work and he nailed it. The calf muscle is in his words "clogged and tight" he showed me different stretching techniques that I do before every walk and I am happy to say they are pain free at 6 miles.

Keep up the good work
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to update everyone, since you were all so since to respond. I talked to my coach and to my doctor (who talked to my ortho doc) and it turns out the issue is probably in my calf. Explaining it best I can, the calf muscle is tight due to strain, overuse, or underdevelopment, and that restricts blood flow giving me the muscle pain and weakness and the tingling in my foot.

My shoes are good (thankfully, because I love them and they help with my heel spur) so it is just a matter of using a massage roller before and after my runs and working on stretching and developing my calf muscle. If that doesn't work my doc also suggested compression socks to maintain bloodflow, so we'll see if it comes to that.

Thanks everyone for the help!

I had this same thing happen! I thought it was possibly a blod clot because there was a visible bruise running down the inner calf on my left leg. A friend I grew up with is an ER doc so I called him and he told me to go in and it turns out it was a combination of a tight calf muscle and bad shoes. I still get pain every so often but no brusing like I used to get. Glad you were able to figure it out!